Rooting the Verizon Note 2

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I just want to add that without root, my desire to own this phone goes down dramatically. Don't get me wrong. I'm absolutely a fan of the hardware, pen, and screen size. What I am not a fan of is touchwiz and forced bloat apps. There are many little things I don't like about the skin that installing Nova only partially addresses. Bottom line is, if I could put a stock ROM of 4.1.2 on this phone and retain the pen functionality/apps, then I would be in phone heaven.

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.

Without TW you lose like 90% of the functionality of this phone don't you? I know everyone's down on TW but honestly as long as I can remove the bloat I'm cool. I just want root so I can clear off all the Verizon / Samsung bloat.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
As a new android user of all 4 days, do you mean "tech geeks" will work on finding a way to root it? I assume its the same process and testing procedures as jailbreaking an iphone?

Rooting an Android phone is different for almost every phone. So the techniques change from phone to phone. Some methods do work on multiple handsets but the norm is to have to find a new way to root the phone. Samsung phones are almost always rooted/unlocked via ODIN.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Via ODIN makes no sense to me but obviously it will soon. Yes, I would like to remove the ample crap apps to make some new room so I am excited for this root process. The fear of bricking it unlike jailbreaking (inability to brick it) is scary though as a noob.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Via ODIN makes no sense to me but obviously it will soon. Yes, I would like to remove the ample crap apps to make some new room so I am excited for this root process. The fear of bricking it unlike jailbreaking (inability to brick it) is scary though as a noob.

Bricking a phone via ODIN is ridiculously rare. ODIN re-writes an entire partition on the phone via an image file. Usually by the time we get the images, there are stock ones that you can back out to as well. So yeah it's hard to brick a phone with ODIN. The long and the short of it is that we have two hurdles to cross, unlocking and rooting. We can get one without the other. The unlocking is more important in the grand scheme.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
the only risky things you can do on a phone are flash a new radio and unlock the bootloader

99% of the time if something goes wrong while doing something else there is a way to recover

but if something goes wrong while doing one of the two things above, well, then you might be screwed

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
makes total sense. I assume once the procedure has been tested and works out well the instructions are fairly easy to follow for not a experience Android person.??

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
makes total sense. I assume once the procedure has been tested and works out well the instructions are fairly easy to follow for not a experience Android person.??

sometimes a program gets released that does it all in one click
so if you are really new to android, all you have to do is plug your phone into your computer, launch a program, and click root

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have a "walk-through" tutorial for people that have never rooted? Like wth is ODIN?

Yeah, I'm a moron when it comes to this.

mccabegc

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure we will be flooded with videos and walkthroughs for the root process once it is complete. ODIN is super easy to use though! Judging by the posts i have been seeing around, I could see root being accomplished by tonight or tomorrow....HOPEFULLY

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have a "walk-through" tutorial for people that have never rooted? Like wth is ODIN?

Yeah, I'm a moron when it comes to this.

As soon as its available ill write one up. I have done tons of these for the fascinate and droid charge.

Odin is Samsung software that will overwrite a partion on your phone and add whatever coding you provide.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Here is an example of how to use ODIN starting at 4:00 to 4:45... Obviously please dont try this as it is for a completely different phone

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Head on over to XDA guys....DroidStyle and MrRobinson have a root method posted.

Yeah I saw that. Ill wait a bit before I start posting how to's and stuff while they work it out. The thing is at this point there is no way of going back to stock using Odin so a mistake could leave people with a huge paper weight

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Awesome!
That means I can keep it, though I will wait for it to become more stable.
Currently signal bars not working, multiview completely gone, but blocking mode is there.

Tari

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Glad to see a root method is available already, but yeah, going to sit on it until there's a more stable version out.