S20 ultra x 2 phone calls breaking up in house

Feb 11, 2023
Visit site
Hi All,
First post here, looking for some help, both myself and my wife have Samsung S20 Ultra phones, both with the exact same issue, we live within 200m of a 4g mast and when in the house we have frequent issues with the phone calls breaking up to the point you cant hear anything, was fine when using the WiFi calling prior to the new mast being installed and my old phone i had which was a Huawei P20 pro was fine also, no issues at all, same with my wife's phone which was the same, but when we got the S20 ultra's (I got mine first, hers was purchased a year later) both have exactly the same issue.

Any ideas what this could be and how to fix it?

Thanks
Robert

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Maybe not an ideal solution, but can you change your Preferred Network Type to 4G LTE only (essentially turning off 5G) while you're home?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
We dont have 5g at home? Would that make a difference?

You're saying that your plan doesn't have 5G? The reason I'm suggesting that you turn off 5G on the phone is in case the phone is having problems constantly switching between 5G and 4G.

You mentioned that there's a new 4G mast near you -- does that mean it doesn't broadcast 5G at all?

Feb 11, 2023
Visit site
You're saying that your plan doesn't have 5G? The reason I'm suggesting that you turn off 5G on the phone is in case the phone is having problems constantly switching between 5G and 4G.

You mentioned that there's a new 4G mast near you -- does that mean it doesn't broadcast 5G at all?

Our plans have 5g yes, but where we live in Shetland there is no 5g available on any mast, including the one near us, 4g only. So the phone isn't switching, its either on 4g or wifi.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's still worth turning off the 5G radio, in case that's still somehow interfering. Just as a test.

Feb 11, 2023
Visit site
It's still worth turning off the 5G radio, in case that's still somehow interfering. Just as a test.

Tried that, made no difference to either phone, both still doing the same thing, but having now tested it it seems that if you hang up and call again, sometimes it takes two goes, then it clears up. The odd time it's clear the first time, but more often than not it's not. If we switch the 4g off and go to WiFi calling then it's clear. funny thing is, if you go outside the house and switch the WiFi off it works fine, but inside it's not, maybe it's something to do with the antenna in the phones and the amount of insulation in the house. Really have no idea now.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is your wi-fi router 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, or both? If you're using the 2.4 GHz band, see if you can change the wi-fi channel in the router settings. (I don't think it would matter as much for the 5 GHz channel, but if you have an option to change the channel for 5 GHz, then try that as well.)

Feb 11, 2023
Visit site
Is your wi-fi router 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, or both? If you're using the 2.4 GHz band, see if you can change the wi-fi channel in the router settings. (I don't think it would matter as much for the 5 GHz channel, but if you have an option to change the channel for 5 GHz, then try that as well.)

It runs on both frequencies, but it's a locked router from the provider, so cant change the settings in it which is a shame or i would've tried this. Maybe will try switching off the router all together and test a few phone calls, see what happens.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What's the exact model number of the router, and who's the ISP? I can do a search to see if there's any way to access its settings.