Question about rooting

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Ok, being my first android phone I'm wondering if I will have to re-root my CDMA Hero after every update Sprint pushes out to it.

NM08SRT8#AC

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to this too. Also, is it easy to un-root your phone? I'm still trying to figure out what the non-nerd advantages are to doing this.

I did something like this to my Pixi, where I installed Preware in Developers Mode and it would let you install patches, apps, themes, etc etc.

I know you can install ROM's in rooting your phone, but what else?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
1. Likely you won't be able to install OTA updates from Sprint while it's rooted.

2. You can do anything you want. Rooting the phone completely unlocks the software and allows you access to modify any or all of it. From simple things like removing carrier software you don't want to running a full blown install of Linux and Gnome/KDE on your phone. If there is nothing you would like to add or take away from the phone, theres no need to root it.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
For HTC phones, it's as simple as plugging it in to a Windows PC and clicking an icon.

For other models, it's a bit more complicated, but still not hard. If you were able to root it, you would be able to un root it.

And you're welcome :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts