Rooted.....now what?

caverman

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
So I'm new to android and just got a Galaxy S3 a few days back. Did a bunch of reading and managed to root the phone and make an nandroid back (which I've got a copy on my external SD card and copied to my PC). That was my main reason for rooting....getting a backup.

So now what? Any recommendations on what I should do? Any cool things that people are doing? Maybe some apps I should get rid off that came from AT&T? Thought I read somewhere about freezing some of those apps. Can someone give me more insight on that.

Thanks......

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So I'm new to android and just got a Galaxy S3 a few days back. Did a bunch of reading and managed to root the phone and make an nandroid back (which I've got a copy on my external SD card and copied to my PC). That was my main reason for rooting....getting a backup.

So now what? Any recommendations on what I should do? Any cool things that people are doing? Maybe some apps I should get rid off that came from AT&T? Thought I read somewhere about freezing some of those apps. Can someone give me more insight on that.

Thanks......

Welcome to the forums!
You had a very good reason to root. Now that you have, get Titanium Backup and that will allow you to freeze bloatware. You will need to turn on USB Debugging. Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging.

Some apps have more options once you are rooted, like Clean Master, and Some other apps like Titanium can only be used with root, like Light Manager.

Other than that, you are free to flash a custom recovery, and flash custom ROMs.

caverman

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.....

Will I need the paid version of Titanium in order to freeze the bloatware? By freezing it does that mean that I just won't receive any updates for the apps any more?

This might be more of a separate question but I was thinking about it last night. Now that I have an nandroid backup, if I were to upgrade to say an S4 or whatever the latest might be next year (I'll be eligible for an upgrade in a year) would I be able to use that nandroid to be able to restore it back to my setup that I have on the S3? I'm guessing I would have to root the phone first though. I might be a little more skeptical to do that on a brand new phone that is under warranty.

Coming from iOS I will say that having iTunes back up and be able to restore a new phone was super easy. I will have to give iOS kudos for that one.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.....

Will I need the paid version of Titanium in order to freeze the bloatware? By freezing it does that mean that I just won't receive any updates for the apps any more?

This might be more of a separate question but I was thinking about it last night. Now that I have an nandroid backup, if I were to upgrade to say an S4 or whatever the latest might be next year (I'll be eligible for an upgrade in a year) would I be able to use that nandroid to be able to restore it back to my setup that I have on the S3? I'm guessing I would have to root the phone first though. I might be a little more skeptical to do that on a brand new phone that is under warranty.

Coming from iOS I will say that having iTunes back up and be able to restore a new phone was super easy. I will have to give iOS kudos for that one.

The paid titanium app unlocks a few more things. That's all. You can freeze without it. But it's cheap, so I got it.

Nandroid backups are like ROMs. You don't want to flash a ROM for unmatching devices.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

caverman

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

So would Titanium be able to restore to a new phone if I were to upgrade to an S4 (or S5 if it comes out)? Or, with a new phone I would pretty much start over with downloading apps and syncing my Google contacts?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

So would Titanium be able to restore to a new phone if I were to upgrade to an S4 (or S5 if it comes out)? Or, with a new phone I would pretty much start over with downloading apps and syncing my Google contacts?

I don't think so. Some of that data may be device specific.
As far as I know, when you get a new phone, you pretty much start all over with apps and such, aside from contacts and Google data.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

caverman

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hmm....that sucks.

Well again, have to give kudos to iOS on that one. When I would upgrade to a new iPhone I would just plug it into iTunes and click restore. I would put everything from wallpapers, to ringtones, to apps and their data, to text all on the new phone.

At least I know what I'll be getting myself into when I upgrade so it won't be a shocker at the time.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm....that sucks.

Well again, have to give kudos to iOS on that one. When I would upgrade to a new iPhone I would just plug it into iTunes and click restore. I would put everything from wallpapers, to ringtones, to apps and their data, to text all on the new phone.

At least I know what I'll be getting myself into when I upgrade so it won't be a shocker at the time.

Like I said, Google data will transfer. Also with as many manufacturers that make devices and all of them have a twist on ROMs, it can be difficult to make them coexist.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
This is incorrect
You can use Titanium Backup (TIBU) to restore to different phones and different versions of Android. .

That's how I moved all my apps and data from my HTC aria to my Atrix., from my Atrix to my S2 and from my S2 to my S4..

Just restore apps and data and NEVER NEVER restore system files (including mail, camera, calculator oddly enough).

So, when I change roms, I first do a nandroid backup in case it fails. Then I do a TIBU back up of myapps. ..getting ready for the change.
Then I backup up my Nova launcher setup (I use nova as my launcher. .try it)

Next I download the new rom (and gaaps if needed) to my download directory.

Then I reboot, clear cache, clear dakvik, factory reset, flash the new rom, (and gaaps of needed) and reboot. .
Wait .... quite a while. ..till my phone starts

Go to play: Re-download TIBu
Use Tibu to restore my apps (no system files or system apps).

Then restore my Nova launcher desktop ...
and after all this my phone looks exactly the same as I had it before, ...
except with a brand new rom!!!...

total time to do this might be 40 minutes or an hour is things go s slowly..

Tibu is a great backup resource for that reason. it does freeze apps & that's good, but sometimes you may want to use an app that you froze. .Tibu would make you unfreeze it.

So Another solution for rooted users is to use (free) greenify which "hybernates" apps meaning that when you don't use them, they sleep and stay asleep, but when you need them, they come instantly awake and work. ..

Root opens your phone to many customizations and is better than not rooting.

Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
One caveat to this is that you can't take propietary apps and run them on other company's phones (well actually you sometimes can, but for the basic example. No)
So If you want to move htc sense to a Samsung phone it wI'll move but not work. Ifv you try to run Samsung touch wiz apps onv some custom c roms they won't run..
However, all your working apps like YouTube word processors etc will go fine. *(Oh v some music apos are rom specific too. .so don't be surprised if you flash a custom rom and they have/ use a different music app from what you expected. (And talking about music. . Music play lists don't transfer over between roms easily. .. workarounds for that are more than what this post covers..)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjogi3777