Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
No. YOU failed to. I was talking about "It doesn't have anything from 2012 lol". That's what I am talking about.

Nope, you're actually ignoring questions and points made that you have no answer for. What device are you currently using?

I was actually attempting to educate you a bit about something that you clearly had a less than good understanding of.

You claimed you could explain what an SoC was in one simple sentence, but have thus far failed to do so. So, support your claim by actually doing what you said you could.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but I disagree completely. Been there, done that. I can say very safely that I have owned more phones in a year that you likely have in the last 10 years. I am a tech enthusiast, been on the Palm (real Palm OS), BB, iphone, Windows Mobile, Windows Smarthpone, WIndows 7, 7.5, 8, Android 1.6 to current covering every type of device before there were smartphones to use.

Specs do matter, they may not matter to you but they do matter to a great many people. If you are happy with the "specs" on the Moto X, then I applaud your decision to make choices and sacrifices to get a phone that to me is sub par and not worth using. But that is my opinion, based on my usage and needs.

I want real power, swappable battery, microSD, 1080p HD display, 5-5.7" (GN3 all the way) I want a phone company who isn't hooked to Verizon for life (Droid).

It's ok to accept a mediocre device if that is what you want, but to say specs don't matter . . . well that's just nuts.

Well, I don't follow the logic here.

People get the phone that suits their needs. Doesn't mean it is mediocre.

What is it that you do exactly that needs all that power? Facebook?

- - - Updated - - -

You claimed you could explain what an SoC was in one simple sentence, but have thus far failed to do so. So, support your claim by actually doing what you said you could.

are you saying you (or I) CAN'T explain SoC in one simple sentence? :D

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, I don't follow the logic here.

People get the phone that suits their needs. Doesn't mean it is mediocre.

What is it that you do exactly that needs all that power? Facebook?

- - - Updated - - -

are you saying you (or I) CAN'T explain SoC in one simple sentence? :D

I'm saying (pretty sure it was crystal clear in the post you quoted) that you said you can do something, but haven't proven it.

Also, nice ignoring my question about your device again.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I want real power, swappable battery, microSD, 1080p HD display, 5-5.7"

I think it's pretty well established that within the mobile device market there are sub markets that are not necessarily strongly overlapping.

Generally the Note 2 (and 3) customer is not the same as the iPhone customer, which is a far cry from the Windows Phone customer, etc. Those are probably the three extremes, but for a 4th extreme one could throw in the Nexus and treat customer likes and dislikes as a measurable spectrum. Some people do want small devices, some want huge, some want fat, some want skinny. Some want popular, some want subtle.

There's not much that's inherently better in one end of the spectrum versus the other, in an absolute sense. But when two similar devices, say the HTC One and Moto X are compared, it's easier to draw the parallels.

Moto doesn't have anything right now that would appeal to the Note crowd except MAYBE the Droid Maxx, but it's still not really in the same category in anything but battery life.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
No. YOU failed to. I was talking about "It doesn't have anything from 2012 lol". That's what I am talking about.

As far as System on Chip, it is exactly that. Only an ***** would post 3 paragraphs from Wikipedia to explain it to someone you believe doesn't understand technology. Your solution is to post a tremendously long technical Wiki article. haahahaha... and you're the expert here?

We can only hope that one day we can all be as smart and tough on the internet as you... *sigh*

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
that you said you can do something, but haven't proven it.

Oh I can explain it in a very short simple sentence, again, for people who do not understand technology. Because remember, you were trying to explain it to a commoner like me. Someone who, in your mind, doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

An expert, a REAL expert, would explain it in a very simple way to that person. A nice short complete sentence that fully describes an SoC in a very simple way.

I can do it, but before I do, what I am asking you is that it seems you're saying that it can not be done.

The other point I was making is that if Intel released the Haswell this year with Intel HD4000 graphics, you would say that it has "nothing from 2012", following your friend's logic.

BTW, when I describe SoC in one simple sentence I will do the same with "Chipset", and then you can compare the nonsense 3 paragraphs you posted vs my very simple explanation, in terms of describing it to someone who is ignorant about technology. Keep that in mind so you don't have another meltdown picking apart every word.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
We can only hope that one day we can all be as smart and tough on the internet as you... *sigh*

So if you were to explain something technical to a common person what you do, as an expert, is copy and paste a huge 3 paragraph Wiki article from the internet? That's reasonable to you?

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but I disagree completely. Been there, done that. I can say very safely that I have owned more phones in a year that you likely have in the last 10 years. I am a tech enthusiast, been on the Palm (real Palm OS), BB, iphone, Windows Mobile, Windows Smarthpone, WIndows 7, 7.5, 8, Android 1.6 to current covering every type of device before there were smartphones to use.

Specs do matter, they may not matter to you but they do matter to a great many people. If you are happy with the "specs" on the Moto X, then I applaud your decision to make choices and sacrifices to get a phone that to me is sub par and not worth using. But that is my opinion, based on my usage and needs.

I want real power, swappable battery, microSD, 1080p HD display, 5-5.7" (GN3 all the way) I want a phone company who isn't hooked to Verizon for life (Droid).

It's ok to accept a mediocre device if that is what you want, but to say specs don't matter . . . well that's just nuts.

You, be my friend. We think alike.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh I can explain it in a very short simple sentence, again, for people who do not understand technology. Because remember, you were trying to explain it to a commoner like me. Someone who, in your mind, doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

An expert, a REAL expert, would explain it in a very simple way to that person. A nice short complete sentence that fully describes an SoC in a very simple way.

I can do it, but before I do, what I am asking you is that it seems you're saying that it can not be done.

The other point I was making is that if Intel released the Haswell this year with Intel HD4000 graphics, you would say that it has "nothing from 2012", following your friend's logic.

BTW, when I describe SoC in one simple sentence I will do the same with "Chipset", and then you can compare the nonsense 3 paragraphs you posted vs my very simple explanation, in terms of describing it to someone who is ignorant about technology. Keep that in mind so you don't have another meltdown picking apart every word.

I'm done explaining what I said, since I've already said it twice.

You should stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So if you were to explain something technical to a common person what you do, as an expert, is copy and paste a huge 3 paragraph Wiki article from the internet? That's reasonable to you?

What you do is post an explanation that's reasonably easy to understand, and then wait for said person to ask questions. Which you then answer with an explanation. Until you get to the point where the person that lacked knowledge and understanding now has the knowledge and understanding.

It's similar to a student/teacher relationship in this case.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

Dude, stop talking bull. If you're gonna do it then do it, if not stop talking

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

Not necessarily, and I see your reasoning there. Nothing against Kevin at all either, but I don't really see Wikipedia as a professional source as it is. But I would have also taken a chill pill or a break a few pages back if something was really getting my goat. After all, we are all just talking about phones =/ Sometimes it seems like a religious/political/abortion debate in these threads.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Not necessarily, and I see your reasoning there. Nothing against Kevin at all either, but I don't really see Wikipedia as a professional source as it is. But I would have also taken a chill pill or a break a few pages back if something was really getting my goat. After all, we are all just talking about phones =/ Sometimes it seems like a religious/political/abortion debate in these threads.

We all love our phones, we defend them to amazing levels. It's amazing how much everyone has changed within the past 5-10 years. I mean if a phone breaks now our hearts skip a beat, we all get worried thinking "oh no, not a crack!"

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
By copying and pasting from Google you just make yourself look dumb.

You were actually the one who originally suggested to look at Google:
You don't have to describe anything. Anyone can see what's inside the Moto X just by googling it.

Including the 2012 chipset inside.

Also, do you know who you're arguing with? Kevin is a moderator. Moderators on tech forums usually have plenty of tech expertise. And he's also a Tegra Champ, so he's even more experienced in this field. So he can do more than repeatedly say "You're saying that because he is your friend. X8 is just marketing jargon. Do you know what a chipset is?"

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Problem is, it's not even technical. I explained the correction to the logic fallacy in 1-2 sentences multiple times. It still never caught. The problem here isn't really the explanation or the complexity of the subject matter. For things like this, I do value Wiki as a source because of the level it breaks things down to common understanding. It's not always the most up to date or correct source of information, but it can get you the gist and more importantly, link you to sources of greater knowledge for a deeper contextual comprehension. It's like the old cliffsnotes from school (not sure if that's still a thing). It gets you a summary and some pertinent details of what's commonly discussed, but for the real deal, you have to read the originals.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
We all love our phones, we defend them to amazing levels. It's amazing how much everyone has changed within the past 5-10 years. I mean if a phone breaks now our hearts skip a beat, we all get worried thinking "oh no, not a crack!"

True, extensions of our selves really. I remember back in the day of nokia bricks. We used to through them in the street as far as we could and see if we could put it together and still turn it on haha.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Wikipedia is actually a very reliable source. The thing is, when you have so many people working on improving articles that even the most obscure article about something no one knows about is edited multiple times a day, mistakes get fixed pretty quickly. There were various studies performed, and Wikipedia was determined to be as accurate as the Encyclopedia Britannica.

Status
Not open for further replies.