Purchase opinions

ronfc

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy S7 which I've used for almost two years. I'm contemplating whether to get Pixel, Pixel XL, or the Pixel 2 which are on my budget. What are the pros and cons of each and how the battery holding up? I usually charge 2-3x a day on my S7.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
The information is out there. Just do a Google search on the specifics you're interested in. I'd be a little wary of the OG Pixels as they are two years old. Only one more year of security updates and no more software upgrades. The battery will be deteriorating more. It's still a good phone, but it won't last as long as a P2.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
My P2XL still lasts all day. Charged it today at 14%. Had been on for 29 hours and had over 4 hours screen on time. I have an S7 edge and the camera on P2 is much better quality. I think you would like it very much.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Of the phones that you've listed as your choices, I think that the Pixel 2 XL would be the best. Although that specific one wasn't in your list, you did list the Pixel XL, which is comparable in size. After hearing about the camera for the last year, that's the one that I'd pick, anyways :).

ronfc

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Of the phones that you've listed as your choices, I think that the Pixel 2 XL would be the best. Although that specific one wasn't in your list, you did list the Pixel XL, which is comparable in size. After hearing about the camera for the last year, that's the one that I'd pick, anyways :).

Yeah, I didn't list it because it's way out of my budget, sells more than USD 700 on OLX, sort of like a Craigslist.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel 2's battery life was one of its weak points. My wife has a 1st gen Pixel XL, which still works well (although her battery isn't as good as my 2 XL's). If battery is important, I'd go for the 1st gen XL. Another nice perk of the 1st gen Pixels is that you get unlimited Original Quality photo uploads to Google Photos for life, while for the 2 and 2 XL, it's only until Jan 2021 (which doesn't really matter for most people, since they will likely upgrade to another phone before then).

No Portrait Mode on 1st gen Pixel cameras, but Lens Blur comes close. I'm pretty sure the camera got Night Sight (although it's not as good as on a 3).

ronfc

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
The Pixel 2's battery life was one of its weak points. My wife has a 1st gen Pixel XL, which still works well (although her battery isn't as good as my 2 XL's). If battery is important, I'd go for the 1st gen XL. Another nice perk of the 1st gen Pixels is that you get unlimited Original Quality photo uploads to Google Photos for life, while for the 2 and 2 XL, it's only until Jan 2021 (which doesn't really matter for most people, since they will likely upgrade to another phone before then).

No Portrait Mode on 1st gen Pixel cameras, but Lens Blur comes close. I'm pretty sure the camera got Night Sight (although it's not as good as on a 3).
I thought the battery levels out since even though the OG Pixel XL has a bigger battery, it also has a bigger screen to power?

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Ive owned a 2 XL but currently own an XL... The 2xls are still quite expensive, but the minimum is 64GB, the XL can be found for fairly cheap now at about £150 - £200 pre-owned, but youll mainly find 32GB kicking around, although Google is still offering unlimited cloud storage for the XL.

HTC also gave the XL stereo speakers, but Google disabled them... however, theres a mod on XDA to re-enable them on the XL, but I believe you need root first..

Depending on where you live some XL owners have complained about overheating issues, dropping / dead phone calls and battery drain.. although they mainly seem to be centred around the verizon CDMA version.. so if you do buy pre-owned see if your store has a return policy (avoid ebay though), In UK we have CeX who have a 48hr try and exchange policy..

Some owners have also complained of "AMOled / Pentile Burn-in" on the screen (yellow-ish patches) .. so check the screen using a white background before buying ..

Good news is though, XL security patches is still supported until Oct 2019, but no Android Q.. so another year yet..Yay :).... Its a great phone.. great speaker, awesome camera...

Well worth the money..

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Spending to buy a Pixel from an S7 seems counterproductive. It's same generation, same processor, so they're two years old as well. Can you still even find one that's brand new? It's likely a refurb and with a used battery as well. I'd rather get a new battery for the S7 installed for cheaper than a Pixel.
Pixel 2 on the other hand is one year newer and you can still find a few brand new ones, so that's an option.
Or get a mid-range Android One device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci