S4 Data folder blank on PC when connected by USB

MagicMike Kelley

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
ARG - I'm a pretty astute trouble Shooting SOB, but I can't seem to get the files on my S4 or the SD card to show up in explorer when it's plugged in.

I downloaded the appropriate drivers. I even tried turning on USB debugging in developer options.

I'm sure I can use dropbox, Slink or whatever the hell the other one is but this shouldn't be necessary...someone help me out perty please.

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
ARG - I'm a pretty astute trouble Shooting SOB, but I can't seem to get the files on my S4 or the SD card to show up in explorer when it's plugged in.

I downloaded the appropriate drivers. I even tried turning on USB debugging in developer options.

I'm sure I can use dropbox, Slink or whatever the hell the other one is but this shouldn't be necessary...someone help me out perty please.
May sound silly but the phone is not locked right>?

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
As locked with a PIN. If I connect my phone while it is locked, nothing dispalys in Windows. Once unlocked, everything comes up fine.

Posted via Android Central App

MagicMike Kelley

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I'll try again just for ****s-n-giggles. I had it unlocked though - because I was attempting to get it to reinitialize by switching between MTP, PTP and back again.

Brian Tui

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S4 may be connected as Camera instead of Connected as Media.

1. Pull down Notification panel
2. Verify "Connected as Camera" or "Connected as a media device"
3. If Connected as Camera then that's why files are not being displayed.
4. From the Notifcation panel on the Galaxy s4 click on "Connected as Camera"
5. Select checkbox "Media device (MTP)"
6. Windows will automatically install the appropriate USB driver
7. Now open windows explorer and navigate to your S4. Your files should now be visible.

ProfessorFart

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Brian. Solved the problem for me in seconds. You sir are a genius....

I too have been struggling with this issue for some time and have been trawling the net for a good while looking for a solution, but as ever it seemed no one knew their back side from their elbow until I saw your reply and it worked. I has a external drive die on me and had to replace some files I had on my Galaxy S4 32GB SD card but they were showing up as empty.

Now after following your advice and changing the way my phone is read by windows via USB I have some much needed and much missed files back on hard disk.

All I did was change 'connected as a camera'; (which is the default setting I believe) to 'connected as a media device and now all files can be seen and copied to my PC....

TLynn2028

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
If you are just trying to transfer your pictures and videos, open the file manager on your PC and right click on the drive that your USB is plugged into. Click on transfer pictures/videos and there you go :) Hope this helps, I just fell upon it!

JMK60

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Yep, YOU DA' MAN Brian. Had this same problem for a long time and finally found this thread. Never knew there was that choice to make.

Elina Manandhar

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Ohhhhhhhh hahahah LOLL now that was funnyy I had recentlyy Locked my gallerryy with a "Smart Lock" APP... And I Not in a MILLIONNNN Yeaarssssssssss would have IMAGINNEDD that could be thee causee!! Thankss to GOD I googled it and stumbled upon this thread and saw ur replyy hehehe Thankss (Wink)

rabbit punch

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
Hello! I've had the same problem
When you plug in your phone and unlock it , pull down the notification panel (swipe downwards on the phone starting from the top of the screen) . You will be given a few options. Select "File transfer" (or whatever option they give you since the exact wording of this option my be different from phone to phone - ex. on the galaxy it will say "media device"). You should now be able to move files to and from your device. Hope this helps!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yessica8yessica