S9 Plus: Delayed notifications and can't manually update Android software with Google App enabled

TC_87

Jun 5, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm using a Galaxy S9 Plus running Android 8.0.0 (Samsung experience version 9.0), and with the Google application enabled am experiencing the following problems:

- Updates to installed apps through the Google Play store will download to 100%, but will not install. They will install one at a time if I close and re-open the Play store, but as you can imagine this isn't ideal;

- Attempting to "Download updates manually" (through Settings - Software update) is unresponsive. Occasionally, it will search for an update minutes later, but this isn't always the case;

- Notifications are delayed through apps like Facebook Messenger and The Score (sports app), pushing through hours after their timestamp.

I've attempted the following to no avail:

- Clearing the cache and data of the Google App itself, Google Play services and the Google Play Store;

- Removing battery optimization from affected apps;

- Uninstalling updates to the Google App;

- Reset network settings; and

- A factory reset

Once the Google app itself is disabled, the above problems no longer occur. It's not a major inconvenience, but I would consider the app to be somewhat "essential" to the user experience of the phone, as all native voice command capabilities are lost when disabled.

Has anyone experienced something similar, even on another device? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! I've cross-posted on the Android Helps subreddit and provide any updates I receive.