Rooted. Or not rooted?

Jay Hopkins

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Alright. So I have a note 3. Model SM N900A. Running 4.4.2. I purchased it outright unlocked from Aarons rent to own new in box.

First thing I usually do is update the OS. And clean bloat ware.

Well.....I can't update. When I enter "about device" there is NO check for updates tab. No update tab no anything.

That's weird occurrence #1.

Weird #2 I tried to update through smart switch. Well smart switch tells me I can't update it as well, gives no reason either.

Weird #3. I use tmobile. Well their software has a device health tab that gives you alerts. Well mine says that my phone is rooted. Odd....

So I try to download titanium backup. No root access. But according to tmobil...it's rooted.

Anyone have any idea what the hell is wrong with this??

IT_Architect

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Alright. So I have a note 3. Model SM N900A. Running 4.4.2. I purchased it outright unlocked from Aarons rent to own new in box. First thing I usually do is update the OS. And clean bloat ware.
If you have one with 4.4.2, I would root it and disable OS updates. What does your knox counter say? Without root there are great apps that you cannot run, the material environment is less attractive and less capable, and the newer OSes are incompatible with a lot of software. 4.4.2 on a Note 3 is gold. The only reason I would want to unroot and run the latest OS is if I were using something like Apple Pay or if my company forced it for secure app reasons.

Jay Hopkins

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
If you have one with 4.4.2, I would root it and disable OS updates. What does your knox counter say? Without root there are great apps that you cannot run, the material environment is less attractive and less capable, and the newer OSes are incompatible with a lot of software. 4.4.2 on a Note 3 is gold. The only reason I would want to unroot and run the latest OS is if I were using something like Apple Pay or if my company forced it for secure app reasons.

The problem is Knox says my device isn't rooted. But i do not have upgrade capability, while other software won't let me do anything because it states my device is rooted.

Honestly I don't know whether it's rooted or not. Is there any sure fire way to check? I have 4 or 5 things saying it's rooted while others are telling me it's not or it cannot be rooted to begin with lol