Question about Sprint's Exchange Policy

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sprint informed me that I was eligible for an early upgrade on September 1 (originally December 1) which I took them up on as the battery in my HTC One M7 seemed to be fading. Picked up the One M8 for $55 and sold the M7 for $150, so at that point I was pleased.

However, a little over a week of owning the phone, the orientation sensor freaked out which made the phone think it was constantly flipping or shaking. The phone was usable if I turned off auto-rotate for the screen, but there was definitely something not right. After a couple hours and resets it returned to normal function, so I decided to wait it out.

But, a few days later, it had another "episode" while I was at work. At this point I think it was day 12 of the trial period, so I actually left work to go and exchange the phone.

By the time I got to the Sprint-owned store where I bought the phone, it was back to normal again. I told the associate that it had now done that twice, and I would just like to exchange for a new one. She informed me that they would have to charge a restocking fee of $35 because if they couldn't witness the malfunction. I wanted the same phone, just a new one. The previous hadn't been dropped or gotten wet, it just had an intermittent issue but that issue was pretty bad IMO and could get worse.

They refused to budge but said I could come back another day and see if the manager would waive the fee. At this point, the time I would take off work to come back the next day (only had two days left) would cost me more than the $35, so I just paid it and left unhappy but now with a normally functioning phone.

Is this normal policy? I can't seem to find anything that states what Sprint's actual policy for exchanges is. Everything written only covers returns, as in returning the phone and cancelling the line, which says you *may* be charged a restocking fee. I contacted Customer Care and they stated that if a store charged you, you have to take it up with them as technically the phone wasn't purchased from Sprint.

I've never had an issue with Sprint (in 12 years), but this whole situation doesn't sit right with me. It's an unpublished policy that puts the customer in a no-win situation. Either pay us money or keep the defective phone. I could understand if I wanted a different model as they don't want people picking through their stock ad nauseum, but at least one straight exchange should accepted. If it was at least published somewhere, I would just accept it as bad policy but it is what it is. But unless someone can show me this policy (none of the associates in the store could), it's bad business.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say yes --- All of the major wireless companies have a clause about restocking fees.

cerob

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I didn't decide to get a different device, I just wanted another unit of the same model that didn't have an intermittent malfunction...

But you did get a different device, you got a different device of the same model.

You exchanged your device for a device with a different serial number. Since the serial number is different, it is a different device.

Now I get what you are saying that since it was the same model device you feel that you shouldn't be accessed this fee, and I don't blame you for that. You can always call customer care & see if they can adjust it, no guarantees, but it is worth a shot.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, I called Customer Care for a different matter and the rep stated that business accounts aren't charged restocking fees so she was able to apply the credit to my account.

Still think it's a shady policy for non-business accounts, but I'm satisfied that someone was able to point out the policy for MY account.