RAZR Problems, what you have experienced and known issues

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering a new phone. Two of the models I am considering are the RAZR or RAZR MAXX. I cant find a known bug thread here and would like to hear what the user community has to say about this phone.

daruffins

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Two issues I have noticed on my phone, not sure if they're widespread:

Headphones lose connectivity in the headphone jack. If the phone is in place and not being moved around, there's no issue but for example if my phone is in my pocket and I'm walking, some connectivity is lost and the sound becomes distorted for a second.

If I'm in a bad reception area, I will lose my data connection (signal bars turn gray) but if I'm back where I know the signal is strong, the phone will not always connect back right away. In some situations I have to use Airplane Mode toggle on/off to get my data connection back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

bebeau25

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I can honestly say that I haven't had any issues yet. Had the phone for a little over a month and still loving it. The only thing i can think of is a few times the screen would freeze and become unresponsive. Easy fix for this issue, I just hit the power button to turn screen off and hit it again to turn back on and it works. I think you will love this phone. If you want something that's reliable and overall pretty stable, get the razr. If you want to play with roms and don't mind a few bugs and glitches, get the nexus.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had to call Verizon and request a replacement because I'm having a couple of issues that a master reset hasn't solved. I'm sure a replacement will solve the reboots and freezes so I'm not too worried.

-Random reboots and freezes that require a hard reset.
-The multi-touch keyboard force closes several times a day. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I know the reboots and freezing aren't.

GirlGeek123

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
If you want something that's reliable and overall pretty stable, get the razr. If you want to play with roms and don't mind a few bugs and glitches, get the nexus.

@bebeau25: I'm also torn between the Razr and Nexus. I like to play with rooting and apps. I'd like to try roms. You sound like you have experience with both phones. What kinds of bugs and glitches are you talking about with the Nexus? And why is the Nexus better than the Razr when it comes to Roms?

markus2e2

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
If I had the choice between the 2, I'd pick the MAXX. Already had to replace the first one when the internal screen cracked from being in the pocket. Seems the thinness of the phone allows it to flex and the internal screen may not survive - review the posts titled "fragile screen". The MAXX has the bigger battery - maybe making it a stronger case. The RAZR is an amazing phone though. No other problems to note with the phone. If both phones have identical capability and features except the battery - you need to decide based on thiness of the phone - do you want the thinnest or not - if thinness is not an issue - go with the MAXX. The thinness of the RAZR is really cool though. Just don't put it your pants pocket and crawl under the car or roll around on the floor with the dog or kids. Battery will be an issue with the RAZR - get the external battery/charger - Motorola P893 - $40 on the Verizon site.

sabrerider

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
If I had the choice between the 2, I'd pick the MAXX. Already had to replace the first one when the internal screen cracked from being in the pocket. Seems the thinness of the phone allows it to flex and the internal screen may not survive - review the posts titled "fragile screen". The MAXX has the bigger battery - maybe making it a stronger case. The RAZR is an amazing phone though. No other problems to note with the phone. If both phones have identical capability and features except the battery - you need to decide based on thiness of the phone - do you want the thinnest or not - if thinness is not an issue - go with the MAXX. The thinness of the RAZR is really cool though. Just don't put it your pants pocket and crawl under the car or roll around on the floor with the dog or kids. Battery will be an issue with the RAZR - get the external battery/charger - Motorola P893 - $40 on the Verizon site.

No one should really sweat the extra thickness of the MAXX. I have always considered my DROID X a very thin phone and the MAXX is still thinner! I've done the measurements. Id like to see the MAXX in white.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
@bebeau25: I'm also torn between the Razr and Nexus. I like to play with rooting and apps. I'd like to try roms. You sound like you have experience with both phones. What kinds of bugs and glitches are you talking about with the Nexus? And why is the Nexus better than the Razr when it comes to Roms?

Its a Nexus phone, a developer phone. Totally open bootloader. The RAZR's is encrypted, locked down tight.

I agree if you want a more reliable phone go with the RAZR or Maxx. I had a G Nex for 2 weeks. It wound up going back.Granted I didnt do the custom ROMs tho. I wanted to compare both phones out the box.

If you get a G Nex, be prepared to do all kinds of tweaks to even try to get it on as reliable a level as the RAZR, maybe. The lil things I did didnt help completely.

As of today, I can honestly say I had no real issues with my RAZR. I frozen screen one time, lost data some times. But nothing on going. The frozen screen, I was using a low budget car charger and trying to use the phone at the same time, so it coulda been that, dont really know.

Last edited:

CannedBullets

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The battery life isn't good so I'd get the Maxx. I'm switching out my current RAZR for a Maxx when it comes out. Also sometimes when you're playing a game on it the game will freeze and it will go back to normal. I'm guessing it's pausing to load the rest of the game but it's still a weird issue.

davegutz

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Just for the record, I know this thread is old, I had freezup problems caused by old apps from my Droid X installed onto new Razr Maxx HD. In particular, a program called "Startup Auditor" was causing at least half of my problems. Start fresh. If problems, factory reset and remove all apps. And when you get new phone, don't assume any of your favorite apps will work on new phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeneralCaveman216