Random Reboots w/ JB 4.1.1 STOCK

rlhammon

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Random reboots here as well... been going on since the update, or at least frequently enough that I've noticed it since then. I also get a lack of audio during phone calls... I can hear the other party, but they can't hear me. Only solution is to pull the battery and call them back... my BlackBerry never had such issues. :(

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I also get a lack of audio during phone calls... I can hear the other party, but they can't hear me. Only solution is to pull the battery and call them back... my BlackBerry never had such issues. :(
For this issue, I think it's just a random Verizon bug. I don't believe it has anything to do with any particular phone.
I remember when I was on Sprint over 7-8 years ago, I would get this issue once in a while when I called someone who was using a Verizon phone.
Was the other person who couldn't hear you using Verizon?

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

Fortunately Google has already put out a a bug addressing update so I'm sure we will see it in about eight to twelve weeks.
Not soon enough for me. I would assume this will be the last update i receive before my contracts (5) are up next November. I will gladly go to t Mobile on a prepaid and dump these guys once and for all. My guess is VZW is about five years away from a true Nexus phone.

Same problem here. No rhyme or reason to the freeze/reboots. Hoping it gets fixed via ota. But if not by January, cyanogenmod for me. Have given it a year at stock. Time for an upgrade.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AndroidRobot

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

I have suffered and suffered with this rebooting as much as much 5 times a day and I just solved the problem! The issue for me was GO SMS Pro of all thing. Now, I'm not saying there is something wrong with the app specifically, I don't know that to be true. It could be that GO SMS Pro has an issue with 4.1.1 and/or another app? Once I completely uninstalled GO SMS Pro and all the themes, I've not had one reboot and I have never gone more than 24 hours without a reboot and it's now been 5 days. I could not be more happy.

The thing that made me suspect GO SMS Pro was that a reboot happened one day at work with the phone facing up on my desk and I JUST happened to see what looked like the screen starting to come on for an alert and THEN the reboot. Now, there isn't a million things on my phone that would do that which led me to investigate GO SMS Pro.

I hope this helps someone else.

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I did get reboots on ICS. I got tired of the reboots and lockups as they were getting more frequent (more than once a day sometimes) so I did a factory restore and it has been behaving very well since.

gforce1963

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
well..this is interesting. I did a factory reset and life was good. But as soon as I connected to my home wireless router the phone restarted. Could this be a sign of a hardware problem?

guidojones

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, Im on US Celluar. They updated in Dec to 4.1.1. I *WAS* rooted, did the upgrade, and re-rooted. Have been having reboot issues since, stealth reboot issues. A week ago I went back to 4.0.4 (complete reset to stock factory a few updates back) and allowed the OTA back to the last 4.0.4 update and didn't allow the 4.1.1 update. The Phone worked flawlessly. Today I allowed the 4.1.1 update. Both WIFI and bluetooth are causing lock-ups and/or reboots. From what I've seen and read, US Celluar uses Verizon code.

Don't think 4.1.1 is stable on these phones ....

gforce1963

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Did the same thing last night. Went back to 4.0.4 and have had no problems going back and forth between routers with no reboot/restarts. Makes you wonder if 4.2.1 will be stable....IF we ever see it.

Well, Im on US Celluar. They updated in Dec to 4.1.1. I *WAS* rooted, did the upgrade, and re-rooted. Have been having reboot issues since, stealth reboot issues. A week ago I went back to 4.0.4 (complete reset to stock factory a few updates back) and allowed the OTA back to the last 4.0.4 update and didn't allow the 4.1.1 update. The Phone worked flawlessly. Today I allowed the 4.1.1 update. Both WIFI and bluetooth are causing lock-ups and/or reboots. From what I've seen and read, US Celluar uses Verizon code.

Don't think 4.1.1 is stable on these phones ....

MaStErbLk

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've this Issue with Stock "Bell Mobility" JB 4.1.1 on my GS3 too. When I was with ICS, no problem. Since the OTA update, random reboot maybe once a week, once a day, once a month.... randomly.....

I think it's a OS problem, cuz a lot of GS3, Note and other JB 4.1.1 phone have the same problem.

I hope that the next update will be more stable than this one :/

Ciao !

MaStErbLk

Nick94928

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Re:MaStErbLk, I have radio problems with mine too, when I shut down or reboot I have to either try several reboots to get the Phone reception to start working again. I have found it is easier and faster to pull the battery and for whatever reason this works EVERY time! :( When I pull the battery and boot the phone up, the reception is there everytime.

AT&T Note i717

Last edited:

anon26174

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I had the random reboot thing quite often (say two to three times a week) on 4.1.1. Since upgrading to 4.2.2 it has disappeared and I've not had a single random reboot *yet*. I did not do a factory reset or anything.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine has been the opposite. No reboots with 4.1.1 but at least 4-5 since 4.2.2 and I need to take the battery out to fix it.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I have the same issue, I notice that with my stock nexus on 4.1.1, it will randomly reboot. Not every day, but it ALWAYS freezes and reboots when I have a lot of tabs open in chrome, or when downloading larger files through chrome.

PS I have been ignoring 4.2.2, didn't upgrade then revert.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ejtsang

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I also had random re-boots when my phone was on 4.1.1/4.1.2. Although, I started to notice a pattern--it usually occurred when I had the screen on, running an app that required internet (i.e. pandora for streaming, chrome browser--while waiting for a page to load), and then after letting the screen auto shut-off, the phone would then freeze up (with the screen off). If I was using Pandora (or other streaming audio), the audio would still play for awhile, but the phone would be un-responsive if I pressed the power or volume buttons. After waiting about a minute or 2, the phone would re-boot.

However, since 4.2.2 update, this issue seemed to go away.