S10 -> iPhone 11 ; Goodbye Android

Tony Vargas

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
What would it take me to switch? If iPhone had a built in stylus with features like the Note's SPen, ability to install launchers and customize the interface, custom ringtones, ability to sideload older apps, used microSD cards and fast wireless charging. Also want the ability to connect and transfer data to my computer without special software.

ulaganathk

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I have both. Love each. Each has its own quarks.
Recently switched from Google Photos to Amazon.
With a Mac you can export files and photos between platforms, import from Galaxy and iPhone for all your stuff. Take your secco from the S10 and use an adapter on the Mac or, you can now use external storage with usbc to lightning on the iPhone.

On the last part can you please confirm the type c to lighting can mount ssd not mechanical hdd though

EJ1

Dec 17, 2019
Visit site
Love the quality of iPhone handsets and the camera, but that is all. I am very particular about my apps: I want a keyboard with a numeric keypad I want a calender that suits me. I want an alarm clock that auto dismisses while I am in the shower and does not ring for 6 hours if I am not there to switch it off. I want my home screen to be attractive with a weather widget to show the weather, date and time and another to show my calendar events for the day. If there is a feature I want, it might take a while and trying lots of apps, but I will very likely find it. I love the flexibility in that.

taino211

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I can understand what you are saying. My brother has an iPhone and absolutely loves it-I do not think he will ever go back to Android. It just works and does what he needs it to, especially for his job.

My in-laws and almost all of my husband's extended family has iPhones (minus two people, and him and I make four). Sometimes, you really do need that continuity with group chats and iMessage. It helps make life simpler. We use Facebook Messenger (and sometimes WhatsApp) so we all get the same messages.

It all boils down to whatever works best for you. If you need FaceTime and iMessage, then that's what you need to do! The iPhone 11 also looks pretty sick. Enjoy!

I just don't understand everyone's reliance on iMessage. Besides the GamePigeon integration, it loses to WhatsApp in every conceivable metric. If iPhone users installed WhatsApp, they'd be surprised as to how many of the people in their Contacts also have it installed.

sghulyani

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Interesting discussion! After using both Android and iOS for a considerable amount of time, I think it makes sense for me to join in the discussion as well. Following are a few differences which I noticed in iOS and prefer android over iOS:

Calling
For an incoming call while you are using the iPhone, the caller screen takes up the entire screen and you can no longer finish what you were doing. Moreover, the Answer and Reject buttons are at such a position that you tend to answer/reject the call mistakenly. Has happened to me so many times!
In android, the incoming call screen takes up only the top 10-15% of the screen size and allows you to finish off whatever you were doing before answering or rejecting the call.

Home Screen (iOS)
No customisation. Widgets on a single page, icons start from top left of the screen.

Ringtones (IOS)
Again, a pain to set your custom ringtone.

File Transfer
You can use an android as a USB drive to store data while on the go.

Contacts
Ever tried to delete multiple contacts together in an iPhone? Why do you need to press 4-5 buttons to delete a single contact!

File sharing menu - is just a breeze on Android.

Camera settings - Why do we need to go the phone settings and then the camera app to change a setting related to camera? (some improvement atleast in this department after ios13.

No call recording, no automatic expense tracking etc are a few more missing features in iOS.

dendron01

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Visit site
I just don't understand everyone's reliance on iMessage. Besides the GamePigeon integration, it loses to WhatsApp in every conceivable metric. If iPhone users installed WhatsApp, they'd be surprised as to how many of the people in their Contacts also have it installed.
Every conceivable metric except WhatsApp is practically unknown within iPhone's most important market: USA.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
So now the original poster dislikes the iPhone 11?

S10 > iPhone 11 (in my opinion).

I actually liked the phone and was getting used to the differences in the operating system. Going back to my s10 and ta s5e in the last 24 hours has been weird. It is interesting how quickly I got acclimated to navigating ios. In some ways I like it better but in some ways I still like Android better. It is a mixed bag. No matter how much I might like ios, if it doesn't fully integrate with my car via carplay I can't use it. I have gotten spoiled by 2+ years of Android Auto and the absolute convenience it provides and added safety when I am driving - and I drive a lot for work and on my own time. I can't change my car easily or cheaply, but I can change my phone.

Another update (as of evening 12/17/19). The guy at the genius bar talked through my problems with me. He had me go back out to my car to try a specific setting when plugging in my phone. Didn't work and I came back into the store. He did a full wipe of my phone and did NOT log me back into my account when it rebooted. His thought was that maybe something got corrupted in my iCloud backup (wifi settings, saved passwords, contacts information, who knows).

So, if it using the "blank" phone worked then he would work with me to restore minimum items from iCloud to figure it out. He also pointed out that my work-provided iPhone 8 would be another way to see if it is my iPhone 11 or a possible issue with the Honda infotainment system. Duh, I never thought of doing that. I went back out to the car and the "blank" iPhone 11 did not bring up Apple carplay and neither did my work-provided iPhone 8.

Sooo, I need to drop off my car at the Honda dealer to have them run whatever diagnostic they will run on the infotainment system. Scheduling right now sucks the week before Christmas, and we are heading out of town 2 days after Christmas for a week. Sooo, looks like I'm back on the galaxy s10 until at least January. My prediction is that Honda blames it on Apple, which I won't be able to refute, and I'll be selling the iphone 11 and ipad air on ebay within the month. This has been an interesting lesson in not falling for the urban myth of Apple's greatness. Lesson learned the expensive way too.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
My prediction is that Honda blames it on Apple, which I won't be able to refute, and I'll be selling the iphone 11 and ipad air on ebay within the month.
What about keeping the iPad and using the S10's mobile hotspot to use the iPad for FaceTime and iMessage?

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Agreed, I won't buy a car without both Carplay and Android Auto--never mind that I don't care about Carplay. It's the principle of the thing.

The lowliest of VW and Kia cars all have both. But Toyota still balks. Go figure.

Nowadays, it's a no brainer. (And I love my VW cars, now that I've discovered them...)

afallingstone

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I moved to iOS this year after having issues with the pixel 3 gps. Google wouldn't replace it so I switched. I've been an Android user since the HTC hero. I've owned almost every Nexus and have had every pixel.

Im just getting burned out on getting new phones every year. Nothing's really changing anymore and they're getting expensive.

What's keeping me on iOS is the watch. I really like apple watch better than Android Wear. The battery life on iphone is SOO much better and any of the Nexus or pixel devices I've had. iMessage is great!

But, I wouldn't say it's all perfect. iOS has lots of glitches, mostly with layout and the keyboard. I really don't like the folders, it makes it hard to find apps I don't use often. Siri sucks compared to g assistant. The all in apple apps for everything blows, like opening a link does it in safari rather than chrome.

I might come back to Android in a few years. But something cool needs to happen and waving my hand above the phone is not it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

That's true - WhatsApp is a very intuitive and awesome app.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I always have Samsung and iPhones. And it takes getting use to each. iOS pages System, social media, and folders for Utilities, Office, Finance, Photos, Media - works for me.

One think I learned this week, on iOS and Android 10, web site links usually coming from Twitter, now Forced Ask to open in Chrome or Safari, or native app (Reddit, CBS, etc). They've found a new foothold and there is no way to close - close tab or click on Reader View seems to work.
Bypasses defaults, happens in Edge, Samsung Internet.. in Safari I just force web pages to always open in Reader View.
Chrome I keep disabled but that doesn't help. Never used Reddit.

I'd have assumed it was just Android until today.

Annoying as all !@@# 20191218_100504.jpeg

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So I've been an Android guy forever. Droids ->Nexus 5-->Nexus 6p-->Note 7 (2 weeks!)-->s8-->s9+-->s10 ----->>iPhone11. I've had multiple Android tablets (s5e most recent) and a few ipads over the years for work. Switched to the iPhone a month ago because my 17 yr old son will be going away to college next year and my 14 yr old daughter just switched to a 6s from her Androids. Wife is still rocking s9+ while the rest of the extended fam has always been on iPhones. Everyone else I know is on iPhones except the IT guys at work (lol!). I know my wife will want to be able to facetime with our son when he is gone away to college in a year, so I made the switch now to get a head start and be in on the family group chats when we go on a cruise 2 days after Christmas this year. Last time my wife and I got left out of a handful of group chats because iMessage.

I went all in by getting the iPhone 11 128 GB, a current iPad air 64 GB and airpods pro. Some observations to those considering the switch from Android.

Motorola DROID, Motorola DROID Bionic, Motorola Moto X, Motorola X Pure Edition, Motorola Moto Z Force Droid, and Motorola Moto Z2 Play were all at one point my daily driver. I moved from a Motorola Moto Z2 Play to the iPhone XR (though I do switch back to Android with the Moto Z4 once in awhile). FaceTime from my iPhone XR with my son's cellular iPad mini 4 has been great. I'll be switching my wife over back to iPhone from the Pixel 2 XL once her Device Payment Plan is over (arg Bill Credits!).

THE BAD
Contacts: Moving from Android is hell. The apple app to transfer stuff (download from Google Play store) moved all of my contacts including my 1,300 work contacts into my iphone directly. I had to download an app onto the iPhone to be able to select all of my contacts to delete them at once and then selectively keep my 20 or so personal contacts to keep on the iphone. I then separately logged into my work account to keep those separate. Ironically a few days later I was given a separate work iphone so then deleted the work account anyway.

Because all my contacts are with Google, this proved dead simple. Just made sure my contacts.google.com was clean then sync my Google account with my new iPhone and everything was there.

THE BAD
Photos: Also, the app moved all of the pictures ONLY from my s10, which only had about 1 years worth of pictures from the camera roll. And they seemed to be out of chronological order, so I then deleted everything from the iphone camera roll. If you use Google photos as your primary photo backup method you won't be able to import those to your iphone camera roll, but that is fine because Google photos syncs just fine with the iphone camera roll too. And it eats up less of your icloud storage (UGH) that way.

As a Google Photos user, I didn't need any photo migration. I just had to log into the Google Photos app with my Google account.

THE BAD
Home Screen: The way your app icons fill in from the top on down is really super aggravating. If I want a certain app to be within easy reach of my thumb and therefore on the right side of the screen, I need to fiddle with rearranging the apps so they keep pushing other apps on over/down a slot. Can't just put an app in a spot and have it stay. I hope apple gives us the option to do that some day because it is a pain. Also having to long-press to get them wiggling just so you can move them or delete them is a pain too. I spent hours downloading/logging back into my many apps that require a log-in. Like 8-ish hours. And not being able to change the swipe left to see the useless list of notifications (or whatever they are) also sucks. I have no use for that screen. This was the biggest pain about moving from Android and is still annoying.

I never got too deep into home screen customization with my Android devices. I found I spent more times in apps than I did looking at my home screen. My Android home screen was pretty basic with a Favorites, Social Media, Messaging, and Entertainment folder - everything else in the App Drawer. With iPhone, I just have more folders. Like with my Android setup, I don't even have to swipe to different home screens since all my iPhone apps are in folders.

iOS's home screen limitations also keep me from cluttering my phone with apps that I really don't need.

THE BAD
Storage: To have your settings, including stored passwords and downloaded apps, backup up for safety and future phone upgrades you need to use iCloud storage. The free amount is a joke and I had to upgrade to the $0.99 monthly upgrade to 50GB. When my wife moves over we will probably pay for the shared family storage and 1TB at $10/month. BS as far as I'm concerned, but if it makes upgrading easier than fine.

Photos and videos from the camera are the largest group of files taking up space on my device. Since I'm a Google Photos user, on-device space is minimized with backup. Almost everything I do on my device is on an account that syncs to a cloud so iCloud storage is irrelevant to me.

THE BAD
iTunes: To change your ring tone to something custom, you either need to download an app (which costs $$) or use iTunes to move the file onto your phone by plugging it into your PC. This was 4 hours of absolute hell for me. I simply wanted to make an mps file (clip of a song I like) my ringtone, which has been the ringtone on my last 2 android phones. I'm still not sure how I got it to work, but it was only after finding an online conversion site (google zamzar mp3 to m4r) that it finally worked. Online tutorials and videos didn't help. iTunes is the absolute worst and must be killed off for the good of everyone. Even lifetime iPhone users at work can't figure it out and hate it.

I used to do this. I was the ringtone guy. But this was WAAAY back before Android. I haven't added custom ringtones to any of my devices in generations now. I might add a few new Alert tones (Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Communicator beeps) but for the most part, I'm over that part of customization. Back when my wife was on iPhone, I found it dead simple to clip an MP3, convert it to an M4A, rename it to M4R and sync it via iTunes. I have no idea if that process is any different on newer versions of iOS though.

THE BAD
Misc: Siri generally sucks, providing web listings for most questions you ask instead of answers. It will set a timer, call someone, or tell you the forecast. But most odd questions you can get a verbal answer from Google give you web results in Siri. Most decent apps either cost you a 1-time purchase, or more annoyingly monthly/annual subscriptions. The subscription thing is more annoying, and more apps seem to be going that way. Between this and video streaming services you can by subscribed into bankruptcy quickly.

Siri sucks. But I don't even use it on my iPhone. I've got a Google Assistant shortcut that I'll swipe to.

And paying for apps? Developers have to eat too.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I actually liked the phone and was getting used to the differences in the operating system. Going back to my s10 and ta s5e in the last 24 hours has been weird. It is interesting how quickly I got acclimated to navigating ios. In some ways I like it better but in some ways I still like Android better. It is a mixed bag. No matter how much I might like ios, if it doesn't fully integrate with my car via carplay I can't use it. I have gotten spoiled by 2+ years of Android Auto and the absolute convenience it provides and added safety when I am driving - and I drive a lot for work and on my own time. I can't change my car easily or cheaply, but I can change my phone.

Another update (as of evening 12/17/19). The guy at the genius bar talked through my problems with me. He had me go back out to my car to try a specific setting when plugging in my phone. Didn't work and I came back into the store. He did a full wipe of my phone and did NOT log me back into my account when it rebooted. His thought was that maybe something got corrupted in my iCloud backup (wifi settings, saved passwords, contacts information, who knows).

So, if it using the "blank" phone worked then he would work with me to restore minimum items from iCloud to figure it out. He also pointed out that my work-provided iPhone 8 would be another way to see if it is my iPhone 11 or a possible issue with the Honda infotainment system. Duh, I never thought of doing that. I went back out to the car and the "blank" iPhone 11 did not bring up Apple carplay and neither did my work-provided iPhone 8.

Sooo, I need to drop off my car at the Honda dealer to have them run whatever diagnostic they will run on the infotainment system. Scheduling right now sucks the week before Christmas, and we are heading out of town 2 days after Christmas for a week. Sooo, looks like I'm back on the galaxy s10 until at least January. My prediction is that Honda blames it on Apple, which I won't be able to refute, and I'll be selling the iphone 11 and ipad air on ebay within the month. This has been an interesting lesson in not falling for the urban myth of Apple's greatness. Lesson learned the expensive way too.

With my iPhone XR on iOS 13.3, I've only had one issue with CarPlay on Ford Sync where I plugged in the phone and Sync wouldn't pull up CarPlay. On next drive, everything was fine. Chalked it up to a fluke.

Since both the iPhone 11 and iPhone 8 didn't work, it's more likely an issue with the car than the devices. If available, maybe check an iPhone that's running an older version of iOS.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Final Update...I hope. Took the Accord to the dealer and they did indeed install a software update. Got it back today and Carplay works just fine. Got the iPhone 11 set up again, which was really, really easy compared to setting up a new Android phone - even when I install from a Nova launcher backup. Didn't need to re-input any passwords once I hit the restore from iCloud. Didn't have to log back into any of my apps or set up my email account, and the apps all went back to the same spots on the home screens.

And as a bonus, first time I used the iPad in 4 days and somehow this time Plants vs Zombies 2 did give me the option of selecting the Android version profile. This made me really really happy, because I have some damn fine plants I got playing tournaments that you cannot buy in that profile. First time getting into the app on the iPad choosing the profile as not even an option. So, for today anyway, seems like I'm back on the iphone train. Merry Christmas everyone...

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Same here. My Dad broke his screen on his iPhone 6S and didnt want to replace the phone. Took it into the local Ubreakifix and they had the screen replaced in a day. They even broke the proximity sensor, told me about it, ordered the part, and replaced it free when the part came in. I can't ask for anything more from them, they were totally up front and made things right without me saying an extra word.
+1

I really like them a lot, I have used them twice and had good experiences when I had a Pixel. They are/were (not sure if this is still the case as I haven't followed this lately) an authorized service provider for Pixel phones as well.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Final Update...I hope. Took the Accord to the dealer and they did indeed install a software update. Got it back today and Carplay works just fine. Got the iPhone 11 set up again, which was really, really easy compared to setting up a new Android phone - even when I install from a Nova launcher backup. Didn't need to re-input any passwords once I hit the restore from iCloud. Didn't have to log back into any of my apps or set up my email account, and the apps all went back to the same spots on the home screens.

And as a bonus, first time I used the iPad in 4 days and somehow this time Plants vs Zombies 2 did give me the option of selecting the Android version profile. This made me really really happy, because I have some damn fine plants I got playing tournaments that you cannot buy in that profile. First time getting into the app on the iPad choosing the profile as not even an option. So, for today anyway, seems like I'm back on the iphone train. Merry Christmas everyone...

That's good to hear that all is good with your devices now. May the iPhone work out for you in 2020.

Ambreen Mustafa

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I've been using samsung since note 2. currently on s10+ cuz note 9 was too big and heavy. I've been tempted to the dark side for a while. m thinking about switching to iPhone 11. but I have a huge music library which was been ported from galaxy to galaxy. and I am totally locked into samsung ecosystem (galaxy watch active 2 and galaxy buds). I have ipad mini so that's something. but still itll be super expensive to switch. though I guess I can make the transition slowly as both will work somehow with iphone anyways. but m still super double minded... would definitely miss Bixby routines