RAZR 2023 problems, oopsies, etc

darrinS

May 13, 2023
Visit site
My chrome app disappeared from my home screen so I checked the app drawer and it was there. This being on my pixel. Moved it back and a couple days later it was gone again. A reboot fixed that and it reappeared. I was running the beta android 14 tho. I think it can be disabled and then not show up maybe check that. Also check the App Store and see if it is available for download or says "open app". I would think if you're using it it would reappear eventually maybe sooner than later. Weird tho. Also try force stop then restart.
thx. it’s not anywhere to be found except when i pull up the app drawer and do a search. play store search says open app. maybe i somehow hid it. gonna do a google search on that now.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
No really a problem per-se, but something to be aware of on any of the new generation "close flat" fold or flip devices. That is, the issue of main screen protection when the device is open. Traditional phone cases have a slightly raised "lip" around the screen. This helps to prevent screen contact in the event of a face-down drop. But these devices are designed to close flat, with no gap between the screen halves, so there is no protective lip. Case or no case, your device is now fully vulnerable to face-down drops. That said, I have a thin yet effective case on my RAZR+ that offers good protection in all other scenarios.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
I just realized that I have a folder in the app drawer titled Google and Chrome app is in there. Mystery solved.
We discovered that when we set up my wife's phone. I never noticed on mine because the first thing I do on any new phone is install Nova Prime launcher (and the version 8 beta is working great!).

Reactions: darrinS

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Something I've been noticing, speech to text doesn't always work. I prefer it over using the kb but about 10% of the time it does nothing. Hoping this doesn't get any worse. No reason for it, just fails to work sometimes.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
when I asked Google to play the news this morning she did, at super SLOW speed. I can’t seem to fix this. I’ve cleared storage, there was no cache to clear. I’ve tried other news apps and they play fine unless I say “hey Google play the news”. Bizarre, the news person sounds drunk. I tried to post a video and/or a recording but couldn’t get that to work. Funnier than s**t but it’s lost its charm. Anyone ever heard or experienced such a thing?

Reactions: jlost

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
There's a setting in the Google settings that might control playback rate of speech. I know there's a setting in accessibility that does that. Maybe check accessibility first, although this sounds like an assistant issue?

Reactions: cbreze

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
There's a setting in the Google settings that might control playback rate of speech. I know there's a setting in accessibility that does that. Maybe check accessibility first, although this sounds like an assistant issue?
I think its an assistant issue. I can use the same news app initiated manually by me and it is fine. But going thru the assistant is when the problem happens. Funny thing tho it just started seemingly by itself over nite. I think this is the weirdest issue I've ever had on any phone ever.

Reactions: J Dubbs

guereja206

Sep 7, 2023
Visit site
I have a little blemish on the main screen in the center where it folds. It's tiny but it's still a bit concerning because it looks almost like a little break or something like that on the LCD screen. Phone hasn't been dropped or anything like that so IDK where it came from or how it happened

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a little blemish on the main screen in the center where it folds. It's tiny but it's still a bit concerning because it looks almost like a little break or something like that on the LCD screen. Phone hasn't been dropped or anything like that so IDK where it came from or how it happened
If it’s in the fold then a drop probably wouldn’t do it . More likely just from repeated folding/unfolding. In any case this doesn’t bode well for this phone’s screen. Keep us posted and let us know if it gets worse. I generally leave mine unfolded in a stand on my desk while I’m working so only a minimum of folding, unfolding daily.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
If it’s in the fold then a drop probably wouldn’t do it . More likely just from repeated folding/unfolding. In any case this doesn’t bode well for this phone’s screen. Keep us posted and let us know if it gets worse. I generally leave mine unfolded in a stand on my desk while I’m working so only a minimum of folding, unfolding daily.
I do exactly the same with my Flip 3, it spends most of it's time unfolded. Plus I interchange it with my P6Pro, so it's had a very easy life. Original Screen protector still looks like new 😉

It is nice to be able to fold it up and stick it in a pocket when heading out though... I've been using it as my dd for a bit now 😃 I'll have to get the 6 Pro out of the drawer to update it when 14 comes out lol.

Reactions: cbreze

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Are you sure it isn't just the screen protector? They can look like there's a screen problem when there isn't 😉 I would think Moto's had enough practice with their last couple of folding phones to have the screen fairly well dialed in.

darrinS

May 13, 2023
Visit site
could it be that something was in the crease when it was closed? something tiny like

guereja206

Sep 7, 2023
Visit site
Razr Plus already has a broken screen. I got my phone last month in August 2023 and the enternal (main) screen started with a little pixelated blotch in almost dead center one day and I put it in my pocket to walk to the store and opened it again to use my tap and pay and the blotch became a straight black line on the crease where it folds. Now the phone has a huge blotch on it and the only way I can somewhat use it is the external screen. So beyond disappointed but luckily its still under warranty right ?!? The warranty from what I read doesn't cover a broken screen which is what i think happened. Regardless I am sending my phone in to be repaired because other than the screen the phone is actually a nice phone. 16944844792021438201547897900716.jpg16944843873189169910460986424605.jpg

• Wow

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Razr Plus already has a broken screen. I got my phone last month in August 2023 and the enternal (main) screen started with a little pixelated blotch in almost dead center one day and I put it in my pocket to walk to the store and opened it again to use my tap and pay and the blotch became a straight black line on the crease where it folds. Now the phone has a huge blotch on it and the only way I can somewhat use it is the external screen. So beyond disappointed but luckily its still under warranty right ?!? The warranty from what I read doesn't cover a broken screen which is what i think happened. Regardless I am sending my phone in to be repaired because other than the screen the phone is actually a nice phone. View attachment 356017View attachment 356016
What's the cost of fixing the screen?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
that should be covered under warranty. what could you have done to cause that? i really think an extended accidental warranty is a must with these flip and foldables. unfortunately
Was it dropped? If not then defective screen and yes I agree Foldable devices need insurance.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
WoW, that little blemish turned into a big deal rather quickly. Barely a month old they should cover that 100%. However they will most likely say it was dropped.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
That's beyond disappointing... I'm so sorry you have to go through the hassle of trying to get it fixed now 😕 Have we heard of any other screen failures? Moto did have some issues like that on their previous RAZR 's, I believe a sharp part of the hinge was poking holes in the screen from the back.

Hopefully they'll check for that before just sticking a new screen on.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Just wondering: has anyone had any problems with their RAZRs? Any accidents? Any miscellaneous thoughts?

I've unwittingly scratched mine on the Motorola logo on the back; I put a metal plate on the inside of the case and it was rubbing without my realizing it. Nuts.

Also, somehow, there's a scratch on the external screen. I don't recall dropping it in a way that would scratch that screen, but it's there. Arg. I have a crappy film screen protector, but I was waiting to pick up a glass one. Advice: get some kind of protector on there stat.
okay now that I've been using it for a while I've noticed the Bluetooth connection is definitely not as strong as compared to the Galaxy fold and flips where I've tried numerous sets of BT wireless headsets and in busy congested areas like the Metro they will cut out from interference does anybody else experience this as well?