Roll Call for Verizon GNex Owners - How Many of Us Chose the Moto X?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I made the swap as well and waited for Moto Maker. I almost grabbed a Maxx, which is a NICE device but I decided I wanted to give MotoMaker a whirl and I hypothesized that the MX would get updates faster since it's on every carrier. Being a Nexus guy that liked these features and knew that rooting and roming couldn't really come into play easily with this device, I let updates win out over wireless charging and the larger battery (I'm near a wall or a car charger most of the day). I'm satisfied with that choice.

I feel a bit similar regarding the Maxx versus the X. I was very tempted by the Maxx, but I felt like the X would be Motorola 's true flagship and would be supported add such. Plus, the minute I held the X, I fell in love with it because of the way it felt in my hand. Oh, and I absolutely hate the capacitive buttons on the Maxx. They totally ruin what is otherwise a beautiful looking front of a phone.

Every single time someone holds my phone, they comment on how nice it feels, including my sister, who has a Maxx. That's just another thing that helps to confirm to me that I made the right choice between the two.

TechRaider05

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Switched from AT&T to VZW two years ago, stupidly losing my unlimited data plan then just to get the GNex. My original GNex crapped out on me in September by shutting off randomly and not rebooting for two days while in Vegas. Replacement GNex was just to get me to December and get a new phone. Chose the Moto X because of the similar size to the GNex and the better battery life than the Nexus 5 from what I had read. Back to AT&T and only paying about half of what VZW was charging me.

Love the Moto X and can't believe I put up with the GNex for the last year with how slow it was with only 1gig of RAM. And the battery life of the Moto X blows it away. I couldn't take the GNex off the charger without losing 10% battery life it seemed.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually I retired both my GNexus and S3 on Sept. 11.2013 .Thats the day I got the Moto X .
Both my GNexus and S3 worked great I just wanted to try something else.I actually dont have any major complaints against any of the other android phones(Dinc,DX) I used either.
I usually root my phones within a few days of purchase and I did with the Moto X as well.
The only difference I did unroot it the same day I rooted it.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Both my GNexus and S3 worked great
If your GNex worked great, you must live where there is a strong signal! Whenever I was in a strong signal area, my GNex was fantastic. But go somewhere with a weaker signal and I would drop calls and it couldn't hold onto a 4G LTE signal even when other phones could.

And the battery life was not great, either.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If your GNex worked great, you must live where there is a strong signal! Whenever I was in a strong signal area, my GNex was fantastic. But go somewhere with a weaker signal and I would drop calls and it couldn't hold onto a 4G LTE signal even when other phones could.

At home I had a medium strenght signal 93-98 dBm .At work it was a weak signal 100-120 dBm.If I had a dropped called it was rare even at work.I cant remember if I ever had a dropped call or not forsure.
My stock battery life lasted me around 16-18 hrs,with medium use.Anything over 12 hrs worked for me.

DJBigBenVA

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Former Verizon GNex owner here too. I love my Moto X. I'm so glad I don't have to do any crazy hacking to get the latest version of Android. Why can't all OEM be like this?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

I was pretty much in the same boat. Now I have my Moto X and it's great where the GNex wasn't.

Posted via Android Central App

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Put me on the list! Loved my GNex but had to carry 2 extra batteries with me everywhere. My Moto X is much better.

Sent from my XT1060 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Put me on the list! Loved my GNex but had to carry 2 extra batteries with me everywhere. My Moto X is much better.
yeah, I know what you mean - I had 4 total batteries - 2 standard and 2 extended, but to use the extended I had to switch cases so it was a pain.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
If your GNex worked great, you must live where there is a strong signal!

I live in Chicago, and the LTE signal here is pretty strong. I did love my Galaxy Nexus--except for the battery. That was the only thing I hated about it. I was able to make it through a day most of the time, but I always felt nervous about it if I was going to spend the entire day outside.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I live in Chicago, and the LTE signal here is pretty strong. I did love my Galaxy Nexus--except for the battery. That was the only thing I hated about it. I was able to make it through a day most of the time, but I always felt nervous about it if I was going to spend the entire day outside.
I snagged a couple of those charger packs with the Today Show 50% off promo codes. They are nice to have around since the Moto X doesn't have a replaceable battery.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I could stretch mine out for a full day perfectly fine, but normal use for me was like 14-16 hours on LTE with no more than an hour of screen on time (with the "extended" battery). With that same screen on time, my Moto X easily lasts twice as long. That fact really puts the battery life of this thing in perspective for me. I'm already spoiled by it. I can't imagine how giddy Maxx users must be. Out of fun (and convenience) I bought a couple of these as stocking stuffers for myself and my fiance. Well, I started using mine a couple of weeks before Christmas. They are nothing special, but work well and I've yet to have to use it out and about anywhere with my Moto X. I really don't worry about running out of juice during the day anymore, but I keep charging sources handy as a force of habit. I've pretty much always used Samsung phones (at least in Android world) and battery life has never been their strong suit. My MX runs circles around my fiance's iPhone 4s, and hers will still last her for a full day. The difference is that she plugs in at 15% or so and I plug in at 30-35%.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Nor are their radios. Or their external speakers. Or their microphones. Nice screens though!
No kidding man! I checked in on my GPS thread on XDA the other day. It always gives me mixed feelings. It's cool that people are still out there using the original Galaxy S. It's not cool that Samsung never fixed the issue, and put out such shoddy hardware like that. I paid full price for my Vibrant too avoid contract on T-Mobile. I'll give that phone some credit. I cleaned it up, ROM'd it, shut off data and gave it to my mom to use. It's still going strong and lasts 5 or 6 days on a charge (easy when it's only used for phone calls and sits on EDGE).

I really like some of the newer stuff that Samsung is doing in the software department, but it's all just novelty to me. I'm glad that Motorola is going the direction that they are, because they and RIM have always rocked out in the radio/speaker phone department. Moto Blur, however, always kept me from wanting to touch one of their Android devices. Even though this thing was purchased on contract. All I can think about is how I paid $99 for a 32GB version and it's SO much more phone (for me) than any Samsung I've ever owned. And I really do like Samsung. Shoot, I've got two of their TV's and a couple other things laying around. :p