Report any issues here after 4.1

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
So far am not sure if it's worth installing the update folks.. From this thread and a few others some seem to think JB is a big improvement, while others think it's minor or perhaps even a step back. Haven't heard if the update improves the low light camera performance either, which is my primary gripe with this device. My phone works great running 4.0.4, terrific battery life, everything is smooth and I rarely do any restarts.. And while Google Now must be cool, just not sure I want to risk having any issues by updating.. The new Smart Suite Samsung will release looks nice, and I wonder if it would run on a phone with ICS? Anyway, would love to get the general impressions from everyone. And yes I'm only 6 mos as an Android user coming from 4 years with iOS.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
So far am not sure if it's worth installing the update folks.. From this thread and a few others some seem to think JB is a big improvement, while others think it's minor or perhaps even a step back. Haven't heard if the update improves the low light camera performance either, which is my primary gripe with this device. My phone works great running 4.0.4, terrific battery life, everything is smooth and I rarely do any restarts.. And while Google Now must be cool, just not sure I want to risk having any issues by updating.. The new Smart Suite Samsung will release looks nice, and I wonder if it would run on a phone with ICS? Anyway, would love to get the general impressions from everyone. And yes I'm only 6 mos as an Android user coming from 4 years with iOS.

Look at it this way, if it does mess a couple of things up you will learn more about the phone.........................:eek:

Honestly, I updated and had no issues. After all is said and done I don't find it to be a big deal to update because the differences are minor in my opinion. It would'nt have bothered me to stay ICS

Scythe55

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I think performance is a lot better, overall. I like the update, but it's not like it's going to magically make everything better. I've had zero issues with the update, and zero issues since the update.

Scythe55

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The trash bin has been removed from my camera viewing app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

It's not removed, it's simply moved. When looking at the photo you want to delete, hit your menu key (touch button left of the menu button). It will bring up a menu....The trash (delete) button is at the top of the list.

TURBOSPARTAN

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
My internet connection blows now. I used to have connection all of over my building (LTE turned on in Denver about a month ago as well) but now unless I'm near a window... I don't show LTE, 4G, 3G or even E... just the 5 bars of "basic" cell coverage. So I can't refresh websites, can't send text photos, etc. Even when it shows the 4G LTE or 4G, it still is struggling to even send anything through. I'm trying to send a picture through text and it is just KILLING my battery trying to send it. I was at over 70% less than an hour ago... now I'm at 37% after trying to send the pic multiple times. Now I'm trying to gmail it and it won't send either.

Normally I'd say its the network... but it worked the exact same every single day since I got the phone in July, until yesterday (I updated to JB Wednesday night). Can't even run a SpeedTest app as the connection falters before the test is over.

Other than that, everything seems good. Phone seems a little snappier. Keyboard kind of sucks because it will choose your incorrectly spelled word over the correct spelling, unless you tap the correct spelling (where before it would automatically adjust to the correct spelling unless you tapped the incorrect word).

Last edited:

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
OK got it.. Perhaps I'll do the update and keep my fingers crossed. The only thing that doesn't seem to function correctly is receiving OTA updates, though it could also be the network. Others posting have said the update removes data toggling, but not sure what they mean. Are you saying that the mobile data toggle in the notification bar is no longer there? Thanks guys.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
What is the deal with red rectangle border on emails or calendar or calls?

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

Randy Kennedy

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I noticed it too, but I think everything may be fine. If you notice when you toggle the Wi-Fi setting, the 4G status icon in the notification bar disappears indicating to me that it's automatically disabling the mobile data feature. When the Wi-Fi setting is toggled off, the 4G status icon reappears. This is how I always thought it should have worked in the first place. I always thought it was unusual to disable Mobile Data when enabling Wi-Fi just to ensure that everything was going through Wi-Fi.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I am noticing some slight lag when scrolling between home screens. I did a factory reset, and it's still there, no matter if I use stock, Nova, or Apex launcher. (I noticed it on a friend's phone as well the day before I updated too)
If that's all I find wrong, I can live with it, although it's a little frustrating since I never had lag on ICS.

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
My calendar only goes back to a month before the day of the update. Kinda sad about that.

EDIT:

Fixed that. Deleted calendar storage and resunk. No luck. Added calendar account lost in data purge back into phone (doh!) and still no events older than one month after sync. Exported and re-imported calendar on my desktop and now I have it all back. Good luck with that. Convoluted pos that desktop calendar.

Last edited:

Enraged Medic

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Wow, battery life is HORRENDOUS on 4.1! I thought Jelly Bean was supposed to enhance the battery life by kicking up the CPU when it needed to be (like when your fingers make contact with the screen) and knocking down the CPU (when the screen is off). 89% battery after EXTREMELY light usage (3 or 4 texts and less than 15 minutes of on screen time) and connected to Wi-Fi for 5 hours. Now, that may be acceptable for some but when I had ICS it would take more than 8 hours before it got to this point (basically little to no usage). I did a factory reset to see if it would help mitigate the problem. I guess I'll wait and see if the ROM will "settle" in.

Some other things I've noticed: the LED notification light is waaaaaay more dim than it used to be on ICS. Before I performed the factory reset, the 4G icon would stay on even though I was connected to Wi-Fi, since the reset that hasn't been an issue.

I am no stranger to rooting and I may very well be on my way to letting Odin free my S3 from its shackles and start running some custom JB ROMS. I'm pretty sure things are supposed to get better with updates, not worse.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow, battery life is HORRENDOUS on 4.1! I thought Jelly Bean was supposed to enhance the battery life by kicking up the CPU when it needed to be (like when your fingers make contact with the screen) and knocking down the CPU (when the screen is off). 89% battery after EXTREMELY light usage (3 or 4 texts and less than 15 minutes of on screen time) and connected to Wi-Fi for 5 hours. Now, that may be acceptable for some but when I had ICS it would take more than 8 hours before it got to this point (basically little to no usage). I did a factory reset to see if it would help mitigate the problem. I guess I'll wait and see if the ROM will "settle" in.

Some other things I've noticed: the LED notification light is waaaaaay more dim than it used to be on ICS. Before I performed the factory reset, the 4G icon would stay on even though I was connected to Wi-Fi, since the reset that hasn't been an issue.

I am no stranger to rooting and I may very well be on my way to letting Odin free my S3 from its shackles and start running some custom JB ROMS. I'm pretty sure things are supposed to get better with updates, not worse.

Take a deep breath and pull the battery. Leave it out for two minutes and restart. Make sure power save mode is still engaged. Just my suggestions. No offense intended.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

CrazyCamel369#AC

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Alright so after a few days of use I've noticed a few things

My battery life isn't as good as it was before but it's still a lot better than most phones I've used
My keyboard still won't default to Swiftkey but that isn't a big issue
When I am texting, I am noticing my screen kind of flicker. Not sure if anyone else is having that problem but it freaks me out when I see it happen haha

But overall, the phone is a lot faster and it doesn't consume as much RAM as it use to. Before the update after opening a bunch of apps and playing around it would idle with 1gb of RAM used now the most I've seen it use is around 800mb.

laplace1

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I noticed, but figured that was removed in 4.1.1 (replaced with <driving mode>? Don't remember seeing that before). Cynically speaking, I wonder if AT&T removed it to make it more difficult to disable the data connection= more potential data overages? I only disable it at night, so I just go through settings.
The data toggle is not on the notification screen but if you pull down the notification bar and press the setting icon data usage will be in the list. Click that and you have access to turn data on or off.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay so my main issue that I'm currently having is that my SwiftKey does not stay as my default keyboard. Anyone else having that problem?

Mine doesn't stay after a reboot either. Although, here's the kicker: it was fine before I did a factory reset....... Wtf?

Lane L

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
No, Airplane Mode disables ALL wireless communications. Using the Mobile data toggle only disables data. Allowing it to still get text and I calls. I had to go through settings to disable it last night to save my battery. I hope it gets put back.
Ummmm, isn't that what AIRPLANE MODE is?

- - - Updated - - -

No, Airplane Mode disables ALL wireless communications. Using the Mobile data toggle only disables data. Allowing it to still get text and I calls. I had to go through settings to disable it last night to save my battery. I hope it gets put back.
Ummmm, isn't that what AIRPLANE MODE is?