Quick charge charger or spare battery?

shawnreum

Banned
Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
Which do you find more useful to have?
A quick charger or a spare battery?

I'm looking to purchase either a quick charger or a spare battery, but stuck on which one I'm going to get. I had the V10 previously and the spare battery was great for it. But I find the quick charger for the V20 to be much faster than the V10 was. And about 20 mins of charge time is usually enough to get me through the remaining day on days of heavy use.

Your thoughts or experiances?

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
quick charge is a really bad idea. It wears out your battery. For battery longevity, you want to charge at 100 or 200 mAh, not over 1 Amp that the charging is throwing at the battery. It gets hot and heat kills it. The best method is to slowly charge overnight. I disable all this stupid new fad quick charge gimmick.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
V20 is an excellent candidate for ZeroLemon extended battery, they make one in 10,000 mAh, it lasts 1.5-2 days on one charge. You can slowly charge it overnight. I've had about 4 of them, they are excellent.They last about a year at full capacity and then slowly lose capacity.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Why not both? The quick charger works great...as long as you have access to a wall socket. But carrying an extra battery gives you immediate swapability to a fully charged battery. And it's a whole lot less bulky. You can always quick charge both at home and be ready for the next day.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
quick charge is a really bad idea. It wears out your battery. For battery longevity, you want to charge at 100 or 200 mAh, not over 1 Amp that the charging is throwing at the battery. It gets hot and heat kills it. The best method is to slowly charge overnight. I disable all this stupid new fad quick charge gimmick.

I would agree that slow charge is better, however with a removable and replaceable battery I don't care if I diminish the life of the battery.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Quick Charge is fine. Without going into the technical details, the OEM battery should handle a 3.2A charge with no problem and some Li-ion batteries are designed to handle even higher charge rates relative to their capacity. Even when charging at peak current, the phone barely gets warm at all. Not to mention QC3.0 is designed to be more efficient to stay cooler as well.

Also of note is LG is fairly aggressive with charging and thermal control. If the screen is off, it'll charge at full rates. If the screen is on, it knocks the charge rate down to about 1A even at idle. If the phone even thinks about getting warm, it'll drop the rate even more in a couple of stages. Personally I think their method is overkill, because it happens when the battery temp is still within acceptable ranges, just a little warmer than normal.

I personally would get the charger because of my work environment. I drive a truck, so having a car charger at the ready is not only more convenient, but I don't have a battery to keep track of or risking falling out of my pocket. I carry enough things on me as it is. Lol. If limited access to an outlet is an issue, then a spare battery would be better.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Quick Charge is fine. Without going into the technical details, the OEM battery should handle a 3.2A charge with no problem and some Li-ion batteries are designed to handle even higher charge rates relative to their capacity. Even when charging at peak current, the phone barely gets warm at all. Not to mention QC3.0 is designed to be more efficient to stay cooler as well.

Also of note is LG is fairly aggressive with charging and thermal control. If the screen is off, it'll charge at full rates. If the screen is on, it knocks the charge rate down to about 1A even at idle. If the phone even thinks about getting warm, it'll drop the rate even more in a couple of stages. Personally I think their method is overkill, because it happens when the battery temp is still within acceptable ranges, just a little warmer than normal.

I personally would get the charger because of my work environment. I drive a truck, so having a car charger at the ready is not only more convenient, but I don't have a battery to keep track of or risking falling out of my pocket. I carry enough things on me as it is. Lol. If limited access to an outlet is an issue, then a spare battery would be better.

You are correct.... As someone who uses large capacity li-on batteries, I can verify that the charge rate that a battery can handle is directly proportionate to the battery capacity.

mrdave570

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Yeah get both. Walk around with one or the other depending on your situation. Or bring both on the rare occasion when you need power for an entire day or more and can't do a quick charge.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I would take the spare battery any day. I always just swap batteries when I'm low so i never actually plug my phone in. It only takes 30 seconds, and I'll never have to worry about the usb c port failing.

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Irregardless of which method you use it's great to have the option. I switch it up every other week. Just which one is more convenient at the time. These devices should be created for our convenience not the manufacturers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariekecalvin