Returning Evo 3D for new Sprint Motorola Photon 4G? Compare.

Are you returning your E3D for the Motorola Photon?

• Total voters

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Returning the Evo 3D for the new Sprint Motorola Photon 4G?

Since you asked, yes... I returned mine and got the Photon. No regrets.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site

For what reason(s)?

There were many of them... the 3D's capacitive buttons were too bright, missed the kickstand, bad 3g reception/call-quality, the bug that loses an app icon when you move it to SD, Sense bloat, no hdmi port, plus more.

jayke70

May 5, 2011
Visit site

There were many of them... the 3D's capacitive buttons were too bright, missed the kickstand, bad 3g reception/call-quality, the bug that loses an app icon when you move it to SD, Sense bloat, no hdmi port, plus more.

Kind of seems you had your mind made up before you even bought the 3vo.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site

Don't know why you'd say that. Sure, I knew going in that it didn't have a kickstand or hdmi port. I would have lived with those if it weren't for the other problems I had.

jayke70

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Choices seem to get harder to make. Honestly picking phones is getting harder by the day. after Epic and 4 replacement Nexus s phones I will never trust Samsung again, I've had the 3vo for a week and loving it so far. Only thing that bugs me is with the 2d camera I'm having trouble getting used to keeping it focused. Other than that I actually like Sense I honestly didn't think I would (I don't know anything about rooting.) Since I'm still in my 30 days, I'm going to go try to look at the Photon this weekend to make my mind up for sure.( I haven't used a Moto since a Slider i had on T-Mobile in 2001) I'm trying to keep an open mind. After reading the reviews so far I think I'm still leaning toward keeping the 3vo. Even with out the 3d Its still a great phone. The one question I do have is Who going to provide better support down the road. HTC has seemed to step up when it comes to keeping up with the updates (unlike Samsung) how does Motorola compare?

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site

HTC has seemed to step up when it comes to keeping up with the updates
(unlike Samsung) how does Motorola compare?

Moto has promised, so I guess I'll see. I know enough not to go with Samsung, no matter what they say. Still have the scars from my prison sentence with the Instinct.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I really believe HTC cares about its customers in a way that none of the other manufacturers do. Especially when it comes to updating its flagship devices - OG Desire, case in point.

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk

jayke70

May 5, 2011
Visit site

I really believe HTC cares about its customers in a way that none of the other manufacturers do. Especially when it comes to updating its flagship devices - OG Desire, case in point.

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
In"stink".... I made that mistake too. and yet I still ended up getting an Epic and even though they say Nexus S is a Google phone, it still says Samsung on the back of it. Never again.. (Not even considering the Galaxy S II)

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Re: Not impressed with the Photon...at all

This is not a flamebait thread nor am I bashing the photon. Just my opinion on the phone the android central editors seem to be in love with, so much more than the 3d which they seem to have a disdain for. Anyway.. Went to my local sprint store to check it out. My impression? The penile screen was unimpressive and looked grainy, motorblur felt cold and slow, much slower than sense. The phone was a lot lighter but also felt cheaper. Am I missing something?
Lol @ the "penile" screen! :confused:

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

The Pentile screen and MotoBlur are the biggest kills for me.I'm very happy with my EVO 3D I'm not gonna get another phone on Sprint until the new Nexus phone comes. And that's only if its a big enough upgrade from the EVO 3D. Sense 3.0 is amazing, easily better than any other UI or Launcher.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Why people keep saying the phone has MotoBlur is beyond me because it doesn't. If you've used an Atrix you'll notice the difference. MotoBlur requires you to create an account to use the social networking services. Although the icons are the same on the Photon, it's definitely not MotoBlur.

cheechmo

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Why people keep saying the phone has MotoBlur is beyond me because it doesn't. If you've used an Atrix you'll notice the difference. MotoBlur requires you to create an account to use the social networking services. Although the icons are the same on the Photon, it's definitely not MotoBlur.
You can call it what you want. NotBlur? Artist Formerly Known as Blur? Doesn't really matter, it's still the descendent of Blur. It even still has code that says Blur, Moto just doesn't publicly call it that any more.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

You can call it what you want. NotBlur? Artist Formerly Known as Blur? Doesn't really matter, it's still the descendent of Blur. It even still has code that says Blur, Moto just doesn't publicly call it that any more.

My point is that it's not Blur regardless what underlying code is incorporated into it. It's like calling a cheeseburger a hamburger. Sure, they both have meat, but 1 has cheese and the other doesn't! ;)

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

My point is that it's not Blur regardless what underlying code is incorporated into it. It's like calling a cheeseburger a hamburger. Sure, they both have meat, but 1 has cheese and the other doesn't! ;)

Ahh, but what if you don't like hamburger!? ;) Sorry, I had to :)

Actually different people like different things. It is great that we have so many choices. I happen to be happy with the one I made but it isn't a bad thing to know you can get something else if you want.

MacBook

May 17, 2010
Visit site

This is not a flamebait thread nor am I bashing the photon. Just my opinion on the phone the android central editors seem to be in love with, so much more than the 3d which they seem to have a disdain for. Anyway.. Went to my local sprint store to check it out. My impression? The penile screen was unimpressive and looked grainy, motorblur felt cold and slow, much slower than sense. The phone was a lot lighter but also felt cheaper. Am I missing something?

I had an Evo 3D and personally I thought it was total crap. Far to many problems with that phone...I wanted to like it because I really liked sense 3.0 but there were to many things about it that were just unacceptable for me. I will admit that when I first got my photon I wasn't a fan of the screen but after owning it for a few days I don't even notice it.. Not to mention that it works flawlessly and I don't have any of the problems that I had with the 3D... People love trashing the Photon and I don't even understand why a whole thread was created just for you to make an Opinion on how terrible you think the photon is lol. And by the way I think you meant "Pentile" screen. And the UI on the Photon is not Moto Blur either its actually called Ghost blur until Motorola can come up with an "official" name for it.

Last edited:

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Lol I don't understand why a whole thread was created on the EVO 3D section of this site asking people what their most significant problem with the phone is without an option for N/A or None. Not everyone has problems. All phones aren't for everyone. I am just glad that Android is so popular and there are so many phones to choose from. We've come a long way, baby! Sorry you had so many problems and happy you found a device that works for you.

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site

The best part is e3d owners are talking about the photon and calling it cheap and this and that; photon owners aren't wasting their time in the photon section trying to justify why a phone is better. gather up the htc fan boys and circle the wagons.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

The best part is e3d owners are talking about the photon and calling it cheap and this and that; photon owners aren't wasting their time in the photon section trying to justify why a phone is better. gather up the htc fan boys and circle the wagons.

Haha, no the Photon phans are over here trashing the 3D. I don't understand why people can't accept the fact that there is no one size fits all phone. We all have different wants and needs and preferences and there is no need to criticize someone's choice. I haven't posted one thing over there, nor do I plan to.

Reactions: Averix

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

I had an Evo 3D and personally I thought it was total crap. Far to many problems with that phone...I wanted to like it because I really liked sense 3.0 but there were to many things about it that were just unacceptable for me. I will admit that when I first got my photon I wasn't a fan of the screen but after owning it for a few days I don't even notice it.. Not to mention that it works flawlessly and I don't have any of the problems that I had with the 3D... People love trashing the Photon and I don't even understand why a whole thread was created just for you to make an Opinion on how terrible you think the photon is lol. And by the way I think you meant "Pentile" screen. And the UI on the Photon is not Moto Blur either its actually called Ghost blur until Motorola can come up with an "official" name for it.

I've never visited the Photon thread, because I do not own one. I own a 3D so I posted MY opinion of the Photon in the thread of the device that I own. It's worth mentioning how awful the Photon's screen is and also I am pointing out the bias I see in editorials. To me the Photon's screen is unacceptable for a 2011 smartphone, but somehow the optional and awesome 3D feature is a negative.

Reactions: Wiley_11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays