Returning phone due to poor signal strength?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Even when I updated my prl, it stayed on 21079 until I used the cellebrite to update it... Updating it from the menu settings doesnt always seem to work..
Did that make a difference in your reception? My reception is "ok" but admittedly it's not at the level I had on my original EVO.

Edit: Okay, just saw your reply. I guess I'll make a trip to Sprint to get it checked out.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Did that make a difference in your reception? My reception is "ok" but admittedly it's not at the level I had on my original EVO.

Edit: Okay, just saw your reply. I guess I'll make a trip to Sprint to get it checked out.

Its worth a shot... Just make sure you go to a reputable shop that knows what they are doing.. Im sure their are are some stores that didnt even know the cellebrite can update your prl..

jackitoday

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I had just decided today that I was going to have to take my 3d back -- came here for a last ditch try at finding a solution. I sure hope this is it. I depend on the hotspot to get internet coverage out here in the boonies -- and in order to get this phone to give me any internet I have to prop it against the window sill. Can't use the phone in bed at all -- and it's only three feet away from the window. I never had any issues on the 3g. I do have the 'wrong' prl apparently, but where to take it is an issue for me. We have no corporate Sprint stores within 40 miles -- do the franchise stores, or Best Buy have that device I need to change the prl?

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Keep in mind that this could be because the PRL has not been released as a regional update yet and the one that is being referenced is still being tested.

Just a thought!

I suspect that is it... The release literally came out over the weekend over the cellebrite..

Best buy does have machines, but im not sure if they are up to date.. I would call them first and ask.

craigdts

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm on 21079. Doesn't help. I get a lot of hanging when surfing or YouTube. Even with strong WiFi or cell connection bars. Didn't happen on EVO 4g

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
PRL has nothing to do with signal strength. There are posts about pushing out some seemingly miss numbered PRL's here in the EVO 4G forum, on Sprint Users, and on Sprints own forums. I don't have enough energy to go searching for the posts but from what I have read there are reasons for the different PRL's one of which may be 3G roaming in certain areas instead of 1x.

wburbage

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
My PRL is also reading 21079 so I'll take it to the local store and let them know the issue I'm having. Hopefully that will take care of it.

Jackson Galaxy

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
The prl system is messed im guessing.. I worked on 2 evo 3ds today, and they both came in with 21079 prls, and once I updated them on the cellebrite, everything worked... Hell even my evo's data wouldnt work when I first got it. My prl was off, and once I updated it, it worked great... The cellebrite system is usually very up to date. Infact the 3vo 3d was just added to the prl list just last weekend. I will get on the sprint employee forums to check out other service centers tomorrow to see if they are having the same issues..

Please let us know.

Instigator187

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I was having terrible signal strength after I updated to prl 21079 last night, the phone was going in and out of roaming every minute with no signal or 1 bar when not roaming. I called customer service this morning and after they tried a few things they told me to exchange it. I told them before I do that I read there was issues with the recent prl update so they had me change my MSID number and everything is working perfectly again, they said that my old MSID may not have been compatible with the prl update. So people having issues recently may want to call up to see if it is a simple fix

Last edited:

hitraj47

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
My PRL is 21079. I don't know what cellebrite is. I have everything else up to date. I noticed that the 3D seemed to have a weaker signal strength than the 4G, but it seemed ok since I was able to connect just fine and speeds were good.

However now I cannot connect to 4G at all and I have no bars on 3G! I am at work right now where on my 4G I could connect to WiMax. Up until today I had no issues connecting to sprint 4G on my 3D, but today it won't even connect and its pissing me off!

What's ridiculous also is that even though I get 0 - 2 3g bars the connection still works and I can use apps and the web that require a data connection.

Saturday will be the next day that I will have free to get in a sprint store and have them look at it. Sprint/HTC better acknowledge this issue by then, at least and they better not say I'm holding it wrong either!!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Chris5#WN

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Gonna call Sprint today, also running 21079 PRL with nothing else out there - Noticed 3D is def not as good as 4G in terms of 3G speeds, Its dam slow even with full bars, I have never had an issue with loading pages on the go, and now it takes awhile - but i will add this i think on the flip side the wifi is faster than 4G which is interesting -

Been thinking about returning for Nexus S for the past couple of days based on camera defects (2nd Evo 3D with green tint to pics both 2d and 3d and video camera - mostly high light 2D, low light 3D low light videos, and now signal strength is bothering me

**interestingly enough though most people have been having success with the profile and prl updates improving quality, i noticed something through all this, if you go to settings and manually update profile and prl thats one thing, BUT going into the dialer and hitting *2 and realizing that no matter how many times you update the profile through settings, there is a profile update notification in the Sprint page that loads up maybe the real way to update, I noticed my signal bars increase afterwards ....

***Another thing i noticed if using Dolphin HD is to download the add on for it called faster browsing or something to that extent which helped as well***

Last edited:

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
PRL (Preferred roaming list)

It's a list of roaming towers, so unless you're roaming, it's not affecting your speeds.

What's ridiculous also is that even though I get 0 - 2 3g bars the connection still works and I can use apps and the web that require a data connection.

Again it sounds like the software just isnt showing enough bars. That doesnt indicate a signal problem but a software problem which would have to be fixed through an update. Interestingly myself and others actually have reported the 3d showing better signal than the 4g which I believe to be true in my case anyways.

I would reccomend doing one of the following before getting a sprint store to flash a different PRL. (1)Do a hard reset. (2)Call tech support. (3)Reset data profile. I also reccomend researching the PRL's that dont match the usual numbering sequence. There is info here on the 4g forum and a ton over at sprintusers.

Last edited:

hitraj47

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Again it sounds like the software just isnt showing enough bars. That doesnt indicate a signal problem but a software problem which would have to be fixed through an update. Interestingly myself and others actually have reported the 3d showing better signal than the 4g which I believe to be true in my case anyways.

I would reccomend doing one of the following before getting a sprint store to flash a different PRL. (1)Do a hard reset. (2)Call tech support. (3)Reset data profile. I also reccomend researching the PRL's that dont match the usual numbering sequence. There is info here on the 4g forum and a ton over at sprintusers.

Thanks for your explanation on PRL.

As for the comment about the software/signal, I am still having trouble connecting to 4G at my desk at work. I've had the phone since launch and have never had a problem until today. When I go into settings it just gets stuck at "obtaining IP address from Sprint ". Interestingly though, if I go downstairs (I am on the top floor) I can connect to 4G okay. I have absolutely no explanation for this.

Lastly, what do you mean by a hard reset? Does that mean a shut down and reboot, or do you mean a factory reset? I have already done the former...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Just stopped by the local sprint store and they did say that the cellibite has an update to the prl. They loaded up on mine and I should know duringy travels tomorrow if it has helped.

mjlash22

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I was having terrible signal strength after I updated to prl 21079 last night, the phone was going in and out of roaming every minute with no signal or 1 bar when not roaming. I called customer service this morning and after they tried a few things they told me to exchange it. I told them before I do that I read there was issues with the recent prl update so they had me change my MSID number and everything is working perfectly again, they said that my old MSID may not have been compatible with the prl update. So people having issues recently may want to call up to see if it is a simple fix

So they didnt change your PRL they just changed your MSID number?

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Lastly, what do you mean by a hard reset? Does that mean a shut down and reboot, or do you mean a factory reset? I have already done the former...

Yes, factory reset.

I may be mistaken but i dont believe the PRL affects 4G. There is a thread somewhere in the 4G forum about changing some of the wimax settings to improve connect/disconnect issues.

One thing i have noticed with this seemingly out of order PRL is i now have 3g when roaming.

Merlin_AZ

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Just got back from a Sprint corp. store.
One of my phones is having a problem connecting to WiFi.
They said there are several known issues they are working on.
WiFi connections, 3G/4G connections, and data speed.
Don't know whether he said this to pacify me or what.
Time will tell.