Question Reload text conversation

dsproles

Oct 8, 2023
Visit site
I deleted an entire text conversation between my wife and myself from my phone. I am trying to find a way to get the whole conversation from my wife's phone and reload it back onto my phone's text messages. Any help would be appreciated. thank you.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately (and for a reason), texts aren't recoverable unless you have a previous back up either on a cloud account that supports it (i.e. Google) or from a 3rd party app the threads were exported into. Some apps support a 'trash bin' where conversations aren't deleted from the main database but rather moved to a temporary location that gets expunged after the set period of time expires, but you'd see that in the settings for the messaging app you're using.

Reactions: B. Diddy

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums. As SpookDroid explained it is pretty much impossible without any forethought but there's always a maybe. We'll need to know a few things first.

What app do you use for SMS?

When you deleted the conversation did it ask you to agree to the deletion?

Have you checked the app's settings for a trash can?

You say you want to get the conversations back from your wife's phone, which sounds like the two of you are still together or on good terms, would this be mutually agreed to exchange?

Do you have an old phone laying around?

The first 3 are kind of self explanatory, the app will dictate whether or not it will help you retrieve the conversations. It will either have a trash option or not, unfortunately sometimes you have to turn it on before it's an option, which no one ever tells you until it's too late. If it didn't ask for a second step where you agreed twice it might have a trash option.

Anyway, I'll speculate on the mutual retrieval idea last. It's a long shot but in my head I see how it might work.

On to the spare phone idea. I don't seem to get the option when I factory reset my phones but when I switch phones I seem to always get asked if I want to restore messages. The last time I think I was even asked if I wanted the last 6 months, last year or everything. I usually opt for the latter. Try factory resetting your old phone and then slip your SIM card in to it and see if what options it gives you. It might also be important to have tried this before your carrier's system updates and pushes out items it thinks you've deleted. So time may be of the essences. If it doesn't work no harm no foul put your SIM back and you're done. If it works however you'll want to get a backup app that saves SMS and save the conversation so you can restore it to your current device. I always recommend MyBackupPro. I don't know if it still does but it used to come with a free trial and has a lot of good features and since you'd only need it for this one operation why not get the most out of it.

Now this leads kind of leans into my question about the mutually agreeable restoration. I'm wondering if, and I've never tried this but, I'm wondering if your wife got a backup app, like MyBackupPro which allows you to back up individual conversations, if she backed up your conversation then gave you access to the backup if you would then be able to load it onto your phone? It seems like a long shot for a couple of reasons, it might appear out of order for you since these messages are from her perspective for one. It may not even allow you to load the backup since it's her backup even if you have access. If you both aren't using the same app there may be an issue if it allows the first two, so you might want to get the same app or have her download your app and use it as the source for the backup. She can always uninstall it and go back to her original app afterwards. This rather than you installing her app then trying to move a conversation back to your old app. Blah blah blah.

Well let us know what you find. Tell us the answers to 1, 2 and 3. Until then best wishes.

Reactions: B. Diddy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000