Rooting Questions (why root -- not how to)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jballer8

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I don't know if you can talk about rooting here or not -- this is more about the perks of rooting then how to though...

I have not rooted a phone since the Galaxy Nexus....

Back then I could still receive OTAs but it looks like this has changed? I am receiving my nexus 6P today and am wondering if I should root or not?

The main reason I rooted before was to get tethering... I've used Foxfi on my Note3 (current phone) for that and only use it sporadically since I am always around wifi unless going on a road trip. I do also have unlimited data on Verizon so I should stick it to them as long as I can though... ;p

So my questions...

1. Do I have to re-root and install images manually now instead of getting OTAs
2. Does the re-root process mean I have to re-configure everything? -- Do I lose any data?
3. What are some of the main reasons for rooting now?
4. Does Google handle the OTAs or does it still go through Verizon meaning I still have to wait forever to get them?

Thanks!

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Last question first, OTAs are from Google, Verizon is out of the loop which is great news for anyone who had a Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
There isn't much reason to root the 6P, unlike the Galaxy Nexus where it was practically mandatory because of the lack of support from Samsung and Verizon's interference with the few updates that Samsung actually produced. After the Galaxy Nexus fiasco Google took over the update process so you now get them in a more timely manner although I usually just download them and install them because Google takes a painfully long time to distribute OTAs.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

The one feature that you can enable on the 6P that might make rooting worthwhile is split windows, the tradeoff is that Android pay is disabled on rooted devices. I'm not sure if OTAs are disabled on rooted devices, I've never had the patience to wait for an OTA.

jballer8

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for a response!

I heard I can tether on verizon now without root? How can I do this? Also how long do OTAs take for google? Is this like 1-2 weeks later or is this verizon status of 1-2+months later?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Since Android 5, if a phone is rooted, OTA updates will not install anymore. The only way to do it is to sideload it.

With the Nexus, you need to unlock the bootloader then load custom recovery the root. This is the method that I remember seeing when I first got the 6P but I rarely follow up on rooting since this is my first Android that I havent rooted. I don't feel the need anymore.

Nexus 6P

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
As long has you have a limited data plan hotspot works on Verizon out of the box. With grandfathered unlimited plans the rumor is that hotspots don't work unless you pay them the extra fee or you root your device. There have been threads on this but I haven't seen a definitive answer. I have a 3G plan and hotspot works.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
one other feature that rooting will allow is double tap to wake ... as much as I'd love that feature, personally it's just not worth rooting anymore. Used to be mandatory, for me not so much anymore.

quorky

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't mean to hijack but I am in the same boat as the OP. In my case I need blackberry hub and the only way to "install" it as a system application is with root access.

Does rooting mark anything permanently? Meaning, can I root/unroot the phone and they will be identical (meaning tripping a feature like in Samsung knox). Does it void the warranty?

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Don't mean to hijack but I am in the same boat as the OP. In my case I need blackberry hub and the only way to "install" it as a system application is with root access.

Does rooting mark anything permanently? Meaning, can I root/unroot the phone and they will be identical (meaning tripping a feature like in Samsung knox). Does it void the warranty?

It does trip something, but it does not void the warranty, since Google supplies the instructions for rooting. Just remember you won't be getting OTA updates, so you'll have to sideload them.

quorky

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
It does trip something, but it does not void the warranty, since Google supplies the instructions for rooting. Just remember you won't be getting OTA updates, so you'll have to sideload them.

Thanks. I don't mind sideloading OS updates. Appreciate the reply.

jballer8

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
FYI -- I ended up just unlocking the bootloader for now. This way if I decide to root in the future I can without having to worry about wiping my data.

quorky

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
FYI -- I ended up just unlocking the bootloader for now. This way if I decide to root in the future I can without having to worry about wiping my data.

I love putting on new little roms on the device - different take on the interpretation of launchers. Something to think about and maybe try out.

Status
Not open for further replies.