Question about HDMI on the Atrix

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Alright, couple questions here if anyone knows.

First off, I seen everywhere online that Best Buy was gonna sell the Laptop Dock for $150? Im gonna take it thats a No Go.

And more importantly, if I was to plug the HDMI cable into the HDMI Dock they have, will it open that webtop app up on a HD TV or just the Media Center thing? If they allow that Webtop to work on the HDMI dock when its hooked up to the TV, I have wifi and could just use the TV as the huge internet with the webtop application. Anyone got a concrete answer? Or is webtop ONLY for the Laptop Dock?

Lason

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I believe when you plug the phone in it will ask you what you want to launch and give you the option to remember that choice everytime you plug into that dock.

hotleadsingerguy

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
When you plug it into the Media Dock it'll ask which one you want to use (media center or webtop app).

You could also just plug a mini-HDMI cable into the phone (one comes with the phone) and plug it into the TV to use the Media Center application.

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the HD dock with the bluetooth keyboard and mouse without adding tethering. I don't see any argument that AT&T could have to add tethering to the laptop dock other than recto-cranial-inversion...

Lason

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh thank you very much for that. Im definiatly getting the HD Dock, Im sure that wont require the 4G data plan right, only the Laptop Dock does?

There is no "4g data plan", only new plan is the 4 gig/tethering plan. you will get HSPA+ speeds with your normal plan though.

electricelm

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Why even get the Media Dock?

When you plug it into the Media Dock it'll ask which one you want to use (media center or webtop app).

You could also just plug a mini-HDMI cable into the phone (one comes with the phone) and plug it into the TV to use the Media Center application.

Hmm. So, do you think, with the included mini-HDMI cable, and one of these micro-USB/USB adapters:

Amazon.com: OEM Motorola MicroUSB USB EMU MU Adapter for RAZR2 V8 V9 V9m Q9h model SKN6252: Cell Phones & Accessories

And this, keyboard/mouse combo, which I already have (and love btw):

Amazon: IOGEAR Multimedia-Keyboard-Trackball-Wireless

...I could possible by-pass the need to pay $180 for the Media Dock?

hawks25

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh thank you very much for that. Im definiatly getting the HD Dock, Im sure that wont require the 4G data plan right, only the Laptop Dock does?

A tethering plan is required if you are using the Webtop application via the HD dock or the Laptop dock when you are using your phone's data plan. Without a tethering plan, both will only work over Wi-Fi.

Hmm. So, do you think, with the included mini-HDMI cable, and one of these micro-USB/USB adapters:

Amazon.com: OEM Motorola MicroUSB USB EMU MU Adapter for RAZR2 V8 V9 V9m Q9h model SKN6252: Cell Phones & Accessories

My guess is no. Even if the dock isn't the "smart" piece of the puzzle that activates the Webtop application, I would think that in order to even use/recognize a third-party keyboard/mouse could require some sort of driver.

I have the same thoughts with the HD Multimedia dock and using a card reader to utilize the Atrix as a storage device for my DSLR photos when on vacation. I've heard that you will be able to attach external drives to the USB ports of the dock, but will I be able to use the reader (given that a memory card is the same as an external drive)? That's what I'd like to know.

Last edited:

Lason

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Yes you should be able to hook up the phone via the included cable and run the webtop app. The only problem would be the phone wouldnt charge unless you also plugged that cable in also. The only thing special about the atrix keyboard is it has android shortcuts built into from what I gather.

Also the multimedia package is $180, the multimedia dock itself is $129

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance