S3 A good iPod Touch replacement? (Want more iPod storage)

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, I'm brand new here, so please excuse my newbieness :-[

In September of last year I purchased a BlackBerry Curve 9360 to renew a 3 year contract with Telus. As my first smartphone is was good...until it crapped out 5 months later. Ever since it has had inconsistent battery life to the point that I can't trust it to last me the whole day, and daily freezes requiring several reboots and lost text messages. I'm fed up and can't wait on RIM any longer for BB10, and even though I'd like to support a Canadian brand, I don't have enough confidence with RIM. So, I have my sights set on the Galaxy S3.

I'm expecting a fairly easy transition to droid. I'm by no means a tech junky but I'm not technologically challenged either. I consider myself slightly more savy than the average user. One thing I'm wondering about is rooting. Will it be of any benefit to me as a first time droid user? Or should I just let it be?

I'm wondering also if I should use the S3 to replace my phone and iPod touch. I like the iPod a lot, but I only use it for travel. I have a lot of music and like to have large library available. I use iTunes and enjoy it a lot, and I also have a lot of apps on the App Store. The problem is my iPod is only 8GB and is running very low on memory. So I've considered buying my friend's 32GB iPod touch to increase my storage space. However...lately I've been thinking that maybe the S3 would replace them both. I'd have to buy some apps over again on Google Play and so the App Store ones would be wasted.

I use my phone more than my iPod. I listen to music on it every day on the Bus. I'm not too keen on playing games on my phone on the bus (mostly since I have a BlackBerry, and gaming and BlackBerry don't mix) so if I buy the 32GB iPod I'd still put music on the S3 regardless.

I'm looking for opinion here; do you see the S3 as a replacement for the iPod? Should I keep my 8GB for mostly music and put most of my apps on the S3, or buy the used 32GB and use it for the apps? I suppose the iPhone would be a solution for one device but...iOS can't compare to Android ;)

Thanks in advance!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
with a good sd card you can throw the ipod touch away.
as for rooting, its good to get rid of carrier apps but u can just disable them.
it also lets you flash unofficial firmware but we should hopefully be getting Jellybean soon so id just get the phone, customise it as much as you can without root and if thats not enough then read up on rooting.
trying not to be un-biased, the s3, note 2 and Htc One X are the best android phones but if u wana replace your ipod, the Htc doesnt have expandable memory (not sure about the note 2)
hope u enjoy whatever choice you make and these forums will make the change to android 100x easier no matter how techy u are ;)

p.s, invest in a good android music player app like PowerAmp and get MXplayer for vids

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I use both my ipod and SGS3, why waste battery life of one device when you can have 2 devices

I probably charge my ipod once every 5 days, and I use it like 3-4 hours a day

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
good point Chaos, i hadnt thought of it battery wise.
id still prefer to carry one device and spare battery. even in scottish winter i tend to wear jeans and t-shirt or maybe a hoody so my phones in left pocket, keys/change in right pocket, spare battery in back if i had one.
what advantages (other than the apps) does the ipod have over the s3 as a media player?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
good point Chaos, i hadnt thought of it battery wise.
id still prefer to carry one device and spare battery. even in scottish winter i tend to wear jeans and t-shirt or maybe a hoody so my phones in left pocket, keys/change in right pocket, spare battery in back if i had one.
what advantages (other than the apps) does the ipod have over the s3 as a media player?

There's no gap in between tracks, which happens with the stock media player occasionally

Other than that, I haven't really seen any advantages the ipod has over it

It's the only ios device I own and it serves one purpose, playing music and occasionally podcasts

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
get Poweramp then and alter the crossfade between tracks :p
gota say, apart from the way apple do business, if i was to buy a mp3/media player it would prob be a Sony Walkman.... dont think il ever lose my Sony fanboyness lol

Sony Nexus *drool* :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think you're right. The S3 would best the iPod. I think what I'll do is keep my 8GB for now and wait until I upgrade the phone. I still like some apps that are iOS exclusive (namely Zombie Gunship. That game is amazing, lol.) and some that I can't get anymore like Rock Band. The only ting is I'll have to bring both devices traveling. Not a huge deal but it's nice to limit what I bring.

As for rooting, thanks for the advice. I was wondering, does disabling the bloatware and carrier apps really make a performance difference, or do you need to actually delete them to boost performance?

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I would keep the iPod jut as back up but look into AirSync, its a paid app (not that much) and it'll let you wirelessly sync iTunes over any wireless network. Other than that you just need a high capacity mSD card (I use 32GB) and you should be set! If you want to take it a step further and don't like the stock music player then try PowerAmp, its enhancements and EQ are amazing and the user interface is simply amazing!

It would be a lot easier traveling with just the S3 because just about anywhere you go (In country or international) the micro USB form charger is a standard around the world and you can buy a charger for only a few dollars online.

Once you try some TegraZone games I think Zombie Gunship and Rock Band will start to look like cartoon drawings!

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Champion yeah you're right. Keeping the iPod as a backup is a good idea. I'll look into those music player apps you were all talking about once i get the phone in a few weeks.

Once you try some TegraZone games I think Zombie Gunship and Rock Band will start to look like cartoon drawings!

They may look good, but it's hard to beat Zombie Gunship ;) simply too much fun. Hoping for an android release.

Also, as a Blackberry user I enjoy very much the LED notification light. The S3 has one and that is a very attractive feature for me. I've heard Light Flow doesn't work so well on the S3. Apparently the battery life is cut down by it and it's a bit glitchy. Anyone have these issues; is there an alternative? Or does it work fine? Keep in mind I'll be using the i747 version with Telus.

Thanks guys!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
light flow is glitchy on unrooted north american s3s mate yeah but im sure the dev is workin on it. he's been on this forum :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

ddasher

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
No one's mentioned sound quality but with a good set of phones and high quality MP3s its great on the SGS3. Whilst I still rip in iTunes I transfer tracks directly to a 32GB card. My player of choice is PlayerPro.

ajujumag.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348456968690.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348456968690.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 131

Dreissig

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
There's no gap in between tracks, which happens with the stock media player occasionally

Other than that, I haven't really seen any advantages the ipod has over it

Has the S3 default player (or other android players) got the ability to let me type my own lyrics into the file and view them as the track plays like iOS lets me? That's one of my favourite things about ipods as music players and is a factor in why I haven't used my S3 for my music library.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I know power amp has an extension app that automatically pulls the lyrics from online but I'm not sure if it lets you edit the lyrics.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I know power amp has an extension app that automatically pulls the lyrics from online but I'm not sure if it lets you edit the lyrics.

"Musix Match" its pretty cool man. embaressing when you realise youve had a lyric wrong for years lol.
PowerAmp is sublime, as is Player Pro. i had a problem with Player Pro that made me choose poweramp but i honestly cant remember what it was,... poweramp looks sexyer anyway and the Facebook Share widget is great :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I can't wait to pick up my S3! Now if only Telus would release a titanium grey version :cool:

is Telus the gt-i9300T that everyone is hacking to get rid of the T and make it a gt-i9300?

shandycat

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
How well does the Galaxy S3 work as an mp3 player in the car with the aux jack? That's where I usually listen to my iPod. Is the sound quality good enough to replace my iPod Classic that's on its last legs? I'm planning to get an S3 on Monday (October 1) and I'd rather not buy both a new phone AND a new iPod if I don't have to, and knowing if Ican load all my tunes on it and use it in the car will help me decide between the 16GB and 32GB version of the S3.

Thanks!

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The S3 has an expandable memory via a mSD Card so it doesn't really matter what size device you get (16 or 32gb) because you can get a 32gb or even a 64gb memory card for dirt cheap online.

If you use iTunes as your major music manager or you are just familiar with iTunes and don't wanna change then look into Double Twist player with Airtwist (The player is free but the Airtwist add on is paid). Just load up the app and load up the companion application on your computer and once synced together it starts transferring all the music you select and even play lists straight from iTunes! It may take a while the first time but after that it's pretty fast at updating play lists and adding a few songs here and there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene