S22/Android 12/Android Auto

vladfan

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Works great on my 2018 Ford Explorer. Had a couple of issues early on but none since the latest update.

From what I understand Android Auto is no longer a standalone app. It is now "baked" into the the phone as a part of the OS.

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Well thank you all, that's very re-assuring. So, have I misunderstood what I was reading, I thought I read that Android Auto will be discontinued with Android 12.

Android Auto has split into two parts, one for USB or wireless connection to auto head units and another for phone screen alone with Bluetooth.

The app store app has become part of the system. Android 12 doesn't use the Play Store app. But it still works as usual, and all the settings are available. Just search Android Auto in settings. Driving mode is for use on the phone screen while driving.

A lot of people have had to upgrade the cables they use for the USB connection with Android 12.

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Works great for me in 2 vehicles.
Just ensure you have an MFI rated usb cord.... There are some connections issues with basic cables

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Android Auto has split into two parts, one for USB or wireless connection to auto head units and another for phone screen alone with Bluetooth.

The app store app has become part of the system. Android 12 doesn't use the Play Store app. But it still works as usual, and all the settings are available. Just search Android Auto in settings. Driving mode is for use on the phone screen while driving.

A lot of people have had to upgrade the cables they use for the USB connection with Android 12.
Saw an article a while back (which I can't find now) but it states pretty much the same... Tried switching to a MFI rated cable and been working great ever since

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I've had issues with Waze on my Flip 3 freezing up and after swapping around cables, not sure if they are MFI or not, it stopped.

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Can you please explain this statement in more detail?

Android Auto has always been fussy about cables. (It seem to be even more fussy with Pixel 6 series which I've been using.) I've seen a number of conversations where people tried all sorts of solutions before breaking down and getting a new cable. It needs a good quality and durable cable. I'm using an Anker USB-C to USB-A cable without any issues at all.

Check out this article: https://www.androidcentral.com/best-usb-c-cables-android-auto

dj_paige

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Follow-up: I have purchased a Samsung Galaxy S22, and just like you guys said, Android Auto works perfectly well. Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

I note that Android Auto does not appear as an app in my App Drawer (is that the correct name for it?) but if I type Android Auto into the search it does show up. I find that odd, because on my previous phone there was an Android Auto app in my App Drawer, but since everything seems to work correctly, I'm okay with it!

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Follow-up: I have purchased a Samsung Galaxy S22, and just like you guys said, Android Auto works perfectly well. Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

I note that Android Auto does not appear as an app in my App Drawer (is that the correct name for it?) but if I type Android Auto into the search it does show up. I find that odd, because on my previous phone there was an Android Auto app in my App Drawer, but since everything seems to work correctly, I'm okay with it!
Congratulations on your new phone... That is correct Android auto is in advance features now in the settings not a standalone app I think it's been like that for a little bit now with the latest update...

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Congratulations on your new phone... That is correct Android auto is in advance features now in the settings not a standalone app I think it's been like that for a little bit now with the latest update...
You can still delete it though if you don't have a use for it.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
On my S22 Ultra I can disable it from settings / apps not delete ...
I guess you are correct, but you can take it down to where it takes up zero bytes.
6b1bbd96f13ba4ebc9d59e7a539d1bca.jpg
05a9206d315f48ecb2d693d9f065ffe0.jpg

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone having an issue with Google Maps not showing in Android Auto? It works fine on my Note 9 but doesn't show up on my Ultra :-\

Last edited:

droidman401

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have held off purchasing a new S22 because I keep reading that Android Auto will not work on the S22/Android 12. Android Auto is one of the key apps that I rely on heavily. Can anyone confirm that it doesn't work and/or that Android Auto is being discontinued on Android 12?

I also keep reading that Android Auto will be replaced by Google Assistant Driving Mode, but the details are sparse. In particular, my question is that does this Google Assistant Driving Mode work with my car's (2019 Honda Insight) 7.4 inch touchscreen head unit? Can the Google Assistant Driving Mode map be shown on my head unit, or is it entirely limited to the phone screen? If it can be shown on the head unit, is the map and application expanded for the Landscape mode of the head unit screen, or does it fit a portrait mode view of the map onto the head unit screen with lots of blank space?

I have a 2020 Nissan and Android Auto works with my S22+

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Saw an article a while back (which I can't find now) but it states pretty much the same... Tried switching to a MFI rated cable and been working great ever since

Do you have a link for the cable you bought? When I do a search for MFI, mostly Iphone chargers come up.

INF1DELx4

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
From what I can tell, based on different forums, s22 ultra android auto seems to work on 2018 and newer vehicles with factory radios that support android auto. I have a Pioneer DMH-2600NEX deck that supports android auto. My fiance's z flip 3 works great, my s22 ultra does not. We both have the same version of Android auto. So its definitely something with the s22 ultra's. Samsung support says to replace the phone if its not working with android auto.