S9 - One Drop, One Cracked Screen

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I don't trust spigen cases ever since my brother cracked the screen on good s7e in a neo hybrid case. A pocket height fall onto a kitchen floor shouldn't break a screen.
Depends on the angles, speed, etc. A 5" fall onto carpet can break the screen if it's at the right angle. One of the major complaints about that ugly edge display is how much it's compromising the structural integrity of the display.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
No, he isn't. I'm just going to live with it for now.

It's a spider crack in the top left corner of the screen. Right where the notifications pop up. I'm going to put my Dome Glass protector on it and hope it isn't very noticeable.

It's $220 at a local Samsung certified shop to replace the screen. Sucks that they manufactured this phone so that you have to take apart the entire phone to change the screen, makes it very expensive to repair.

If I can't live with it, I'll pony up the $220 to get it fixed and see if my buddy will contribute. And maybe over a couple months the cost to fix the screen will go down. Does anyone know if it usually goes down? And how long it takes until it does go down?

Don't forget you lose the water resistance.

Squarrow

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
First off. Sorry bro, that stinks. Second and this is more for other folks, why pay $800 for a phone and then cheap out on the case? It blows my mind. I paid $45 my Tech21 case but the materials aren't just hard plastic. I've dropped my X several times on the concrete patio, the hardwood floors etc. and it has survived many times.

Plus, most stores worth their salt have a one year walk in and swap out warranty exchange. The option to try the fit and finish of the case, people who work there that see day in and day out phones that always seem to make it through drops in XYZ brand cases and may even be able to offer insight (again, if worth their salt). But folks are too smart for that. They get their Notterbox from Amazon.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Will I get banned by a moderator if I say throw the phone at your buddy and put a crack in his forehead? Just asking for a friend

monil

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I expected more from a phone this expensive

Like what? Stop labeling expensive as more durable. If you want durability, go for the "Active" series. They are rugged and designed for drops and rough handling. Samsung never claimed that this phone is "drop proof". If you mis-handle your phone, it is going to break.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Like what? Stop labeling expensive as more durable. If you want durability, go for the "Active" series. They are rugged and designed for drops and rough handling. Samsung never claimed that this phone is "drop proof". If you mis-handle your phone, it is going to break.

yeah man the other day I bought a $100k M5 and was surprised when I crashed at 80 mph it didn't hold up very well and I had to pay for repairs, I didn't expect having to pay for repairs on a 100k car

monil

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
yeah man the other day I bought a $100k M5 and was surprised when I crashed at 80 mph it didn't hold up very well and I had to pay for repairs, I didn't expect having to pay for repairs on a 100k car

I expected more from a car this expensive

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
People always do this. Their device gets dropped and breaks and they claim its built horribly. There's so many factors that go into this. But most notable is it's a glass phone with a curved screen. Of course if you drop the phone it's more prone to breaking then a plastic or metal device.

That's why I dont let people hold my phone. If they drop it and it breaks are they going to pay for it. Probably not. Sorry to hear your phone broke though. But anything can break when dropped.

I think that's a little unfair. Samsung's since the S8 are about as fragile with drops as the iPhone 4 these days. OP, you will take a lot of heat for saying a phone should be able to take a small drop from 4ft.

I agree with you that HTC phones have been and are durable. I won't buy another glass phone after my Note 8. It wasn't dropped and I still ended up with a crack on the back when I took my case off it to sell it. Glass phones suck, IMO.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I think that's a little unfair. Samsung's since the S8 are about as fragile with drops as the iPhone 4 these days.
How is it unfair. Don't drop your phone. It's made of glass. What do you expect to happen. I would think it's fairly straight forward. No where did they say its drop proof. The materials used are self explanatory. Glass. And the front is curved glass. Of course the risks of breaking are higher.

missmotta

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
This is why I wish that would make a flat screen version. Those curves are hard to protect.

Me too. I ove this phone but I didn't get the s8 for this very reason. I finally caved and now I'm deathly afraid of breaking it. I don't know how many times I dropped my s7 over the years with a Spigen ultra hybrid case with zero problems. Sigh. I'm sorry that happened to you.

pedrouliani

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
It depends on how strong the phone crashed, I always use glass screen protector and a silicone case to protect it cause I’d die if there’s a stratch

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
The OP is at fault for letting their buddy hold their phone in the first place and for spending $800 on a phone and then NOT buying a case for it. The OP buddy needs to pay the $220 for the repair and then OP needs to buy a case for their phone.

I spent half as much as the OP on my Nokia 8 and I still bought a case for it!!!!

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
The OP is at fault for letting their buddy hold their phone in the first place and for spending $800 on a phone and then NOT buying a case for it. The OP buddy needs to pay the $220 for the repair and then OP needs to buy a case for their phone.

I spent half as much as the OP on my Nokia 8 and I still bought a case for it!!!!

I don't use a case in a lot of occasions mainly I put the case at work and some times at the gym. If it breaks it breaks lol

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Wow that sucks. Your friend should be paying for it since he is the one who dropped it and cracked it. I have the Note 8 in a Spigen Liquid crystal case and it has fallen on floors face down hard and on concrete when I slipped on ice - face down - with no result of any cracks on the screen. Like someone said earlier there are many factors as to why it does break (angle, if it hit the corner, and if something small like a pebble hit it upon impact which would result in a crack). I really hope your friend does the right thing because he should be the one to pay for the repair