S3 rooting questions

Matt Lieber

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
I want to install a Custom-ROM on my Galaxy SIII SGH-1747 to give it another good year or two of life and make it more battery efficient. I am not a software developer or coder but have read a lot about this.

1. Is there a way root the phone and install the custom ROM that is truly as straightforward as the 6-8 minute videos on YouTube and XDA show? What difficulties are they not showing that I should anticipate?

2. What is the most stable custom ROM -- CyanogenMod 12? Other one I should put on there?

3. What Samsung features will I give up from moving off their firmware? For instance, will the camera work as well on Cyanogen as it does on the official Samsung KitKat?

I can live with some minor risk of bricking the phone, but need to minimize that risk. Successfully getting Cyanogen on there would be a huge accomplishment. I have Lollipop on my Galaxy tablet and the difference with KitKat is night and day in speed, performance, and battery drain.

Thanks!!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Sorry about the delay. Some carriers make rooting difficult. ATT is one of them. In your rooting searches, include your device model number, carrier, and Android version. That might help clear up results that are outdated.

As far as ROMs... CM is OK. I have run Slim, Carbon, and Liquid. Slim was the most stable, Liquid looked and felt nice, but was buggy. Carbon was the balanced one.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ashwita