Question about VoLTE on T-Mobile with Nexus 6, can I please get some help?

Masa Fuji

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Question about VoLTE on T-Mobile with Nexus 6

Hi there,

I'm a new T-Mobile user. I'm using my Nexus 6 with a T-Mobile Prepaid plan.

I set up the WiFi-Calling both on my Nexus 6 and T-Mobile system. It works well.
I also turned on the "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" on my Nexus 6 Cellular network settings.

One thing I'm not sure is: Is this all I need to set up to have the VoLTE service?

I did a study on web and found that T-Mobile uses the LTE Band 12 on VoLTE. But when I'm outside and have the LTE connection, I found that all the time my LTE band is Band 4, not Band 12. Does this mean I do not have the VoLTE service? How can I use Band 12 to have the VoLTE service?

Please give me a little advise. Thanks in advance.

My Nexus 6 was bought from Amazon.com and it has Android 6.0.1 system now.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Question about VoLTE on T-Mobile with Nexus 6

Don't get too crossed up with bands and support...

The Nexus 6 supports VoLTE and WiFi Calling on T-Mobile. And VoLTE is available no matter what band you might be on at the moment. There was just some wonky E911 issues that had to get ironed out if T-Mobile was going to use band 12 (long story short, for E911 to work when your phone is connected to band 12, VoLTE has to be available - more detail than that gets kind of murky)

T-Mobile uses both band 4 and band 12, with band 4 being the primary band that carries all their heavy traffic. Band 12 kicks in where band 4 starts to falter a bit... either out in the middle of nowhere where band 12's greater range allows for a better connection, or inside buildings, with 12 penetrates walls better.

But this is all completely invisible to you, the user. The phone and the tower handle what band is active.

Masa Fuji

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Question about VoLTE on T-Mobile with Nexus 6

Thanks LeoRex,

I also have a Moto G 3rd (2015) and found many owners got disappointed with Motorola for it deleted the band 12 from that cellphone. They all said they could not use VoLTE on T-Mobile network with that cellphone. I thought T-Mobile only uses band 12 to provide the VoLTE service.

Thanks for your advise.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameszang48