Question About Rooting for first time...

Jayteezy5

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
What's up everybody! I've had my Droid Bionic for some months and wanted to Root, but hadn't gotten around to it. I also was a little nervous about the OTA update and how it would alter my phone.

If I was to root now for the first time, could i still use Pete's one click root even though i have the OTA update on my phone? I've heard conflicting stories of how that method does/doesn't work after the OTA if you didn't use the forever root

Also, after I root, if i plan on keeping the stock OS, and just freezing bloat to extend battery, should i just buy Titanium Backup (do you buy this before or after root?) and use that for what i'm trying to do, or should i download anything else?

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What's up everybody! I've had my Droid Bionic for some months and wanted to Root, but hadn't gotten around to it. I also was a little nervous about the OTA update and how it would alter my phone.

If I was to root now for the first time, could i still use Pete's one click root even though i have the OTA update on my phone? I've heard conflicting stories of how that method does/doesn't work after the OTA if you didn't use the forever root

I believe that you need to use the Motofail method to root. See Security Research by Dan Rosenberg

It says "Droid 4" but I am pretty sure that it roots the Bionic as well.

Also, after I root, if i plan on keeping the stock OS, and just freezing bloat to extend battery, should i just buy Titanium Backup (do you buy this before or after root?) and use that for what i'm trying to do, or should i download anything else?

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

You can buy Titanium Backup Pro at any time, but it will only work with a rooted device. There is a thread above that lists apps that you can remove (or freeze, which I recommend). See http://forums.androidcentral.com/bi...roid-bionic-apps-safe-remove-once-rooted.html

Just a quick note about Titanium Backup - it can back up and restore user-installed apps with data, but it will not restore system apps if you remove them. The system apps are colored red or green in Titanium. Titanium only backs up the data for system apps, not the apps themselves.

If all you want to do is freeze apps, there is an app that does only that: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...DEsImNvbS5ibG9hdC5mcmVlemVyIl0&token=o_s7QKLp.

However, Titanium Backup is great for using scheduled backups of your user apps and data. It makes it easy to get all of your apps back with your data if you ever need to factory reset, try running a custom ROM, etc.

One other idea is to install a custom recovery and bootstrapper like Safestrap, and use that to Nandroid backup your phone just after you root (and install Safestrap.) That way if something happens to the phone you can Nandroid restore the phone to get it back just as it was after you rooted. Safestrap gives a lot of other advantages if you want to run custom ROMs - you can toggle into something called Safe mode which protects your /system partition so you can switch back (so, to get a new over the air update for the Bionic, or just to switch back to rooted stock), but it doesn't necessarily have to be used that way.

Nandroid backup is a lot like Ghosting a Windows computer - it takes an exact snapshot of your phone as it is at the time that you run the backup and can restore later to that exact snapshot.

Safestrap download is here: Safestrap ? Hash-of-Codes (make sure that you get the one for the Bionic) and the install instructions are here: How-To Safestrap ? Hash-of-Codes

Again, even if you are going to run stock rooted and not a custom ROM, it's not bad to have for the Nandroid backup functionality.

Reactions: WebOS Refugee

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiid