S21 Ultra and diminishing coverage issues?

EODK9Trainer

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Wife has an IPhone while I have the Ultra. When we bought this house 7 years ago in the mountains the first thing we did was check coverage for the phones as I had to be reachable for work at the time. This house was great and 4G has always shown on my phone. We don't have 5G here. But in the last couple months we've seen worsening issues with things slow to open and so on. A couple friends in the area are saying they are seeing the issues as well. A friend many states away wondered if it was a "throttling" issue but when I say we have very few neighbors for miles around we really have very few. Not that this may make a difference. I can see 4G in the upper right hand corner of my phone but it is rarely lit like it was all the time. Is this an ongoing Verizon issue for all or most or does this sound like an issue limited to us?

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Does your wife's phone have the same problem? Are your neighbors also on Verizon? Is your wife's phone also capable of 5g? You may want to contact Verizon. I'm speculating here, but I wonder if it could be that your phone is spending time looking for a 5g signal before giving up and settling on the 4g. In the past, phones had a setting to change your signal to only look for a 3g signal instead of a 4g signal. I'm not sure if there is a way to do the same with 5g phones but it's worth trying if possible. Maybe someone else can chime in or have better ideas.

EODK9Trainer

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I believe hers is also 5G compatible. We just do not have that out our way. Several friends who live within 5 miles are seeing the same issues and they also have Verizon. The phones are working the vast majority of time. We just see a lot more lagging now than we ever did before.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You mentioned that the issue seems to be apps being slow to open -- that wouldn't have anything to do with your cell reception. Have you tried testing apps in Safe Mode? You'd only be able to test preinstalled apps, but assuming you were seeing slow opening in general on the phone, it should still be a helpful troubleshooting step. www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

EODK9Trainer

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I guess I should have said the phone is just lagging in general. As is the wife's Apple. In general Verizon used to kick butt in our area but not for the last 2-3 months or so.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Right, but poor signal in itself would not cause general lagging. See how it is in Safe Mode.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I guess I should have said the phone is just lagging in general. As is the wife's Apple. In general Verizon used to kick butt in our area but not for the last 2-3 months or so.
2 phones on different operating system seems like Verizon is the issue or the coverage in your area

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
But it could also be some 3rd party app that the user habitually installs on all of their phones ...
I mean it's a possibility but the way it sounds on 2 different operating system , just my opinion but they can try safe mode not aware iPhone has that mode , these types of issues are hard to troubleshoot in a Forum for sure

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I mean it's a possibility but the way it sounds on 2 different operating system , just my opinion but they can try safe mode not aware iPhone has that mode , these types of issues are hard to troubleshoot in a Forum for sure

Upon re-reading the OP, I believe you're right. First, I missed that this was also happening on an iPhone, and second, I realized that the OP is probably talking about websites being slow to open (or apps slow to open because they're waiting to connect to the web). Sorry about that -- carry on!:)

EODK9Trainer

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
The wife (IPhone) and I have the same issues and hers often seem worse. But a couple neighbors piped in saying they were having issues as well with Verizon very similar to ours. One has an Android and I am not sure about the other. Both live within 5 miles of me.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
2 phones on different operating system seems like Verizon is the issue or the coverage in your area

This seems to be a common issue in areas where they're switching cell towers over from 4G to 5G. The 4G seems to be taking a hit at the expense of the 5G :-\

EODK9Trainer

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm out of town for a few days so haven't been able to see how it is working at home. I'd hate to switch from Verizon but we'll have to see how it keeps going.

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Something going on with Verizon lately with coverage

I have been having issues as well. Something has been going on for the majority of the year. I am not a fan of the supposed benefits of 5G as they are being rolled out with Verizon. This is around the metro DC area. Good thing I mostly use wifi........

Screenshot 2022-05-20 150847.png

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm