RIP Blackberry

blueyestm

May 13, 2011
Visit site
They are supposedly going to be releasing a 5G phone which they had estimated in 2021 but I knew better from having to wait long times previously. Onward mobility is currently tasked with the production. We'll see if it comes to fruition as I wait for updates. I'm on the list for one if they get released so says the email for first dibs.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
They are supposedly going to be releasing a 5G phone which they had estimated in 2021 but I knew better from having to wait long times previously. Onward mobility is currently tasked with the production. We'll see if it comes to fruition as I wait for updates. I'm on the list for one if they get released so says the email for first dibs.
I doubt if the device will even be released, and if it is it won't be a phone IMO. It looks like they don't even have a backer to provide funding for whatever they were planning, and they didn't even update their social media to reflect that it is now 2022. The project appears to be dead in the water.

I'd suggest the Unihertz Titan Pocket if you're interested in a PKB.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

OM has been silent for months now. We've been following it closely over in the CrackBerry forums and we have long given up on them.

Story was, they did submit a prototype to one of the potential customers (probably Bank of America, who started the whole thing with a discussion with Chen a couple of years ago) during the Summer and it was rejected. Nothing since, but OM did start talking about security software development after that. Pretty obvious that an actual device is now out of the question.

While there are some members with perpetual hope, even that's been strained as the year has come to an end.

blueyestm

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I doubt if the device will even be released, and if it is it won't be a phone IMO. It looks like they don't even have a backer to provide funding for whatever they were planning, and they didn't even update their social media to reflect that it is now 2022. The project appears to be dead in the water.

I'd suggest the Unihertz Titan Pocket if you're interested in a PKB.

I will not be getting the Titan as that looks like hot garbo. It's Blackberry or bust

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
A future Unihertz phone released as a BlackBerry is probably now just as likely as any other phone being released as a BlackBerry, given where things are now at in terms of BlackBerry probably not ever anymore releasing their own, and no one else seemingly quickly moving either towards any new licensing deals with BlackBerry, like was assumed that OM had.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who used to own the original Blackberry phones won't be able to use them from January 4th. The Android versions will still work but those running BBOS will stop functioning. RIP BlackBerry

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/old-blackberry-phones-will-stop-working-from-january-4
Well, technically BlackBerry got out of the phone business about 5 years ago. Their last device was the Priv.

BlackBerry the company is going along fine with their corporate and healthcare security and automotive business. Stuff the average consumer won't hear about.

They licensed the name and some of the software to TCL for the Key devices.

For OM, all they did was license the name only and got paid for it. Basically OM just bought a BB sticker. OM wasn't even going to use the security from BlackBerry. They were going to use their own.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

BlackBerry merely licensed their name to Onward Mobility and production was supposed to be FIH Mobility at time of announcement 18 months ago.

The project appears to be DOA since there's been no updates for almost 12 months and the website doesn't show any updates since late 2020 or early 2021 depending on what one considers updates.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I will not be getting the Titan as that looks like hot garbo...

Not sure why you say the Titan is "hot garbo". It's far from a flagship Android or BlackBerry, but I think many are happy with it and with the Unihertz Pocket for why they got it, as a niche basic Android PKB.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
The forum traffic over on CB is just a buzz with the BBOS/BB10/PlaybookOS shutdown. It's basically almost a play by play going on for folks reporting what is still working vs what is not, as BlackBerry and carriers are probably shutting down different individual servers/services and such in steps and perhaps even based on region of the world. Lots of good theories are being put to the test as to how usable or not the devices will be after the shutdown is fully completed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non