Samsung banking on Fortnite, misguided?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking Yes, for the following reasons:

- A 6.4" 18.5:9 wide display is a tad constrained. The Switch 16:9 seems the threshold.

- No organic/modular controls like the Switch. Touch is awkward in comparison.

- Core audience that typically buys the Note doesn't give a $h1t about Fortnite.

If they are trying to lure gamers, seems should have created and offered a controller for Fortnite, with similar ergonomics as the Switch controllers. I'd have bought that, BTW. There are kind of options, but all get in the way of speakers and ports.

Seems the umpteen millions they likely spent, could have been applied elsewhere.

BTW, am I the only one to wish Fortnite had offline bots? :)

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't play the game, but do we know Samsung bought licensing for that, or was it the game developers that paid Samsung for what amounts to advertising?

Echoes

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking Yes, for the following reasons:

- A 6.4" display is a tad constrained. The Switch at 7 " seems the threshold.

- No organic/modular controls like the Switch. Touch is awkward in comparison.

- Core audience that typically buys the Note doesn't give a $h1t about Fortnite.

If they are trying to lure gamers, seems should have created and offered a controller for Fortnite, with similar ergonomics as the Switch controllers. I'd have bought that, BTW. There are kind of options, but all get in the way of speakers and ports.

Seems the umpteen millions they likely spent, could have been applied elsewhere.

BTW, am I the only one to wish Fortnite had offline bots? :)

I'm confused when you talk about the Switch- the Switch has a 6.2 inch screen. The N9 (and N8) are bigger.

But in general I'm with you. I've done a lot of gaming over the years and I've never gotten to where the screen touch controls are comfortable. Pairing up a bluetooth controller is usually the best bet.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, was typing this in the car on my 9+. I was referring more to the display ratio. Poor reference. Point is the display and lack of controller makes it awkward.

Last edited:

Echoes

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I agree. I'd pretty much always rather play on my Switch or 3DS, but if some people play it and it helps sell phones then I guess it's a win-win for Samsung and Epic.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Samsung is missguided, they are expending the demographic and awareness:

People who have been looking for an Android port of Fortnite will be paying attention to how Epic Games handles this release. And despite the rumors, it is not limited to the Note 9 as of the unpacked event.

Developers looking for options around the Google Play Store will be paying attention to how Samsung and Epic Games handle this release.

Samsung will be generating interest in their own app store.

Getting a temporary exclusive on Fortnite is not a big thing, getting your brand out ahead in the 60+ billion dollar mobile gaming industry is.

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
How anyone would even need $150 in Fortnite or any game credit for that matter is beyond me. Remember when full PC and Console games were like $50 or $60 dollars and there were no microtransactions? Now we essentially have a $150 trial for a game you're going to play on your phone? How is that even possible.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
How anyone would even need $150 in Fortnite or any game credit for that matter is beyond me. Remember when full PC and Console games were like $50 or $60 dollars and there were no microtransactions? Now we essentially have a $150 trial for a game you're going to play on your phone? How is that even possible.

You don't really have to pay anything to play the actual game though. The money you spend in game is just on stuff like outfits, and different types of gear and skins and whatnot. $150 is probably more than anyone would ever spend on it in real money. The game is mega popular and a lot of kids play it so I can see where while yeah adults might not appreciate it - there might be parents that have good headphones already so they might get the Fortnite offer and let their kids use the Vbucks.

Idk, it is what it is. I'd rather have had a 512 GB sd card or even one of those duo chargers, but, you cant really complain about free either.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Better yet, I remember when full games were $20 or less. Lol. But the reason people "need" that much money now is because everything is becoming play to win. Gamers that go the grind method are shut out by those that just bought their upgrades.

And that's why I other single player games.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Still wish they would add bots :) That's a key reason why I still play the Unreal Tournament games. Fun offline as well.

Also still seems a Switch-like controller design, centric to the 9 series would have been a powerful addition to Fortnite and any gaming interests Samsung may have. Seems a profoundly huge missed opportunity. Fortnite alone seems incomplete as a result.

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Between the silly American color options and the stupid "prizes" (big glommy headphones or a kid's game) it seems Samsung has totally dumped the old target demographic of business people and educators (adults) . A lot of serious people forced to go to Apple if Android doesn't put out a business oriented phone with a stylus (pen).

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Regarding gaming, I'm a gamer (I've got the Switch, PS4, gaming computer, etc.). Never could get into phone gaming though due to the microtransactions. I don't mind paying $5 or even $10 on the Play/Galaxy Store for a game, but I don't want to get a "free" game and them get nickel and dimed. Samsung phones seem like they could be great for gaming, given their great specs, GPUs, Vulkan API, and (as of the Note 9) the cooling system. But it seems like all the popular games are based on microtransactions. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places, which is a fail on the part of Samsung's marketing team.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Buying is optional. Only if you care about skins and whatnot.

SpaceJamzz

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Micro transactions blow chunks. More games should have a one time pay option.

i would think the blame lies in those who purchase these micro transactions....

These companies are just offering services/products that people are buying...if you were a stock holder in one of these companies that was making money off them, would you still think they blew chunks?

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Between the silly American color options and the stupid "prizes" (big glommy headphones or a kid's game) it seems Samsung has totally dumped the old target demographic of business people and educators (adults) . A lot of serious people forced to go to Apple if Android doesn't put out a business oriented phone with a stylus (pen).

They know they have a lock on business oriented people. That group is going to buy cases but likely already have headphones, chargers, memory cards, power banks, etc. So why not try to grow the user base by targeting gamers?

The headphones aren't that bad. Not like gaming headphones or the larger over the ear type. And the popularity of Fortnite is insane right now. I have my account linked between my PC, Xbox and Note. Gamers need more cross platform support like that.

And as a parent of 2, plus being a gamer myself, I despise microtransactions but they're here to stay. Games like Roblox and Minecraft are cash cows.