razr maxx as a GLOBAL PHONE by any chance??

fdsadsfa

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
So I've been reading through old posts asking if razr maxx could be used overseas (not roaming), and now I see that VZ would not unlock the GSM of which razr maxx is obviously capable of.

Would I be able to use my razr maxx abroad without restriction when they go on an ice cream sandwich update?

And is it "practically" impossible to make it somehow work without asking VZ to do so?
I will be staying in Korea for two month and a local carrier says i can rely on its service as long as i got the sim card unlocked by VZ beforehand.
I'm completely new to smart phones and not familiar with all those techniques, but I found some websites (Unlocking codes, unlock Your New Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX - sim-unlock.net - Automatic system for sales unlock codes - release Your phone) which seemed to be able to provide such an unlocking service?
Would it be a good idea to go about giving it a try?

Please correct any misunderstanding which I believe I surely have. Thanks!

Last edited:

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
This feature isn't active yet, so if the OP is traveling now (or before the as-yet unannounced activation date for GSM roaming), then your reply is completely useless. You know that, right?

"Completely useless" is a little harsh. Obviously the guy is new and hasn't seen the article that was linked. We have no idea when he's traveling so letting him know it's in the works and maybe he should contact Verizon about it is not a useless post.

Try to follow Wil Wheaton's cardinal rule if you can please.

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
You're obviously alot nicer than me, CUDA, since I think replying with a link that doesn't really address the original question, along with absolutely no explanation, advice or commentary, does merit breaking said rule.

fdsadsfa

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
This feature isn't active yet, so if the OP is traveling now (or before the as-yet unannounced activation date for GSM roaming), then your reply is completely useless. You know that, right?

I'll be away from this Wednesday until early august... I hope they would update the OS asap so that I can unlock sim during the travel haha

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
The update the article talks about says that Global roaming will be activated at some point, but as you know that would be really expensive. It does mention at the bottom that Verizon says the phones are already GSM unlocked... if that's true, you're home-free. I'd give Verizon a call and ask.

Thanks for the info!
So is this article saying that I would be able to use it overseas via a local carrier as long as the ICS update rolls out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma