PSA: "Bluegate" is contagious (iPhone X)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: PSA: "Bluegate" is contagious...

Not overblown to me since it caused me to not buy the phone after seeing two in person.

Absolutely fair. It would indeed affect you if you made it your norm to look at the screen at an angle you might hold the phone if you were trying to show it to the person next to you.

For me, that 'once in a blue moon' (pun intended) that it might be observable to me, and the essentially cosmetic issue it would present, are something I'm very willing to accept to avoid what I perceive as completely functional deficits for all of the alternative flagship offerings.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Oh good. ANOTHER screen thread ..

It's the AMOUNT of tint that people point to folks, and I think everyone knows it. It differs from unit to unit on the 2 XLs so what one person sees may not be the same as the others. Mine tints A LOT. It's fine from straight on, so I don't mind it, but lets not conflate normal OLED off axis viewing with the AMOUNT of tinting that SOME of the 2 XLs are seeing (not all, pitchforks down). /end rant

Sorry, I guess that this post didn't include what I've said in similar posts in other threads, that I haven't seen a 2 XL in person, so I can't say if it's worse or not. But of the ones I currently have, 5 AMOLED screened phones total, all of them have it, and some are worse than others. You yourself said, it differs from unit to until, yet you seem to be mad if anyone says they don't see it as an issue. Maybe they have one that doesn't have the issue, or they're not as bothered by it.

But I guess from now on, everyone needs to be outraged anytime a certain percentage of the userbase has issues, whether it affects their specific devices or not. Otherwise we're just triggered defenders.

And btw, I don't even have a 2 XL, I have the regular 2. My point is everyone's losing their freaking minds over this. Is it not under warranty? It's not like you're in the hook to pay for repairs. And I'd bet if you raised enough of a stick about it, you could return it. So why the need to rail about it and nauseum? I'd imagine a lot of 2 XL's returned will send a louder message than posts on a forum. So rather than rant about it, return it, find something else to fit your needs, and be done with it.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I'm enjoying a non blue shifting OLED phone as I type this. There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with OLED. The Pixel 2 XL however looks pretty bad (the two phones I have seen)

That's certainly possible. Other phones shift to a different part of the spectrum, such as yellow or green... or the red tint that plagued Samsung S8's not only badly when viewed at an angle, but still visibly when viewed head on.

Funny how the press blow-up wasn't as severe for a company that spends tons more on advertising, and again how people accepted that Samsung would be able to 'fix' the issue with software (even though off-axis shift made it more noticeable) but refused to even consider the possibility that Google could address it in the same manner.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm not offended. It's just a little silly to conflate the 2 XL tinting (and dismiss it as you seem to be), with minor tinting on most OLEDs, including the iPhone X. In any case, no worries. It's a good thread for folks who don't care about such distinctions to say HA! SEE ? THEM TOO!

Ha! Very true. That does sum it up ..

You said in your first post in this thread that the amount of color shift differential from unit to unit, so not every device is as bad as the other. Perhaps the same thing happens with the X. With so few of them out, it's hard to say right now with any certainty, so to say they don't have the issue is a bit premature.

I don't think saying, "see they have the problem too" is any worse than saying "brand (x) doesn't have this issue". If you can contrast, shouldn't others be able to compare?

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site

Bluish tint on a google phone tilted at an angle and the internet goes crazy and everyone loses their minds, bluish tint on an iPhone tilted at an angle "it's not a deal breaker because it's imperceptible", Jesus Apple fans and critics are the epitome of hypocrites

DoctorOctagon

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site

Bluish tint on a google phone tilted at an angle and the internet goes crazy and everyone loses their minds, bluish tint on an iPhone tilted at an angle "it's not a deal breaker because it's imperceptible", Jesus Apple fans and critics are the epitome of hypocrites

Or the severity of tint is different, there is a spectrum between perfect and bad. The smaller Pixel 2 (for the phones I looked at) had a small amount of blue tint, but it was what I would consider insignificant....and the 2 XL next to it had enough blue tint that I decided I couldn't live with it. There was a significant difference between the two regarding off axis color shift. Bought a Pixel 2 and it should show up in the mail today or tomorrow.

graylingboy

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site

By rotating the Pixel 2xl through 90 degrees on it longitudinal axis you stop seeing Blue shift........ forum posts all the time. Cushtie!!

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site

I've just seen the Pixel 2 XL in person for the first time and, seriously, that's what people are up in arms about? It's nothing! It can barely be seen at all and you have to hold the phone the way no one holds a phone... I was amazed at how much nothing can become a SOMETHING-gate...

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I disagree. It depends on the individuals visual acuity. Everyone sees the world differently based on their vision. For instance, some people lack depth perception. I bet everyone seeing more blue might have vision impairments like being near or farsighted. There could be people who have stigmatisms who swear there is more of a blue hue. These panels are produced by robotic machines, not humans. They are all manufactured the same way. Visit a plant in Korea and you will see how the process works.

People who see less of a blue hue may or may not be able to pass a color vision test. Who knows, but I'm willing to bet my assertion is more accurate. It's not the panels, it's the people looking at the panels.

Case in point, in my 17 years of having to take a color vision test every year for work, I missed one of the test items at the age of 38. Never missed one before.

or...

Some are worse than others. Here are 2 together ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkW9Ab3QFJw

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

You said in your first post in this thread that the amount of color shift differential from unit to unit, so not every device is as bad as the other. Perhaps the same thing happens with the X. With so few of them out, it's hard to say right now with any certainty, so to say they don't have the issue is a bit premature.

I don't think saying, "see they have the problem too" is any worse than saying "brand (x) doesn't have this issue". If you can contrast, shouldn't others be able to compare?

Fair enough.

We have lots of reports of different 2 XL variance though, and none for the X, but I guess it is possible, sure.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

After using the regular pixel 2 for a week I was in BB today and checked out the Google display and the XL definitely had a strong blue at minimum angles , this is the 4th Display I have seen , the screen look fine the phone was nice I just noticed the blue, stronger than any other phone I've used or seen, I turned off the display mode to see if there was light retention or burning and I did not notice that

DoctorOctagon

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site

You posted a video of two phones out of the millions sold. Some hypocrisy there?

Except there have been tons of reports of people seeing significant blue shift so it's not just a couple phones. Google needs to get display models fixed if they are supposedly defective.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Fair enough.

We have lots of reports of different 2 XL variance though, and none for the X, but I guess it is possible, sure.

The X doesn't release until Friday. Also why would reports come to an android forum for an iPhone? :p.

Seriously I get you want to say let's not accuse stuff or say "LOOK AT THEM!" before hand but you're saying this ...

"This released phone has reports but this unreleased one doesn't."

Really? If you're going to be fair then be fair .. otherwise just chill.. because it seems a tad ridiculous to defend an unreleased phone about "no claims" since .. you know .. people don't have it yet ;).

Either way I don't care. Just don't pretend to be fair but yet... not. At least at the time of this post.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Fair enough.

Echoing what Almeuit said, the Pixels have been in customer's hands now for a couple weeks, whereas the X isn't released to the general public yet. And most of this whole debacle started after it got into the end users hands, not the reviewers. So why not wait and see what actually happens when the Xs get out into the wild before saying their color shift problems aren't an issue. I know some will say that with Apple's RDF, the fanboys won't say anything bad about it even if it has similar issues. But with the phone commanding $1000+, I have to believe that no one's going to be silent if they experience the issue.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

This video shows the difference between the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL pretty well: https://youtu.be/ixq2amdZ7S0

See this is what I meant when I said that the previous video showing color shift on two 2 XLs didn't look like 2 XLs but rather either two XLs from last year or two regular Pixel 2s. Note the rounded corners on the display of the 2 XL screen. The video that dsignori posted don't have that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel