Returned to the Note 9

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The screen on the iPhone Xs Max is very good, but I can't see how it is better than the screen on the Note 9 - not visually or spec wise. Even Apple engineers would admit that fact.

guitar_65riff

Jun 20, 2018
Visit site
My son is a real apple fan boy! Everything he has is Apple. TV /phone/mac the lot. He teases me for 'settling' for android which he says is an abomination. Have you ever noticed that an Apple fan cannot actually elaborate on their argument...
I notice he's been a bit quiet since I got the Note 9

kptsalami

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Black crush or shadow clipping is an issue when a part of the screen that is very close to absolute black (but not quite) loses a lot of detail, especially at very low brightness level. The term is used in Erica Griffin's Note 9 Review part 1, from minute 4:53 onwards

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I have owned every Galaxy S and Note model ever released, even the Note 7. So I am not new to Android phones. In my case my XS Max has a better display than my Note 9 and the black crush problem has been a problem for Samsung every release. I love both the phones and are not an Apple fanboy or a Samsung fanboy
I'm a dual user and always have both devices. Even the iPhone XS Max exhibits a level a black crush also. Heck even OLED TVs when calibrated properly still have a level of black crush. Is it more or less on a particular device? Well, depends on who you talk to as everyone will see things differently at different brightness levels.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
hehehehe [evil laughter]
My son is a real apple fan boy! Everything he has is Apple. TV /phone/mac the lot. He teases me for 'settling' for android which he says is an abomination. Have you ever noticed that an Apple fan cannot actually elaborate on their argument...
I notice he's been a bit quiet since I got the Note 9

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Last week, I was so sure of myself here in these forums that I would give up my Note 9 for the iPhone XS Max and I wouldn't return to the Note 9 as my daily driver. After spending a week with the 512GB gold iPhone XS Max, I felt stupid that I paid so much money for it ($1,449!) and I returned it. It had very few features when compared to the Note 9. I was getting weaker cell signal with the iPhone and the display looked like it was made by LG (Pixel 2 XL owners know what I'm talking about). It was not a good display at all. The cost value was not there for the device.

I'm glad to be back on my Note 9. I'm on the device I really want.

OP, I am very confused. In your post on September, 27th you state you felt stupid that you paid so much money for it and returned it. You also said the cost value was not there for the device.

However on September, 30th in an Apple forum you speak of the charging issues you are having with your XS Max and October, 1st you make mention that you just returned from the Apple Genius bar and that they informed you the charging issue was not a hardware issue that you could expect an update in a week or two.

Did you or did you not return the XS Max? LOL. Sounds like you still have it.

The reason I inquire is because I am on the fence in terms of getting the iPhone XS Max and Galaxy Note 9. I am about 75% in favor of the Galaxy Note 9 as I feel you get way more bang for your buck.

I priced it out and for what I'd pay for a 256gb iPhone XS Max, glass screen protector, case and Applecare+ I could get the Note 9, glass screen protector, case, Samsung Wireless charger and Samsung Premium Care for a few hundred less.

Sounds to me like you may have both, which I know contradicts your post here but just basing that on what I've read in other forums. If you do have both, can you with all honesty, share which one you'd keep if you could only have one device and why?

I feel like the only reason the XS Max has a 25% chance right now is because I am fairly deep into the Apple ecosystem. Outside of that, everything points towards the Note 9 for me.

I've tended to always have an iOS and Android device. Right now I have the 8 Plus and S8+. Already have a buyer for my S8+ and will keep the 8 Plus to use as a secondary phone or to switch too when I want to change things up. Note 9 would be my daily driver and based on what I've read here it would be one hell of an awesome daily driver.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
OP, I am very confused. In your post on September, 27th you state you felt stupid that you paid so much money for it and returned it. You also said the cost value was not there for the device.

However on September, 30th in an Apple forum you speak of the charging issues you are having with your XS Max and October, 1st you make mention that you just returned from the Apple Genius bar and that they informed you the charging issue was not a hardware issue that you could expect an update in a week or two.

Did you or did you not return the XS Max? LOL. Sounds like you still have it.

The reason I inquire is because I am on the fence in terms of getting the iPhone XS Max and Galaxy Note 9. I am about 75% in favor of the Galaxy Note 9 as I feel you get way more bang for your buck.

I priced it out and for what I'd pay for a 256gb iPhone XS Max, glass screen protector, case and Applecare+ I could get the Note 9, glass screen protector, case, Samsung Wireless charger and Samsung Premium Care for a few hundred less.

Sounds to me like you may have both, which I know contradicts your post here but just basing that on what I've read in other forums. If you do have both, can you with all honesty, share which one you'd keep if you could only have one device and why?

I feel like the only reason the XS Max has a 25% chance right now is because I am fairly deep into the Apple ecosystem. Outside of that, everything points towards the Note 9 for me.

I've tended to always have an iOS and Android device. Right now I have the 8 Plus and S8+. Already have a buyer for my S8+ and will keep the 8 Plus to use as a secondary phone or to switch too when I want to change things up. Note 9 would be my daily driver and based on what I've read here it would be one hell of an awesome daily driver.

Cheers.

I still have the XS Max. I was going to return it after I made the OP, but I felt like taking advantage of the 14 day return period. I still have until Saturday to return it.

I didn't say I felt dumb paying for the Note 9. I said I felt dumb paying for the iPhone XS Max (I still do). It's literally a larger version of the iPhone X from last year. That's it. It's the exact same device, but bigger and slightly better specs.

If you want the best phone money can buy, I recommend the Note 9. It has way more features dollar-to-dollar vs the iPhone XS Max. I'm probably going to keep the Note 9 and get rid of the XS Max. But as some of you know, my mind changes like the wind when it comes to phones. Which is weird because I'm a manager at work and I can make up my mind on work and life-related things.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
One thing I absolutely hate about the Note phone is that curved display. Would be a perfect device with a nice flat display.

The curved display kinda sucks, but the Whitestone Dome Glass screen protector works flawlessly on the curved display and it doesn't come off easily like the cheaper crappy Zagg glass protectors.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I still have the XS Max. I was going to return it after I made the OP, but I felt like taking advantage of the 14 day return period. I still have until Saturday to return it.

I didn't say I felt dumb paying for the Note 9. I said I felt dumb paying for the iPhone XS Max (I still do). It's literally a larger version of the iPhone X from last year. That's it. It's the exact same device, but bigger and slightly better specs.

If you want the best phone money can buy, I recommend the Note 9. It has way more features dollar-to-dollar vs the iPhone XS Max. I'm probably going to keep the Note 9 and get rid of the XS Max. But as some of you know, my mind changes like the wind when it comes to phones. Which is weird because I'm a manager at work and I can make up my mind on work and life-related things.

Cheers, I appreciate you replying. I am going to pick up the Note 9 when it goes on sale here again. There was just a $100 off sale, also big discount on Samsung cases. I wasn't quite decided at the time but next time it's on sale I am going to purchase.

PS - I was referring to the XS Max when referencing you feeling stupid for purchasing. Apologies for any misunderstanding there.

Best to you!