Questions about after rooting

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Used the One-Click Odin per Josh's video, and the O-CO that he points to at YouTube. It actually went much smoother than I thought it might! :D

Then:

I discovered what 'lag' was! OK, I know there are things to fix that, but, what causes it?

Downloaded Titanium Backup, seems to be the back up of choice around here, to find it doesn't work on my phone because it lacks a 'Allow Unknown Sources' toogle. Let me guess you're going to tell me I need the SDK to get that!!!

Tried one of the screen capture programs, that is what I bothered to root for. Seemed to work, but. . .

My USB cable may have well be a string for all the good it did after rooting, actually the only thing it could see after rooting was O-CO when it was restarted, and I think it was actually O-CO that could see the phone not the other way around.

Any way the programs were removed, the phone un-rooted, the .zip removed and everything went back to working fine again.

The screen capture looked like a negative, but, I didn't spend any time with the program so that was probably my fault.

Before I try rooting again, any suggestions, comments, etc.

(oh, I used the root for 2.1 since my phone has 2.1 update-1)

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Used the One-Click Odin per Josh's video, and the O-CO that he points to at YouTube. It actually went much smoother than I thought it might! :D

Then:

I discovered what 'lag' was! OK, I know there are things to fix that, but, what causes it?

So you had no lag until after you rooted? That's weird.

Lag is from crappy manufacturer developed software (IIRC, file system) and is easily fixed by flashing a custom kernel, or custom ROM that contains a new kernel like Speed Mod, Voodoo, etc.

Downloaded Titanium Backup, seems to be the back up of choice around here, to find it doesn't work on my phone because it lacks a 'Allow Unknown Sources' toogle. Let me guess you're going to tell me I need the SDK to get that!!!

You don't "need" an SDK for anything.

You get the unknown sources problem when you aren't rooted. After rooting TiBu will reinstall backed up apps with no issues.

Tried one of the screen capture programs, that is what I bothered to root for. Seemed to work, but. . .

My USB cable may have well be a string for all the good it did after rooting, actually the only thing it could see after rooting was O-CO when it was restarted, and I think it was actually O-CO that could see the phone not the other way around.

Any way the programs were removed, the phone un-rooted, the .zip removed and everything went back to working fine again.

What is O-CO?

Anyway, this is strange to me. To the best of my knowledge rooting your phone does not change things like drivers. Your USB drivers should have remained perfectly in tact.

The screen capture looked like a negative, but, I didn't spend any time with the program so that was probably my fault.

ShootMe is the go-to app for screen shots.

Before I try rooting again, any suggestions, comments, etc.

(oh, I used the root for 2.1 since my phone has 2.1 update-1)

This what I use to root 2.1. It has never failed me and I've used it many times.
[PROGRAM] Updated:One Click Root/UnRoot (Mac and PC) - xda-developers

Reactions: the3dgm

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, lag has not been a problem at all on my phone until after I rooted. I'd have to say that sometimes my phone is too fast and smooth! LOL

TiBu says it wont function unless the toogle for unknown sources is checked, but, since I don't have this option on my phone what I'll do is re-root reload TiBu run the apps backup, remove a couple of free apps and then try to restore them. If it works fine, if not. . .

One-Click Odin (O-CO) sorry I was tired when I typed that, just lazy I guess!

Nope no usb functioning at all, I even started Kies, plugged in the usb cable, the screen on my phone went to the Kies, Mass Storage, Sync page but it did nothing, Kies did not see my phone. Going to the home screen on the phone and opening Windows Explorer showed J: and K:, however, clicking on them asked for media to be inserted, like clicking on a usb port on your computer with nothing attached.

I'll be sure to try Shoot-me next time, thanks for the tip!

Yep, that's the one I have!

Perhaps a bad download, will download again and give it another try. Thanks

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
It should always be on when modding- especially when using Odin.

I've kept debugging on since my very first root. I can't think of one scenario where it hurts (not that I know everything), but there are many situations where it's needed. I just leave it on because I'm always modding/flashing something. lol

Last edited:

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, there may have been a problem with the first Odin I brought down (or not), but other than the TiBu still still says it will not restore with out the toogled 'Unknown Sources', which, of course, I don't have. I brought down an app from the market a free background thing, did an 'apps+data' backup, deleted the app, rebooted, tried to restore the app, NO GO!

Kies works now with Debugging on, all usb functions work with it off.

No Lag this time!!!

I'll try Shoot-Me, I checked and that's not the one I used before.

Not sure if I want to download and use Rom Manager till I figure out the problem with TiBu.

Thanks konazxiii!!!

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you have BusyBox installed? If you hit the "Problems" button on TiBu it will install BusyBox for you. TiBu needs BusyBox. I have no idea if that is will solve your problem- I'm mentioning it because popped in my head just now.

BusyBox is another of those "must have" things for modding.

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the first page that shows up after the request for Super User rights says it needs to update BusyBox and to press Problems, did that. It brought down BusyBox and it appears to have installed fine.

It seems from all my reading that using SDK is really the only way to turn the Unknown Sources option on and I'm not going to get into that.

My time programming or playing with SDK's is long past, before most of the people here were born or at least in diapers! LOL

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
i dont understand this thread at all because everything from shoot me to TiBu worked on my girlfriends captivate. did you side load TiBu or did you get it from the market?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Unknown sources is not available on a stock ROM. That is part of the cripple job that ATT gave us to prevent side loading. Most custom ROMs include it, and even if they don't, TitBu does not complain about it.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Unknown sources is not available on a stock ROM. That is part of the cripple job that ATT gave us to prevent side loading. Most custom ROMs include it, and even if they don't, TitBu does not complain about it.

yeah thats why im wondering where he got TiBu because as long as he got it from the market it should work fine

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
It will backup things just fine on a stock ATT, rooted phone. It will complain about restoring them however, without the unknown sources flag (which is gone on stock ATT).

This rarely comes up however, since rooting your phone is pretty much like getting onto the freeway. Your journey is only beginning, and it ends in a custom ROM which solves the problem.

Since he is already rooted, my reservations about recommending to flash a ROM are gone- Flash Cognition and don't look back once you backup with TitBu. More than this problem will be solved.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
It will backup things just fine on a stock ATT, rooted phone. It will complain about restoring them however, without the unknown sources flag (which is gone on stock ATT).

This rarely comes up however, since rooting your phone is pretty much like getting onto the freeway. Your journey is only beginning, and it ends in a custom ROM which solves the problem.

Since he is already rooted, my reservations about recommending to flash a ROM are gone- Flash Cognition and don't look back once you backup with TitBu. More than this problem will be solved.

Yeah i have cognition on my girlfriends phone and she thinks its the greatest thing since angry birds lol. just remember when restoring TiBu onto cognition to only do missing apps + data,,,,,not system data or your phone will go nutso!

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Have done a little more research, according to the TiBu site the FREE version of TiBu has the problem I've run into, the Pro version doesn't. Good enough, I get the paid version.

Does ROM Manager come in two flavors? Does the free one work or do I need a paid version of that?

Is Cognition available? I've been reading the person(s) are merging with someone called TW(?) and it cannot be downloaded at this time.

OH and yes it was from the market!

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded it 30 minutes ago :). Supposedly there is a version of the Car Home app that can handle the USB audio out of the Samsung Car Dock I bought. Want to try that out. Noticed a few oddities on Serendipity too. LOVE the themed Swype keyboard though, I will miss that.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Have done a little more research, according to the TiBu site the FREE version of TiBu has the problem I've run into, the Pro version doesn't. Good enough, I get the paid version.

Does ROM Manager come in two flavors? Does the free one work or do I need a paid version of that?

Is Cognition available? I've been reading the person(s) are merging with someone called TW(?) and it cannot be downloaded at this time.

OH and yes it was from the market!

maybe thats why it worked for me cause i paid for it, same thing with rom manager i paid for it so i never tried the free version on her phone so i cant answer that

if it isnt available i have the 2.8 version on my computer at work i can load it up if you cant find it

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the offer!

First a question, I'm going to say it would be wisest to remove TiBu Free, then download the Pro version and install. The question is since I've already done a backup should I delete it?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the offer!

First a question, I'm going to say it would be wisest to remove TiBu Free, then download the Pro version and install. The question is since I've already done a backup should I delete it?

the paid version of TI is a seperate app, its a key so you dont have to delete it.....it just unlocks the paid features so no reason to backup again..but i would copy the titanium backup folder from your SD card and make a copy on your computer

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
ROFLMAO!!! Boys, I'm not above having a good laugh at myself or admitting I screwed up! I'm flat too old for that nonsense anymore!!!

So, when I saying something stupid like calling 'One Click Root' 'One-Click Odin' just say so!!! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
razpie