Refurbed P2 XL at Best Buy for $499

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, we should definitely substitute midrange devices which cost $143 more than getting a 10 month old flagship. Even if refurbished, the flagship is almost always going to win in the quality department and because it's a better device AND cheaper, there's no question at all on which is a better value.

Also, that is a concept video and has no basis in reality in any part of it.

One+6 not a midrange device

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
One+6 not a midrange device

100% disagree. What makes you say that? Do you think the OnePlus 6 is every bit as good as the Galaxy S9+? To me it looks exactly like a midrange device, albeit one that uses a high end SoC and also adopts a few high end components that look good on a spec sheet, while taking major shortcuts for the user experience in other areas. Also, we're talking about the OnePlus 6T, which I would make the exact same argument for ... except that argument would be based entirely on the experience of the 5, 5T and 6 ... since we know exactly nothing about the 6T so far. Logic says though... since OnePlus has never made a proper flagship, we don't have any reason to believe that they're going to in the form of the 6T. Is it possible? Sure.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
The 1+6 doesn't compete with the big boys in several factors, such as display, camera, features, nor price. It is a mid range device, even though it may not feel like it when using it since it's internals and fluid UI are competing with the best.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
100% disagree. What makes you say that? Do you think the OnePlus 6 is every bit as good as the Galaxy S9+? To me it looks exactly like a midrange device, albeit one that uses a high end SoC and also adopts a few high end components that look good on a spec sheet, while taking major shortcuts for the user experience in other areas. Also, we're talking about the OnePlus 6T, which I would make the exact same argument for ... except that argument would be based entirely on the experience of the 5, 5T and 6 ... since we know exactly nothing about the 6T so far. Logic says though... since OnePlus has never made a proper flagship, we don't have any reason to believe that they're going to in the form of the 6T. Is it possible? Sure.

It's the company flagship device #1
It has gorilla glass 5 which midrange phone don't have, also the newest chip and 8 gig of ram which midrange device again don't have storage starting at 64gb a camera that's on par with the latest flagship plus 4k video

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The 1+6 doesn't compete with the big boys in several factors, such as display, camera, features, nor price. It is a mid range device, even though it may not feel like it when using it since it's internals and fluid UI are competing with the best.

What features it's missing?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
It's the company flagship device #1
It has gorilla glass 5 which midrange phone don't have, also the newest chip and 8 gig of ram which midrange device again don't have storage starting at 64gb a camera that's on par with the latest flagship plus 4k video

Ok I guess what I meant to say is that it is not on par with the flagships of the OEM's which it competes against. A huge clue to this is that those OEM's have flagships that cost then 30-45% more to make - there's a reason for that.

If the OnePlus 6 and the S9+ are both $900, and there are no discounts, which would you buy? In that comparison, Samsung has a better display, better camera, wireless charging, water resistance, it works on all carriers, etc, etc. If the OnePlus 6 and the iPhone X are both $900, and there are no discounts, which would you buy? In that comparison, the iPhone X has a better display, better camera, wireless charging, water resistance, it works on all carriers, has better security, is supported faster, longer and better, etc, etc.

OnePlus HAS to take shortcuts because their niche is NOT trying to make the best phone on the market, they're trying to convince their customers that they are the best VALUE on the market, in the upper half of the available smartphones. Some of those shortcuts can be seen in the comparisons I just listed, others are more subtle. Over half of the smartphone users in the US cannot use the phone at all unless they choose to switch carriers. That's a monster of an issue that has not been an issue on real flagships since 2014. But the button line is we have that, in addition to hardware shortcuts, software shortcuts, a company that is actively betraying the privacy and trust of their consumers as well as the obvious shortcuts they have to take on R&D, support channels and vendor relations, etc.

Is it a good phone? IMO no, but I know there are a lot of people who disagree with me on that. Is it objectively the best phone on the market? Hell no. It's not in the top 10, which is saying something, because some 2017 phones still are. Is it a good value? Yes; however it is not the best value. The best values are the midrangers that don't try to punch the ceiling and excel with a better experience on hardware such as the 660 SoC, with amazing battery life, etc. at costs far below where OP starts at. They lack some of the bells that OP has, but make up for it in other ways that push the value equation over the top.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
And all that said, the Pixel 2 XL is a better device in every way that I can think of than the OP6, and if it's $150 less than the OP6, then that means a better device for less money = defacto better value. If there was a debate on the P2XL vs the OP6 as far as which is better, then it'd be a little more complicated, but I don't think many people are going to make that claim. If they do, that claim has to be made outside of the value proposition that it's objectively better, and that just, at least to me, seems like a silly argument to make.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok I guess what I meant to say is that it is not on par with the flagships of the OEM's which it competes against. A huge clue to this is that those OEM's have flagships that cost then 30-45% more to make - there's a reason for that.

If the OnePlus 6 and the S9+ are both $900, and there are no discounts, which would you buy? In that comparison, Samsung has a better display, better camera, wireless charging, water resistance, it works on all carriers, etc, etc. If the OnePlus 6 and the iPhone X are both $900, and there are no discounts, which would you buy? In that comparison, the iPhone X has a better display, better camera, wireless charging, water resistance, it works on all carriers, has better security, is supported faster, longer and better, etc, etc.

OnePlus HAS to take shortcuts because their niche is NOT trying to make the best phone on the market, they're trying to convince their customers that they are the best VALUE on the market, in the upper half of the available smartphones. Some of those shortcuts can be seen in the comparisons I just listed, others are more subtle. Over half of the smartphone users in the US cannot use the phone at all unless they choose to switch carriers. That's a monster of an issue that has not been an issue on real flagships since 2014. But the button line is we have that, in addition to hardware shortcuts, software shortcuts, a company that is actively betraying the privacy and trust of their consumers as well as the obvious shortcuts they have to take on R&D, support channels and vendor relations, etc.

Is it a good phone? IMO no, but I know there are a lot of people who disagree with me on that. Is it objectively the best phone on the market? Hell no. It's not in the top 10, which is saying something, because some 2017 phones still are. Is it a good value? Yes; however it is not the best value. The best values are the midrangers that don't try to punch the ceiling and excel with a better experience on hardware such as the 660 SoC, with amazing battery life, etc. at costs far below where OP starts at. They lack some of the bells that OP has, but make up for it in other ways that push the value equation over the top.

I agree to some not all of your statement

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
And all that said, the Pixel 2 XL is a better device in every way that I can think of than the OP6, and if it's $150 less than the OP6, then that means a better device for less money = defacto better value. If there was a debate on the P2XL vs the OP6 as far as which is better, then it'd be a little more complicated, but I don't think many people are going to make that claim. If they do, that claim has to be made outside of the value proposition that it's objectively better, and that just, at least to me, seems like a silly argument to make.

How is the Pixel 2 XL going to be $150 cheaper than a 1+6?

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
The deal in this thread, $499 P2XL refurb vs 1+6T at $640 or $650 or whatever Ca_lvn quoted earlier in the thread (not sure where that price comes from).

Hmm I missed that part. That makes no sense really, the cheapest 1+6 is still cheaper than a Pixel 2XL @ $499 retail because of taxes.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
How is $529 a better deal than $499 after 7% (or whatever sales tax is paid in your area) is added?

I live in Texas so $499 is gonna ring up at $540.17. And I am not saying its a "better deal", just bottom line cheaper. A $540 Pixel 2XL can be seen as a better VALUE over a $529 1+6. Even at 7% it still will cost more...