Question Pseudo Mackafee notifications

Glyn Foster

Jan 6, 2022
Visit site
Somehow I’ve got notifications purporting to be from Mackafee, which somehow I doubt, that is nagging me by continually sending notifications every minute with all sorts of warnings to get me to sign up to what may, or almost certainly is not an order for payment for Mackafee. All seem to be from Iciaring.com. Can someone tell me how to get rid of this very annoying piece of software?

Android 13, Motorola Neo edge 40

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Somehow I’ve got notifications purporting to be from Mackafee, which somehow I doubt, that is nagging me by continually sending notifications every minute with all sorts of warnings to get me to sign up to what may, or almost certainly is not an order for payment for Mackafee. All seem to be from Iciaring.com. Can someone tell me how to get rid of this very annoying piece of software?

I'm betting it's a notification from a scam website that you unintentionally visited and agreed to receive notifications from. Can you show us a screenshot of one of those notifications?
I've seen lots of 'McAfee' phishing scam emails in the past, land in our Outlook Junk folders.
And always with weird email addy's. But typically spelled correctly, as 'McAfee'.

Haven't seen a 'Mackafee' notification.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've seen lots of 'McAfee' phishing scam emails in the past, land in our Outlook Junk folders.
And always with weird email addy's. But typically spelled correctly, as 'McAfee'.

Haven't seen a 'Mackafee' notification.

I suspect it may be the OP who's misspelling McAfee:).

Their issue is a little different from the usual spam email. They specifically talk about endless notifications -- these are often sent by a website via Chrome. It may be that, while visiting some terrible ad-ridden site, the OP got a browser popup that looked like some official (and scary) McAfee warning. Clicking on a link there could have led them to the full site that then asks permission to give notifications (as well as worse things, like malicious downloads masking as "antivirus" apps).

To see which sites have permission to give notifications, go to Settings>Apps, select Chrome, then Notifications, and scroll down to the Sites section. You can see if there's a specific site listed that's toggled on, and toggle that off. Or you can toggle off "All Sites Notifications"

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I suspect it may be the OP who's misspelling McAfee:).

Their issue is a little different from the usual spam email. They specifically talk about endless notifications -- these are often sent by a website via Chrome. It may be that, while visiting some terrible ad-ridden site, the OP got a browser popup that looked like some official (and scary) McAfee warning. Clicking on a link there could have led them to the full site that then asks permission to give notifications (as well as worse things, like malicious downloads masking as "antivirus" apps).

To see which sites have permission to give notifications, go to Settings>Apps, select Chrome, then Notifications, and scroll down to the Sites section. You can see if there's a specific site listed that's toggled on, and toggle that off. Or you can toggle off "All Sites Notifications"
Thanks for that important info! I haven't had any spam noti's like that, but will certainly save your helpful instructions, abv, in case I ever do. ;)

Glyn Foster

Jan 6, 2022
Visit site

One screenshot!

thank you - notification now shut down in 'apps' and silenced!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240405-223158[1].png
    Screenshot_20240405-223158[1].png
    335 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: B. Diddy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisashley2121