[ROOT?!!!] STUCK at bootloader!! [WUG]

NeoX12

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I did everything correctly.
I was installing drivers and even rebooted the pc 2x as required.
Now, i'm stuck at b1651902b17c51b24351aa28d5834f19.png
I get an error window when i clicked Full Driver Test after 'checking fastboot status'
I get this message: 3577c6a6548e6c7e87b95527f06879a3.png

PLEASE help me out here.
Really new. Got this phone 1 month back.
Dad's gonna kill me... =_=

What now?
Expert advice appreciated...

Btw, I did do the driver thing. But the device doesn't show up in my list.
Also, when i unplugged and replugged it in, I got "USB device not recognized"
.... Am I done for? =(

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If you have access to a different USB cable try it... Try different USB ports and/or a different computer if available....

NeoX12

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
If you have access to a different USB cable try it... Try different USB ports and/or a different computer if available....

Nope. Same old. USB device not recognized......
What now?
Am I missing something??
I only downloaded and executed Wug's toolkit. Didn't do anything else..

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I believe in the troubleshooting of Wugs there is links/information on how to manually install the drivers. Driver setup with the GNex for some reason seems to be a real PETA. No where as simple as my NS4G or other Samsung devices I've owned and rooted.

Other thing to do is first go into your Add/Remove Programs in Windows and remove/uninstall any Samsung related listed drivers.. Reboot and start all over with Wugs

NeoX12

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I believe in the troubleshooting of Wugs there is links/information on how to manually install the drivers. Driver setup with the GNex for some reason seems to be a real PETA. No where as simple as my NS4G or other Samsung devices I've owned and rooted.

Other thing to do is first go into your Add/Remove Programs in Windows and remove/uninstall any Samsung related listed drivers.. Reboot and start all over with Wugs

The bootloader menu was stuck so i took out the battery, waited for 10 secs, and then pressed the volume and power buttons for 2 secs. Then put the battery back on and now my phone functions fine. Even the drivers got auto installed. Good as new.
But I'll do a re-wug in a while then... How long does it take again? This whole rooting process?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
To unlock the device and install a custom recovery either manually or using Wugs takes minutes...

Then it's up to you what you want to do from there.. Run stock rooted or flash a custom ROM
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.2 using SwiftKey Flow :-D

NeoX12

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
To unlock the device and install a custom recovery either manually or using Wugs takes minutes...

Then it's up to you what you want to do from there.. Run stock rooted or flash a custom ROM

Never mind! Got root! :D
Also installed ROM manager premium.
But now, I want to flash a custom ROM... I'm looking for something that'll:

- Make battery life longer
- Make my phone faster
- No lags

Any suggestions? <3
Love A.C.

P.S I want to manually update to 4.2.1 before the ROM ... Think it'll be a good idea?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You can pick out any ROM that suits your needs or tastes, the KERNEL which you can download & flash separately is the key to maintaining battery life and speed.

Mosley's Lean Kernel is one that comes to mind when talking good battery and speed. I run it myself on my GNex.

As far as manually updating to 4.2.1, that isn't really going to matter as whatever ROM you flash will overwrite any version of OS that your on at the time of flashing. Simply, if the ROM you flash is based on Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.X or JellyBean 4.1.X then that is what your OS will be after the flash.

NeoX12

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
You can pick out any ROM that suits your needs or tastes, the KERNEL which you can download & flash separately is the key to maintaining battery life and speed.

Mosley's Lean Kernel is one that comes to mind when talking good battery and speed. I run it myself on my GNex.

As far as manually updating to 4.2.1, that isn't really going to matter as whatever ROM you flash will overwrite any version of OS that your on at the time of flashing. Simply, if the ROM you flash is based on Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.X or JellyBean 4.1.X then that is what your OS will be after the flash.

Oh okay.
Then can I have a link for the Mosley's Lean Kernel installation guide? Mine's 4.1.2 at the moment. It won't be degraded will it?
Also, do i flash cyanogenMod after the kernel update?
One more thing, will upgrading the kernal or flashing a mod, brick my phone by any chance?

Sorry for all the trouble

Btw, Since i'll be getting the new kernel, Do i have to underclock? If so, can you suggest a good range for my Gnex?
Ty bro! :) Really appreciate all this...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Oh okay.
Then can I have a link for the Mosley's Lean Kernel installation guide? Mine's 4.1.2 at the moment. It won't be degraded will it?
Also, do i flash cyanogenMod after the kernel update?
One more thing, will upgrading the kernal or flashing a mod, brick my phone by any chance?

Sorry for all the trouble

Btw, Since i'll be getting the new kernel, Do i have to underclock? If so, can you suggest a good range for my Gnex?
Ty bro! :) Really appreciate all this...

Don't I have to do a CWM before flashing the ROM?
So will getting the kernel automatically get me CWM?
Thanks!

And do i get the maguro version of cyanogen mod?

A setup I recommend for you would be the following...

1. If you rooted your device using WUG Toolkit then you will have the option in the toolkit to install either CWM or TWRP recovery. I highly recommend TWRP (TeamWin Recovery Project), but some still prefer CWM (ClockWorkMod).

2. Always make a backup from within your recovery either CWM/TWRP. Its normally referred to as a NANDROID BACKUP or SYSTEM BACKUP. Basically as the words imply its a complete backup/image of the device at the moment of backup. This is saved in a folder on your device in the event you need to restore back from problems or you just don't like something and want to go back.

3. My personal opinion is stay away from ROM Manager. I think its a split 50/50 on the community over ROM Manager or not. Another good program is called Goo Manager (Google Play Store). This program will give you many of the current popular ROMs available for YOUR specific device and you can download/flash the ROMs right from the program provided you already have a custom recovery installed (see above #1). This same program also will notify you of any updates to your ROM. Popular ROMs include CM, AOKP and many others.

4. Kernels you maybe able to find links here in the Galaxy Nexus forums or try the Verizon/Sprint Galaxy Nexus forums and you should find links to different kernel developers sites. Then just download the appropriate kernel (maguro) model.

5. Yes anything you download/install for your device should be listed as the MAGURO model if your using the GSM/HSPA+ model from Google.

6. Most custom kernels when installed/flashed are setup with their stock settings at the best mix of performance and battery life. If you feel it isn't good enough you can always under clock the kernel by using different kernel apps like SETCPU, Voltage Control, etc.. Many custom ROMs even have kernel control apps built into the custom settings under PERFORMANCE. Just make your changes in small increments so you don't freak the device out. Don't forget your running a Nexus device, which is almost near impossible to brick.. You can 99.9 % of the time restore a Nexus from even the worst situations.

Hope all this helps. Be careful, take things slow and enjoy.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If the recovery installed correctly you should be able to power off your device completely.

Next press and hold volume up +down then press power and hold. Then you will be brought to your boot loader screen.

Using your volume buttons to scroll select RECOVERY then press your power button and it should boot into your custom recovery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny