rooting is it worth it

Soundman72

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Not so worried about the warranty as you can reload things if need be.

To be honest I'm sick of my mobile phone provider taking there time updating things and lying to me.

So rather update my phone myself

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Rooting seems that it likely serves absolutely no purpose to you.

If all you want to do is install different software, you want to unlock the bootloader and flash a different ROM, which doesn't require root.

Rooting is 100% pointless for everyone that doesn't have a lot of knowledge about what it is, what it does, how to do it and how to fix it if things go poorly. It's also 100% useless for everyone that doesn't have an explicit purpose to doing so and also to everyone who doesn't understand the security issued it introduces and how to best mitigate the risks.

Soundman72

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the response can I suggest that you rain things in a little I asked a question and you treated me like I know nothong.

As someone who has worked in IT I am aware of security issues and the things that can go wrong.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If you're asking if you should root, you shouldn't. If you're asking whether or not you should root when what you really want to do is flash a ROM, you definitely shouldn't. Both of those prompted my statement that rooting will not do you any good. Because it is impossible for rooting to help what you're looking for.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
If you're asking if you should root, you shouldn't. If you're asking whether or not you should root when what you really want to do is flash a ROM, you definitely shouldn't. Both of those prompted my statement that rooting will not do you any good. Because it is impossible for rooting to help what you're looking for.

The only time rooting will help you with flashing a custom firmware is when you cannot unlock the bootloader through normal means and the exploit to accomplish this requires root access. The Verizon LG G3 is the perfect example of this.

GrumpyPadre

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
After seeing the hostile responses soundman72 received for asking a simple question I have determined this is a site I don't want to be part of.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Samsung's line of devices can be a tough nut to crack when it comes to rooting/flashing ROMs. Some of the carriers can make this more difficult (looking at you, Verizon and AT&T). Bootloaders are encrypted, making installing a custom recovery (quite possibly the keystone to attaining root, let alone flashing a ROM) nearly impossible.

If this were a Nexus/Pixel, I would say go for it. Samsung I am a little more hesitant to say yes.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
After seeing the hostile responses soundman72 received for asking a simple question I have determined this is a site I don't want to be part of.

What hostile responses? Rooting your device is potentially very detrimental to both your device and potentially to your personal life if you don't know what you're doing. It is a simple fact that if you ask, "should I root" or "is it worth it" or questions like that, then no - you absolutely should not be rooting. Providing someone with correct cautionary context can hardly be considered hostile.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I do not recommend rooting if you're using it as a daily driver and if you're wondering if it'll break your device.

Rooting is only for those who know what they're doing, understand the risks and know how to recover should something catastrophically fail. And honestly, most new Androids don't really require rooting as much of the bloat can be ignored or disabled.

Also note that rooting can trip SafetyNet, causing you to lose access to apps like Android Pay. Not as big a deal on the S7 as it has Samsung Pay, but also note that a few apps do use this API.

mwTTron

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I just got an S7 Edge, came from S5 which required Root to remove bloatware, install a new dialer (Via System), etc.
I have read somewhere about 'Package Uninstaller' removes bloatware without root?
Be frank, LOL I am not a snowflake! lol
thanks in advance!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just got an S7 Edge, came from S5 which required Root to remove bloatware, install a new dialer (Via System), etc.
I have read somewhere about 'Package Uninstaller' removes bloatware without root?
Be frank, LOL I am not a snowflake! lol
thanks in advance!
Package Disabler, as I recall. I have it on my Note 5. Works pretty well.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
People have been rooting phones for a while now. A general Google search asking, "What is rooting in Android?" would yield instant results explaining what it is and its benefits. From there, the OP could determine if it is "worth it".

This reminds me of how I went to a VW Passat forum and asked if it's worth it to flash the ecu in my car. All I wanted was a little more power. An experienced user chimed in and convinced me that flashing wasn't for me if I wasn't up to speed on how to add a diverter valve and making other adjustments to handle the power.

In a nutshell, I was saved from making the mistake of getting the ECU flashed because of my lack of knowledge.

I might be wrong...but I'm pretty sure that's what went down here.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
People have been rooting phones for a while now. A general Google search asking, "What is rooting in Android?" would yield instant results explaining what it is and its benefits. From there, the OP could determine if it is "worth it".

This reminds me of how I went to a VW Passat forum and asked if it's worth it to flash the ecu in my car. All I wanted was a little more power. An experienced user chimed in and convinced me that flashing wasn't for me if I wasn't up to speed on how to add a diverter valve and making other adjustments to handle the power.

In a nutshell, I was saved from making the mistake of getting the ECU flashed because of my lack of knowledge.

I might be wrong...but I'm pretty sure that's what went down here.
I'm pretty sure that the same thing yes.

Epwhamilton

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes, back in the day when I had an Galaxy S3 I had a lot of fun rooting. however now the hateful TouchWiz is a thing of the past I've come to conclusion that it is too much trouble to pick it apart. it's a good device so just enjoy it!

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
There's a lot of risk to rooting your phone, whether you know what you're doing or not. The last phone I rooted was the Samsung Galaxy S2. . . which was awesome for awhile until I fried the motherboard. With the way Samsung has been improving, I don't think it's necessary for a novice to do any rooting.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haroonseo