Recommend a ROM for me?

cowbells

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, I know there are tons of posts on this but was hoping some of the more experienced users here could recommend a ROM, seems like there are so many to choose from...

What I care about:
1) speed
2) stability - can't have phone crashing or freezing on me I really rely on it for my.job.
3) battery life
4) ability to easily toggle between 3g/4g data... and other toggles like that I have seen on dropdown..

What I DON'T care about:
1) theming
2) super frequent updates

Any advice from people who used a bunch of ROMS? Seems the choices are overwhelming

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I recommend looking through different forums and see what people are saying about different ROMs. We all know what options are like and I think it's best to make your own.
You will get the recommendations for the big ROMs like AOKP and CM10 but there are so many other good ones. Try several and figure out what works best for you.

Just remember to make a backup so switching back is a cinch.

Allons-y

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I look for the same things you do in a ROM. If you are looking for "Work" stability i would stay away from true nightlies and concentrate on final releases from developers. Nightlies are fun and have all the latest features but something is usually broken and reboots CAN happen. I don't consider all nightlies to be like this, some are remarkably stable, but some are a mess and problems are more likely to come up then not.

That being said if you are looking for a stable ROM with features I would check AOKP Build 4. This is considered a "Weekly build" and has shown good stability over the last 2 builds. Battery life on this ROM might not be the best out of the box, but you can help battery life by changing to a different kernel after you flash the ROM.

ROMS i would stay away from myself due to instability would be current CM10 builds and Euroskanks Jellybro. Not because these are BAD, but i have experienced tons of reboots between both of these ROMs. They are still a work in progress, so problems are to be expected, but i dont consider those nightlies to be solid enough, Yet.

My suggestion would be start with AOKP, See what you like and what you don't like about it and you will have a better idea on what your looking for.

cowbells

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the messages guys. Just wondering- can anyone explain difference between AOSP and AOKP ROMs? My friend at work told me that given the things I am looking for above, I should use am AOSP like bugless beast?

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Typically, something more "pure" and unadulterated, like Bugless, will be focused on speed and stability. IIRC, you'll see this more in the AOSP-based ROMs. The Kanged, or AOKP type ROMs, are usually more feature-heavy, and as such, have more "potential" to see errors. They are indeed changing/adding more in code, so problems are statistically more probable. That said, some of the developers are solid and I have never really seen any issue that has been completely debilitating.

That said, for what you are looking for, an AOSP-based ROM could be good. You could get one that has notification bar toggles, which isn't a super crazy feature, and still have speed and stability. I like CM10's Skank ROM for a simpler, yet still very fast and stable system. Plus, the stock kernel is the balls.

If you want a few more features, AOKP B4 really is doing well with speed and stability; plus, you could couple it with Franco's Milestone kernel and have something really solid and fast. The nice thing about the Kanged stuff is that, if you do get bored, you've more options to change things. If you want mods to something like Skank, you'd need a theme or something.

cowbells

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Any opinions on xenon HD ROM for my needs? Also, I want a ROM that will allow me to use Google wallet. Thanks for all the responses so far!

cowbells

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
OK I'll try that... currently on liquid and not super impressed, I really just wanted a simple slim ROM... speaking of which... SlimBean?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am rocking Affinity and have been for over a month. I have flashed 4 others in that time but the longest I stayed on any was 24 hours. I keep restoring my Affinity backup.
It's stable, fast and has just the right amount of customizations. I have never had a reboot or major slowdown and battery life is comparable to all the others.

Allons-y

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've been running Euroskank CM10 for months and have never had a reboot. All versions I've installed have been solid as a rock on my phone. The bottom line is that there are a number of ROMs that are great (most of them). I'd say the big 3 are AOKP, Euroskank and Bugless (in no particular order). Just install any one of them, run it for a few days, make a nandroid backup and install a different one. Then pick your fav and stick with it. If your using a launcher like Nova or Apex (to backup/restore your homescreens), and have Titanium Backup, you can flash a new ROM and be up and running in about 30 minutes.

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, I know there are tons of posts on this but was hoping some of the more experienced users here could recommend a ROM, seems like there are so many to choose from...

What I care about:
1) speed
2) stability - can't have phone crashing or freezing on me I really rely on it for my.job.
3) battery life
4) ability to easily toggle between 3g/4g data... and other toggles like that I have seen on dropdown..

What I DON'T care about:
1) theming
2) super frequent updates

Any advice from people who used a bunch of ROMS? Seems the choices are overwhelming

Rasbeanjelly is what you want to try.

euroskank

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I used codename a lot in the past until the whole issue with giving credit to others surfaced on xda if I remember correctly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29