Q: How do people create seamless homescreen design?

captivedroid

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I've had Samsung phones for over 10 years. But I've never made a custom homescreen.

I've always been pretty intimdated, tbh.

But my curiosity has always been how people make their homescreen design so seamless and not clunkly. It seems like you have to be a graphic designer to find the right wallpaper, widget and layout.

So what's the secret?

cD

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Here's an article. https://www.androidcentral.com/theming

Like @mustang7757 and the writer of the article stated, it's just something that I played with over the years since I got my first Android devices.

For wallpaper, I like Zedge. I use both Goodlock Themepark and Nova Launcher to change my icons depending on whether I'm using OneUI or Nova as my default launcher. I like to change them up from time to time. I get my fonts from Galaxy Store and icons from Play Store.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, it's probably kind of a trial and error thing. I've gone back and looked at old home screens from previous phones that I've posted here in the Android Central forums and laughed at how bad they look. You just gotta dive in. Keep playing.
I always thought your home screens were amazing! Very coordinated & easy on the eyes.

captivedroid

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Anyhow, I feel like if I were to try, it'd turn out like an amateur 90s rap homemade cd mixtape cover.

Most home screens I've seen looks like they had some final magic wand that tapped the home screen, and everything from icons, colors, widgets, and wallpaper design look, well, ... easy.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Anyhow, I feel like if I were to try, it'd turn out like an amateur 90s rap homemade cd mixtape cover.

Most home screens I've seen looks like they had some final magic wand that tapped the home screen, and everything from icons, colors, widgets, and wallpaper design look, well, ... easy.
Don't worry about it. Some of my home screens looked cringeworthy when I started. I just found it fun to play with and was able to find combinations of icons, wallpapers and fonts that looked decent to me. Of course those still might look cringeworthy to someone else. LOL.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
My only suggestion (other than "keep trying") is to look at the big picture. That is, consider screen elements like icons and widgets in relation to the background. If your wallpaper is "busy," keep everything else simple.

Reactions: J Dubbs

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a favorite wallpaper of one of my own photos, but after that the key part of the home screen is (a)folders with icons of apps I use a lot next to the familiar camera on phone icons, and then (b)widgets for calendar, clock and to-do list that are left transparent. The widgets take up the bulk of the screen with the wallpaper underneath.

Hold your finger on the home screen, long press, and you will see what widgets your phone already contains. It is always possible to buy apps with more of them if you don't like your calendar choices or your to-do choices, etc

It is just like decorating a home. There are a million choices. Keep playing with it.

Well, that magic wand may have been the result of lots of trial and error.

Last edited:
Reactions: mustang7757