Pure Google Sacrilege (Note 8 love from a Google Fan)

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Does the fingerprint scanner placement and Bixby button bother you?

I have the original Pixel, and think the fingerprint scanner placement in the center works well. The Bixby button seems like it would be an annoyance, and I'm not sure if I want to invoke that accidentally.

How does the new form factor (tall and narrow) compare to the Note 5 (I had this one) and the original Pixel?

I've actually not had a problem with the fingerprint sensor on the Note 8. I don't think I've touched the cameras at all when looking for it.

Bixby button is never pressed by accident. I'm not annoyed by Bixby but in my effort not to have so many assistants, I do wish it could be disabled, totally.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
After many years with Windows Mobile/Phone, I moved to the Note 5 and my short lived Note 7. I went with the Pixel XL after the last Note 7 recall and mostly loved it. Loved the pure Google, the speed and the camera. I may be in the minority here that sometimes the camera would underwhelm.

I am back on the Note 8 and love it. Wish battery life was as good as my XL was. I've considered trying the XL 2 but want to let the dust settle from all of the screen issues.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I've actually not had a problem with the fingerprint sensor on the Note 8. I don't think I've touched the cameras at all when looking for it.

Bixby button is never pressed by accident. I'm not annoyed by Bixby but in my effort not to have so many assistants, I do wish it could be disabled, totally.

There's a setting to turn it off, isn't there?

macshaggy

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
I can't say anything about which Android is better I came from Apple and iOS arena for the past 8 years. I can say I bought a Pixel 2, as I'm not a fan and bigger than this form factor, even if it is taller and bit wider than my iPhone 6 was. I can say that I've been blown away by the P2 and really like it. I've had zero buyers remorse on purchasing it. I am quickly becoming a fan of Android.

Great post from @billykac!

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I can't say anything about which Android is better I came from Apple and iOS arena for the past 8 years. I can say I bought a Pixel 2, as I'm not a fan and bigger than this form factor, even if it is taller and bit wider than my iPhone 6 was. I can say that I've been blown away by the P2 and really like it. I've had zero buyers remorse on purchasing it. I am quickly becoming a fan of Android.

Great post from @billykac!

Thanks for that!

Great to hear that you love your Pixel 2. I think you'll find that there's a lot more freedom in the Android world than iOS to just do what you want, on every front.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I've never been a fan of "pure Android." I like features, features, features. Pure Android is like driving a car with a stick shift, manual breaks, manual steering, manual windows and only an AM radio. For some purists that sounds like a dream car. Not to me.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Maybe you can share, some of the maintenance things you do, to keep it crazy fast. I don't overload on apps, I keep background running to a miniumum, but even this weekend, I ran into a lot of lag in the browser. I'd like to avoid that stuff if I could...cause I'm not a google fanboy. I was a WP guy. They had to tear it from hands. I've tried to retrain myself from always saying....see...Android( or ios) has issues too. But I agree, this Note 8 is crazy good. Just, can you share any helpful hints with us Google haters.....

many thanks

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I have serious Google fanboy cred. I love the Google-verse, I am all in and have been so from the start, I crave the pure Android experience and have owned Androids from the start, I've owned Nexus and Pixel devices and I've helped Google with the development of Chrome OS. Safe to say, I am an offensive Google lover, and for the most part, I dutifully hate most everything that doesn't have a G on it.

But, a couple of years back I went AWOL and bought a Note 5. OMG - that thing was amazing. The design, build, features and that display - I was sold. Of course I made it look as much "Google" as I could and ran as many Google apps as possible. Curiously, since I pay attention to my phone and maintain it, it didn't have any experience any "Samsung Lag", like none. That N5 was a screamer. It led me to automatically to pre-order an N7, and we all know about that fiasco. I ran for the hills and was into a Pixel XL on day one.

The Pixel was a mix - I loved my return to the "pure Android experience", and the fast updates, kind of. But, for many Pixel owners, BT just didn't work, and Google could never figure it out. As with many Pixel owners, I went a year without enjoying reliable BT, and this was 2016/2017? With all of my Google love paid into the G Bank, they wanted nothing to do with those of us who had BT issues, except to give you another Pixel with broken BT. Very poor "pure Google experience".

So, move up a year and I am all in on the Pixel 2 XL - I pre-ordered like a dutiful Google fanboy and man, what a mistake. I ran head-long into the Pixel 2 XL Displaygate. I can't believe that Google released such a crappy product and at such a premium price tag. Sure, Google is trying to do their best at damage control, and they will probably push-out an update to fix one maybe two of the issues, but I don't believe that display will be "right" for a $1000 phone. This really sucks. I was going to pay a premium price for a phone that Google promised would be fixed - maybe just like they fixed BT in the past year. Sure, I love so much about Google, but I would have felt like a stooge to stay in that pre-order line. I bolted.

Enter the N8. This is where the sacrilege begins...

The N8 is in a different league than Pixel phones. The design is crazy beautiful, the build quality is exceptional, the software usability has been refined, the performance is blistering, and the display - OMG, the display is another order of magnitude from anything Google has ever offered.

What about the horrible Samsung lack of updates? I am here to tell you that Google's constant updates, in real life, are actually quite annoying with some apps being updated so often, I am digging through the update logs daily to try to figure out what has improved with each release, and it's almost never of any importance. This sounds like heresy, but Google's updates are quite oversold IMO. Sure, some security updates have benefit, but that's not the issue I am talking about here.

What about the horrible Samsung lag that eventually happens over time with all of their phones? How about we step-up and understand the impact of loading down our phones with crap apps and learn something about keeping our phones running well? Also, how about we talk about a subject that is relevant in 2017 and not 2012? Samsung has smartly scaled-down their apps, and it's just so simple to make sure things stay minimal. The performance benefits are amazing. I have never experienced any "lag" with my past Notes, and this N8 is stupid fast. And BTW, my Pixel could get bogged-down as well, but with a bit of TLC, I kept that phone running fast as well.

From being a Google fanboy that prefers Samsung phones, to questioning the real-life benefits of fast/frequent updates to not buying into guaranteed Samsung lag, there's lots of Google sacrilege here.

But man, did I mention that the N8 is incredible? I am soooo happy to be out of the Pixel world and back to a Note.
I remember being so obsessed with pure Android I tried pure Android ROMs in my Xperia X10, Galaxy S2, S3 and S4, and each time I came away disappointed as I lost functions the OEMs put over and above Android functions.

Pure Android is boring and overrated.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Note 8 "stupid fast" is about summed it up :). I have had Nexus 6, 6P, 5x, pixel and Pixel XL. And yep, i confirm Note 8 is stupid fast

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you can share, some of the maintenance things you do, to keep it crazy fast. I don't overload on apps, I keep background running to a miniumum, but even this weekend, I ran into a lot of lag in the browser. I'd like to avoid that stuff if I could...cause I'm not a google fanboy. I was a WP guy. They had to tear it from hands. I've tried to retrain myself from always saying....see...Android( or ios) has issues too. But I agree, this Note 8 is crazy good. Just, can you share any helpful hints with us Google haters.....

many thanks

Hey,
Sounds like you are on the right track. Doesn't matter what phone you are using: don't have an excessive number of apps installed, limit background processing, watch what's eating power and that can indicate where excessive cycles are being burned. One good practice that affects any Android phone is to avoid transferring your apps and data when you move to a new phone or do a factory reset. Best to install fresh, let the apps configure themselves for the current environment and avoid bringing forward any crap files laying around that were waiting for operating system housekeeping.

You mentioned lag on a browser and that raises flags, as it can easily be a multitude of variables beyond your phone: wifi interference affecting connection, router speed, ISP speed, and the latency found at the destination server once you connect, to name a few.

My Note 5 and 7 ran every bit as unburdened as my Pixel, b/c I kept them that way. Same for my LG G2 before that, my Galaxy Nexus before that, and so on. Never buy into the legacy mindset of unavoidable lag that manufacturers build in to their phones. It's 2017!!

Jaime Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
I've never been a fan of "pure Android." I like features, features, features. Pure Android is like driving a car with a stick shift, manual breaks, manual steering, manual windows and only an AM radio. For some purists that sounds like a dream car. Not to me.

Sorry, my car is stick shift..and everything else is electric and automatic..so I don't know what are you talking about..JiJiJiJiJiJiJiJi

Le0_Br4zUc4

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Does the fingerprint scanner placement and Bixby button bother you?

I have the original Pixel, and think the fingerprint scanner placement in the center works well. The Bixby button seems like it would be an annoyance, and I'm not sure if I want to invoke that accidentally.

How does the new form factor (tall and narrow) compare to the Note 5 (I had this one) and the original Pixel?

I have purchased every Galaxy Note series that came out on Verizon (I think it was the Note 2), Every Galaxy S7 series since the S2 and I also have tried any Nexus that worked on Verizon. Much like the OP and Note 7 fiasco, I got the Pixel XL. Always love Samsung's phones but the Pixel XL was fantastic. Amazing camera, great battery life and fast. Just looked really ugly.

I now use the Note 8, upgraded from the S8 Plus. The N8 is simply beautiful, not as much as the S8+ but still is beautiful.

The fingerprint placement is bad, I will try lie but I got used to it. I never thought I'd say this, but I use Bixby several times a day. I don't use it for anything web related, mostly to do things on my phone, like turn on blue light filter or some of the comands I created myself. The button, to use it for voice commands is great. I disabled it to open the Bixby Feed.

To me, after using Nexus and Pixel there isn't really a way to compare them to Samsung's devices. Samsung has the most amazing displays you'll ever see on phones (The Note 8 feels like it's just floating on the phone without glass). Build quality, design, curved screen and even Samsung's apps are great now. The browser is incredible, gallery has a ton of features and I still use photos to back up my pics. I prefer Samsung's calendar over Google's calendar too.

Samsung is simply head and shoulders above any other Android manufacturer, with trimming down their software they just got a whole lot better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edneil1967