Roku 3 stick

royal hussar

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Its getting close to Christmas and I thought about Chrome Cast but as my local store were out of stock I was persuaded me to purchase a Roku 3 explaining the advantages of its remote control etc. Well followed all the instructions and set it up to stream from the internet last evening which works well. Thats about it as it will not mirror screen with either my Nexus 7 2012 on LP or my Hudl or my iPhone 4. As we know the latest LP system gives us Cast Screen in the drop down but delving further into the display there is no option to enable it. So do I wait in the hope this will be enabled soon or do I just take the Roku back ? make no mistake the iPlayer demand 5 and youtube streaming is fine but that not what I really bought it for.. Any input is welcome Ta chaps and chapesses ;)

tjbute

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 7 2012 does not have the hardware to mirror the screen to a Roku. The Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 4 screen mirror to the Roku 3 well - I use it often. I also have a 2012 Nexus 7. The screen mirroring was one of the reasons I recently upgraded the Nexus 7. I don't know if a Nexus 7 2012 will screen mirror to a Chromecast.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
You can mirror the 2012 Nexus 7 to a Chromecast using the Chromecast app, but as with many things Google, it's considered to be in beta.

royal hussar

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Roku stick

ok then will try the Chromecast app back soon. ok then will try the Chromecast app back soon. OK UncleMike what's the trick downloaded the Chromcast app Roku is working as I can stream iPlayer etc but try to Mirror and " no devices seen. When trying it on the Roku app it sees my Netgear but will not connect so I go to the Connect manually and enter the full IP address for the stick but still nowt. People are making statements but have they actually tried it or are they quoting from somewhere else ? If I can get it to work today UncleMike then great I will forever gratefull if not tomorrow it goes back as it would seem the guy in the store was telling porky pies
Let me also say I am computer literate so if this will work I should be able to make it do so.>>>>>>
I have downloaded the Cromecast extension checked all the advice re Home network stc rebooted but still " No Devices Seen " HEEEEELP plz

Last edited:

royal hussar

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Roku stick

this just does not work so if you want to cast from a 2012 Nexus 7 or a Hudl 1 or an iPhone 4 forget it. can not even see the Roku stick on my network on the lappy though its obviously as it streams to the TV over the wifi. Can not cast to it from the lappy win 7 using the cast in Chrome either

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
You may have misread what I wrote above. Using the Chromecast app you can mirror a 2012 Nexus 7 to a Chromecast device connected to your TV. I know nothing about Roku or its features.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

royal hussar

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
UncleMike thank you but here is weird for you. Got up this morning put the TV on and laptop and Hudl and Nexus 7 2012. Went to the HDMI that the Roku is connected to and then tapped the app on my nexus...Up comes a screen Roku device detected and the option to select which I did. So using the Tablet app remote went to Youtube and select something to watch. It came up with a code to put into Youtube/pair then a code which I did. Hit the cast icon on the YT screen got a drop down from the Chromecast icon top right of lappy screen giving me the option to select the Roku device which I did, Hey presto spent the morning watch all sorts of stuff selected on my lappy and cast to the TV.. NOW here is the rub its now not working and I have no idea why...no matter what I do it will not see the device is this what beta means LOL ??? this info may help someone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BernhardDieter