sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
For those of you that decided to root... How difficult was it? I'm on the fence about doing it. There seems to be so many more hoops to jump through now. The good old days of a simple root is gone. I'm just looking for some insight about whether it's worth it and if it was difficult to achieve. I really don't want to brick my device.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I've stopped rooting and mods on the Pixel phones.. I do sometimes see all the posts on XDA and it does not seem to be so hard but I just don't want to be bothered.. and the phone runs pretty solid on its own.. I can't think of many things that I would get a benefit from rooting the phone..

Reactions: Laura Knotek

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It was easy and I like it for a few apps and settings. I root all my phones.
I agree it shouldn't be very difficult, just a bit pointless and not worth the effort in my view.

I do main a Samsung, though. So I've got a lot more functionality without root than a Pixel.

It really does depend on your use though. If there's a specific app that you need root access for then it could be worth it.But I do think we're well past the days where rooting is worth doing just because you can.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I used to root all of my devices. Just because I could and I liked the customization of the roms out there. Not to mention it had it's moments of fun. Now... I'm just afraid to do it. I stepped away from Android for about 3 years, so much changed. I was using a fruit device that you can't do anything to. Once I came back, I was looking forward to the root access but I'm at a crossroads

Patches

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Rooting used to be the first thing I did, going back to Windows Mobile days, up until the first Pixel came out. Even then I thought about it, but no longer out of need. It was mostly just a fun hobby, which I still sometimes miss.

It's quite easy to do though, and not something to fear. Plenty of guides out there.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Rooting used to be the first thing I did, going back to Windows Mobile days, up until the first Pixel came out. Even then I thought about it, but no longer out of need. It was mostly just a fun hobby, which I still sometimes miss.

It's quite easy to do though, and not something to fear. Plenty of guides out there.
Yeah. I felt the same way. I enjoyed doing it. The fact that I had a new phone every few months and liked to root them all says it was a hobby. I miss the days, but don't see the point anymore. Maybe I just got old and don't want to start over with a full wipe