quick question about how many ROMs are actually available

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
ok, There is the CM7 and the Rodimus thing.

Im rocking the stock rom, just rooted it right now to overclock it. all the overclocking programs are seeing 600mhz as my limit so i guess that defeats the point of the root.

I am REALLY interested to know if there is a plain-jane vanilla version of Android 2.3 for this phone. no frills, no 3rd party stuff. just Android 2.3

I have no interest in going to these 3rd party Roms when I see replies about people having issues with basic functions of the phone. like wifi or mms not working. id like to not deal with it.

if my only choice for getting a plain 2.3 or newer is to wait for LG/virgin to roll it out, then I can wait it out. but IF there is one available today, let me know as ive done a pretty good amount of searching for it and came up with nothing.

Most, if not all the Gingerbread roms have basic issues that will need to be addressed before they're "perfect". If you want something with complete functionality for now, I would think your best bet would be sticking with the stock rom until someone comes out with a Gingerbread rom that's as stable as that. Let me clarify here, you're saying that you can't OC at all?

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
the stock kernel is not overclockable. If you want a stock experience but with the advantages of full customization and functions with EVERYTHING working but keeping the "stock" look and feel, check out RevolutionRed's Stock VM + Xionia ROM. I use it and its great. Used SetCPU to overclock to 806mhz and its just fantastic. I see you already looked at Rodimus but i take it you arent too keen about the theming and how it looks and all, so thats why i suggest the Stock VM + Xionia ROM.

Gingerbread will take some time to have everything perfect. Im keeping an eye on its development as well because id like to try it, however i want MMS working and MMS does not work on any 2.3 based ROMs due to the way Virgin Mobile handles its MMS functionality.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/58893-rom-stock-virgin-mobile-xionia-kernel-beta-2-a.html

Theres a few ways you can install that ROM...heres the way i did it... (I included the Rooting instructions just to better understand the whole process. Since you are already rooted, you can ignore all the small type but pay attention to the section in bold)
start here (only download the files at the bottom of the first post, dont follow the guide as ive taken part of the instructions from it already)
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...ustom-recovery-optimus-s-thunderc-sprint.html

The files the guide says to download put on the root of the SD card, and also unpack their contents into the root of the SD card as well (the unpacking is more important).

The first page of the "how to root the optimus v" has all the links to the stuff you really need but i included it without links in this writeup for you...

What You'll Need:
- Sun JDK
- The Android SDK, . Install this on the root of your computer so the path is C:/android. After you've installed the SDK, make sure it's up to date by launching the SDK Manager. This will be something like c:\android\SDK Manager.exe. It will ask you to update several things, but the only one that needs to be up to date is the SDK Platform for Android 2.2
- Drivers for the LG phone installed on your computer.
- SuperOneClick v1.6.3, which is available from xda-developers
- And the file I have attached to this post. Download it, unzip it, and put the 2 files inside in your android\platform-tools folder created from installing the SDK.

Step 1: Plug your phone into your PC with the USB cable.

Step 2: Make sure the phone is charge only (don't mount as USB drive) and USB debugging is enabled. Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark USB debugging

Step 3: Run SuperOneClick.exe. Select the psneuter exploit on the right, and then click the Shell Root button. SuperOneClick will attempt to gain a temporary root for your phone. This may take several tries. Keep trying until you get a message that says "You phone has a Temp ADB Root". Leave this window open, do not reboot your phone, and
continue to step 4.

Step 4: ADB into your phone.

# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img

# reboot recovery

Then once in recovery, wipe everything (cache, dalvik, whatever you want) then flash the Xionia-VM rom via "install zip from sd card". Done.

The other way would be using ROMTools.

1. Root
2. Install CWMA recovery via ROMTools (or another method)
3. Nandroid backup and/or Titanium Backup
4. Rename 'Xionia-VM' (or Rodimus or whatever rom you choose) to 'ROM' and place in 'rom' folder (in ROMTools)
5. Choose option #1 in ROMTools and wait until rebooted

Last edited:

mmmark111

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
the stock kernel is not overclockable. If you want a stock experience but with the advantages of full customization and functions with EVERYTHING working but keeping the "stock" look and feel, check out RevolutionRed's Stock VM + Xionia ROM. I use it and its great. Used SetCPU to overclock to 806mhz and its just fantastic. I see you already looked at Rodimus but i take it you arent too keen about the theming and how it looks and all, so thats why i suggest the Stock VM + Xionia ROM.

Gingerbread will take some time to have everything perfect. Im keeping an eye on its development as well because id like to try it, however i want MMS working and MMS does not work on any 2.3 based ROMs due to the way Virgin Mobile handles its MMS functionality.

When you flash Rodimus, it's the stock Android theme. The themes are optional :cool:

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
well thats a WIN. Rodimus is a nice ROM so your choice, Rodimus or Stock VM + Xionia. They both use the same kernel so overclocking is possible with both and they are both tweaked and run fast. I think Mark has put more work into Rodimus than RevRed has on his (i see him, mmmmark, being more active in his ROM thread) but they are both ROMs that are suggested.

Barfmog

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
....so the possibility of entering a letter wrong and bricking my phone scares me the most. !

I felt the same thing when I got into all of this. The thing to remember is, once you're rooted with a custom recovery and a nandroid to fall back on, it's nearly impossible to accidentally brick this thing. If something goes wrong, just boot into recovery and start from scratch.

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Helgaiden, you really helped me out. Got the stock + xionia installed. cpu overclocked and stable at 806. i was happy with 600, but... i cant leave anything alone.

anyways. i dont know why i was so scared to do this. just yesterday my friend bricked his huawei m860 and I had to do some scary recovery/flash stuff to get it working again and it wasnt as easy as this turned out to be.

also 2 weeks ago I rooted my friends galaxy S. geeze it seems when you are the only person who owns a microUSB cable and not just a wall charger, people expect you to know how to mess with their phones.

im not new to computers I know windows in and out. android is totally new to me though so the possibility of entering a letter wrong and bricking my phone scares me the most.

anyways thanks! got what I wanted. stock experience + overclock!

thanks, happy to be of service.

Nit3H8wk

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I bricked my phone at one point and i had clockworkmod 3.0.0.6 and was stuck in a recovery loop. I had to borrow a laptop from a friend and install android sdk and adb shell into the phone. I flashed xionia CWMA recovery on it. I noticed a fix recovery boot loop option under advanced in the recovery menu and it fixed my problem. Now i refuse to switch back to CWM until i have my own pc again lol. Now i have a problem where the battery is stuck at 36% for hours and hours since i downgraded from aospcmod cm7 to stock with xionia kernel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCheekyDinosaur