"Hey Google" not working with Android Auto

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
This weekend I had a problem using Android Auto and Google voice commands. Only started this weekend. Before that it worked perfectly.

When I have my S21 plugged into the car and say "Hey Google, navigate to xxxxx" it tells me I have no connection. But I do. The map is on the screen and the pointer moves as I drive. And if I use the touchscreen and enter the address manually it also works fine. Checked settings and I'm connected. I tried unpairing and repairing the phone with my car. I also powered off the power and rebooted. Same thing. When the phone isn't connected to the car Google voice works fine so its not Google. Any idea whats wrong and how to fix it? Did Android Auto have a update that has a bug?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Does your vehicle have a voice activation button? My Outback has a button that if I momentarily press it I get car-based voice commands (adjust temperature among other commands) but if I hold it I invoke the phone assistant (Google Assistant).

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
No, nothing like that. And as I said it has been working ever since I bought my car two years ago. It just started happening Friday.