root friends evo4g

steelewise

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
cant say what your doing wrong, but you might wanna try unrevoked 3 its super easy to use one touch an your done... worked great for me

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Does unrevoked3 wipe out all of your apps, data, etc.? The only reason I want to root is to enable tethering, want to keep Sense and not interested at this time in any other custom roms or such. z4root looked like the best bet but its having problems with the latest EVO software.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Does unrevoked3 wipe out all of your apps, data, etc.? The only reason I want to root is to enable tethering, want to keep Sense and not interested at this time in any other custom roms or such. z4root looked like the best bet but its having problems with the latest EVO software.

z4root only works for a temp root. You can use that and the wifi app for tethering.

Unrevoked3 will not erase your current setup while it roots.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I've used z4root for about all of a week. I got a little taste of freedom. After that I went full root to release the full power of this awesome phone. Can't believe I've wasted a whole week.

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What you've read is wrong. Temp root and wireless tether work fine on 004 hardware with latest updates.

Except that its not. Have installed z4root. It says I am temporarily rooted but tether first gives error message that my kernal is not right. I can either exit or ignore. If ignore, it tries to turn on but says "unable to start tethering, is your device rooted?

Same problem being reported on the xda-developers pages:

[APP] z4root - Page 227 - xda-developers

issue going through the threads seemed to pop up with EVO software version 3.70.651.1

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
But, in any case, just did it through unrevoked3 anyway and working fine. Have to say there are a lot of well meaning people that are trying to help explain things that have no clue how to explain things. :)

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I'll check in with the guys using this setup tomorrow and see what they are running. I am pretty sure both are on 3.7...1. Only difference would be I set them up with a version of wt that was a version behind, not the market version.

Good to hear you got it worked out.

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I'll check in with the guys using this setup tomorrow and see what they are running. I am pretty sure both are on 3.7...1. Only difference would be I set them up with a version of wt that was a version behind, not the market version.

Good to hear you got it worked out.

Yeah, I tried every which way to make z4root work and never did. Not just with tether but other apps (like titanium and juice defender) would say I was not rooted even though z4root said I was.

Unrevoked worked eventually but, my goodness, some of the instructions for doing different things are hard to understand and get together. Working fine now but also had to download the Superuser app to get things to work well.

I think Android Central needs to hire someone to translate instructions from the smart tech people to other types. So many just assume you know something or have already done something or know you need to do something more without saying that or explaining.

One of my favorites was with setting up unrevoked. First of all many of the unrevoked help instructions didnt tell you how to set up the drivers that need to be loaded first. Then the page I found that did say how to set those up had the following great sentances: First sentance - "push the down on the volume button 4 times in order to select the...." Second sentance - "Be sure not to push any buttons until after you see on the screen that the SD card check has taken place" LOL. That's like "step one, throw hand grenade at enemy. step two, be sure to pull out pin before throwning hand grenade." oops...

Fortunatly, I DO read all of the instructions before starting on something (my wife said I should add: assuming I read the instructions at all). But most people don't. Also many instructions would leave you hanging at the end. Like, now what? Obviously something else needed to be done but that would not be explained. Also vary rarely in the instructions do you ever see, "and if this doesnt work, this is what you need to do to get things back to where they should be."

I used to help coach a high school Science Olympiad team. These kids were brilliant students but they had a hard time explaining in writing their results and the proceedures to somebody that had not been standing right next to them.

They even had a great event where one student would have to build some thing, say a little model chair, out of popsicle sticks and tape or string. Then they had to write down the instructions step by step for building it WITHOUT EVER SAYING IN THE INSTRUCTIONS WHAT IT WAS THAT WAS BEING BUILT. Then another student would have to try to build the thing using just the instructions without knowing what the finished thing was supposed to be or look like.

Not only were the results often hillarious, it was a great teaching tool on learning how to explain things without making assumptions about what someone else already knows.

I think the smarter you are with certain things, the harder it is for some to explain what to do to someone that does not have their smarts for that thing.

In all though, the Wireless Tethere is really great. Will make it very easy for me to get the cheaper wi-fi only tablet when I see one I like.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays