S8 what do we think?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I personally like that Samsung has moved to on screen buttons. To add to it, the ability to change the order.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I was hell bent in not getting the s8 because they went for on screen buttons and moved the FPS around the back. After a few hours with the s8 Plus and I wondered why I was so against them to begin with and it was an easy transition. I kept the nav buttons in the order Samsung always have and kept the virtual home button always on. The FPS is still a pain though even with a case on to guide your finger to it

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I was hell bent in not getting the s8 because they went for on screen buttons and moved the FPS around the back. After a few hours with the s8 Plus and I wondered why I was so against them to begin with and it was an easy transition. I kept the nav buttons in the order Samsung always have and kept the virtual home button always on. The FPS is still a pain though even with a case on to guide your finger to it
On screen and rear have been the proper way to go for years :) welcome to the 20th century.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
On screen and rear have been the proper way to go for years :) welcome to the 20th century.

Yep. I really like that one physical failure point is gone and, as I can now unlock the phone to the home screen using either index finger on the FPS, I rarely use the power button either.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the S8+. While there is a lot to like about this phone it undoubtedly feels like an incomplete product. Clear omissions like the awkwardly placed fingerprint sensor and lack of any semblance of photographic prowess like the one found on the iPhone 7 Plus with its dual camera make this release feel a bit rushed. I think the Note 8 will be what the S8+ should have been. Overall it is a solid device and it is my daily driver now, despite the fact that I have both the iPhone 7 Plus and the S8+. The display alone makes it very difficult to go back to using an iPhone at this stage.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Verizon S8+ yesterday. I upgraded from a S7 edge. Yes, I do think it is a worthy upgrade from the edge.

I was not going to get one, I was just going to wait for the Note 8. I am still going to get the Note 8, but I am very glad I got the S8+ in the interim.

A few things I like are the removal of the physical home button and the addition of the on screen keys. I like the iris scanner. Even though I have only had the phone for a day the battery life is obviously quite good.

I am not sure yet about the display ratio, it is extremely long and hard to reach towards the top of the display. I do however like the amount of information I can see on the screen at one time. I do not like the placement of the fingerprint sensor, but it is easy to find with a case and it is very fast.

That's it for now, just my first impressions. I have to hold and manipulate the phone a little bit different than the S7 edge, but that is something I will bet used to. Overall, I really like the S8+ a lot. It is smooth, fast and an enjoyable smartphone experienceツ

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I give it the thumbs up this year. :)

Normally we see incremental improvements to the camera, processor and maybe battery but Samsung have made a huge design overhaul this year and i think it looks fantastic. The only gripe is the finger print sensor which could be placed in a better position but there seems to be mixed reviews about people liking and disliking it. As a previous BB10 user, Im very accustomed to having no physical navigation buttons below the screen so that for me is actually a positive thing that Samsung ditched them.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Man, I loves that phone but the curved glass isn't for me. I gotta have a screen protector on a device I'm spending over $700 on. It's just a peace of mind thing. I took my S8+ back for a G6.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I picked up an unlocked S8 from Samsung when they offered those great deals. Getting an S8 for $424.00 was too good to pass up. I wasn't thrilled with the fingerprint sensors location at first but have gotten used to it and with a case I haven't found it to difficult to locate. I'm also not the biggest fan of Touch Wiz (I really like pure Android) but with Nova Launcher installed it's not too obtrusive. Overall I'd have to say I'm happy with it.