Rooting Q's

bk11

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
im new to android as well as this site. I switched to an Evo from my crappy palm pixi. I have some questions about rooting. I plan on using unrevoked 3 to root my phone. I am basically doing it to get the free wifi hotspot. The questions i have are:
If I root with unrevoked 3, what happens when there is and OTA update for the phone? can I install the update or do i have to un-root my phone to install it?

If i use unrevoked 3, can I install the cyanogen 6 rom?

is there any way i can get my lock screen to be one of those combinations that you draw a pattern to unlock :D ?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If you root, with any method, it's never a good idea to get a Sprint / HTC update. The rooted version of the update comes out usually before or right after the official release.

If you just want the wifi tether it's a pretty easy process.

If you want to install a custom rom (cm6/7) it's easy as well using an app called rom manager. Then yes you can get those cool CM lock screens but I think you can just get the unlock pattern ones on the stock rom as well.

dany8907

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
You can also temp root your phone if you only want to use wireless tether. It temperaily roots your phone until you reboot, then its back to stock.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
If you have rooted your phone and run an OTA update you will lose your root access. As others have mentioned, you can typically get the OTA ROM with root access before the OTA goes live. It's up to you. Using Unrevoked to gain root is a simple method, so if you do run the OTA it's a pretty simple process to just run the Unrevoked root method again. This is a slightly more cumbersome process when you root the manual way.

Welcome to the EVO-lution, by the way, and to AC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DocBones69