Residue left on phone after glass screen install

Buttaz54

Sep 13, 2019
Visit site
I installed a Whitestone Dome screen protector and the tape they give you to cover buttons and holes didn't hold up well. It allowed alot of adhesive to leak all down the sides of my phone and it is a mess. I've been cleaning it down with alcohol pads but when I think I'm done and wipe it dry, it's almost like a greasy mess on my hands and phone still. Not sure if the screen protector even cured right. Under the sides of the screen protector, there seem to be spots of adhesive still. I'm about to just rip it off and clean it up and find something else to put on.

Buttaz54

Sep 13, 2019
Visit site
Hi, this your first attempt at it ? Did you watch videos on installing it ?

First time installing it. I watched a few videos from other people and I watched their video on their website 100 times lol.

The whole process went smooth except the fact their was adhesive everywhere. The tape on all 4 sides was soaked in it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
First time installing it. I watched a few videos from other people and I watched their video on their website 100 times lol.

The whole process went smooth except the fact their was adhesive everywhere. The tape on all 4 sides was soaked in it.
Hmm..sounds like something didn't go well, did the glue go in the middle of the phone then put the protector and then lay the screen protector to spread across the device? It should be very little to clean up excess glue. The way you described it that no glue went under the screen protector and all over the the phone.

Buttaz54

Sep 13, 2019
Visit site
Were the white absorbent pads present on the jig? How long did you cure it for?

Yes it came with some preinstalled on the jig. Those were soaked in the end as well. I cured it for 15 secs on top and 15 secs on bottom and then removed from jig and cured 60 secs top and 60 secs bottom twice.

Buttaz54

Sep 13, 2019
Visit site
Hmm..sounds like something didn't go well, did the glue go in the middle of the phone then put the protector and then lay the screen protector to spread across the device? It should be very little to clean up excess glue. The way you described it that no glue went under the screen protector and all over the the phone.

Yea I made sure the surface was level before starting. The adhesive went right in the middle of the screen and didn't spread until the protector was laid on it. It said to let it sit for 2 minutes minimum so the adhesive can spread. I wonder if I let it sit too long maybe and that's why some came out. My fiance came in and distracted me while I was waiting for the 2 minutes to go by.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yea I made sure the surface was level before starting. The adhesive went right in the middle of the screen and didn't spread until the protector was laid on it. It said to let it sit for 2 minutes minimum so the adhesive can spread. I wonder if I let it sit too long maybe and that's why some came out. My fiance came in and distracted me while I was waiting for the 2 minutes to go by.
Did you get the 2 pack screen protector? Maybe try one more time , it's hard to say what exactly happened but definitely shouldn't be that much glue , a little on the sides and top or bottom to clean but that should really be it .

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes it came with some preinstalled on the jig. Those were soaked in the end as well. I cured it for 15 secs on top and 15 secs on bottom and then removed from jig and cured 60 secs top and 60 secs bottom twice.

And you wiped it down between the 15 and 60 second curing?

It's advised to do top, bottom AND middle because the S21 ultra is so massive... Maybe the centre portion didn't cure correctly and is slowly leaking out...

Buttaz54

Sep 13, 2019
Visit site
Did you get the 2 pack screen protector? Maybe try one more time , it's hard to say what exactly happened but definitely shouldn't be that much glue , a little on the sides and top or bottom to clean but that should really be it .

I got the 2 pack. I'll leave mine on for now and try it on my fiance's phone so she can start using it. Should the glue that comes out the sides be like an oily residue? Does it dry eventually? Never done this before until last night.

Buttaz54

Sep 13, 2019
Visit site
And you wiped it down between the 15 and 60 second curing?

It's advised to do top, bottom AND middle because the S21 ultra is so massive... Maybe the centre portion didn't cure correctly and is slowly leaking out...

No, I didn't wipe it down between curing. I seen a few videos someone mentioned doing top middle and bottom but I decided to just do it like they did in the video on Whitedome's website. I'll give it a go on my fiance's phone and try these tips out.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I got the 2 pack. I'll leave mine on for now and try it on my fiance's phone so she can start using it. Should the glue that comes out the sides be like an oily residue? Does it dry eventually? Never done this before until last night.
The little residue is oily then when dry gets rubbery but can wipe off easily

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You didn't use both of the bottles of LOCA that they supply did you? One is extra in case you need to back out and try again. One bottle shouldn't have been enough to leak like that.

Buttaz54

Sep 13, 2019
Visit site
You didn't use both of the bottles of LOCA that they supply did you? One is extra in case you need to back out and try again. One bottle shouldn't have been enough to leak like that.

Nope just used one. There were 3 bottles in my set but I only used one. Someone mentioned maybe it wasn't cured properly. possibility.